Residence permit / paper work and documents

will do. We got married in Paraguay so I assume that the certificate doesn't have to be sent to the consulate.

No idea there, but I do know from previous experiences that "assuming" sometimes gets quite expensive with papers that have be sent back to country of origin via DHL to friends/family who will be prepared to do what you "assumed" wasn't necessary.

Diego,

We are in a similar situation, except my wife is a "former" Paraguayan who must now also apply for a resident cedula.  Property is in her name but Immegraciones told her (she visited them) that as long as we have a marriage certificate than the property counts for both of us. 

Of course, I've always been amazed that you can be told different answers to your questions when you ask them depending on the day, time, number of times asked, clerk you speak to, phase of the moon, etc...  Our back up plan would of been to have my name added to the property title, which would require our consulate notarized marriage certificate, some time and some money.

hey brad. thanks for the response. my wife and i were married in Paraguay but I am wondering if I should still send our marriage certificate to the consulate in L.A.
thank God that my wife only stuck with just having her residency and her cedula Paraguaya hasn't expired yet.

To be safe, I'd give the consulate in LA a call and ask them.  Common sense would say you should be good without having to send it (it is afterall a Paraguayan document!).   But like Nico pointed out earlier, it would really suck to pay $100's to DHL it back to the US, have freinds get it to the consulate, and then back to you in Paraguay via DHL!

majbjb wrote:

To be safe, I'd give the consulate in LA a call and ask them.  Common sense would say you should be good without having to send it (it is afterall a Paraguayan document!).   But like Nico pointed out earlier, it would really suck to pay $100's to DHL it back to the US, have freinds get it to the consulate, and then back to you in Paraguay via DHL!

If the document is issued in Paraguay and going to be used in Paraguay, why should it be legalized in the Pyan Consulate in the US?

Hi Diego2011,

I'm Canadian and my husband is Paraguayan.  We went through the whole process at the end of last year.  The only BIG difference, is that we got married in Germany.  So yes, we had to get everything legalised by the embassy first and then registered here in Paraguay. 

This should not apply to you, since you got married here and this means that your marriage is part of the Paraguay marriage registry.  I didn't even need the $$$ guarantee nor property.  As a spouse of a Paraguayan you even get your cédula first and then apply for the permanent residence.  As long as all your other papers are in order and stamped by the Paraguayan embassy in the country of origin, then you should not have any problems.  If you want I can get you the article nr (law).  Of course you still have to run around a lot here getting this and that stamped again, by different ministries, but that's bureaucracy for you!

If you want more detailed or specific information, you can also send me a PM.

Julie

Great information, thank you!

The website http://www.migraciones.gov.py/secciones is not working.  Any suggestions?

How about:   
www.migraciones.gov.py
Then check the section applying to you, for example:
"conyugues e hijos de connacionales"

On the embassy site [url=http://paraguay.usembassy.gov/shipping_instructions.html]the shipping instructions say to mark your crates as "Diplomatic Cargo" and have them shipped to the embassy.  Are these instructions for everyone or just for embassy employees?

If I don't have a Py address when I arrive, can I ship a few boxes to my hotel?  I've read that I need to get a bill of ladling from the Py embassy before shipping them out.  Does anyone know how this is done?

The dipomatic cargo is only for the embassy folks :)

The bill of ladling are your shipping documents provided by your shipper in the US, once you get these you need to get them  notarized or stamped at the PY embassy or consulate in the US.  As part of these documents there will be your inventory listing of all contents.

As for shipping to yourself at a hotel I would think that this would something to arrange with the hotel.

Hmmn, that's strange, lacanadiense.  I tried that very thing yesterday... reducing your posted link to www.migraciones.gov.py  I tried several times and couldn't get it to work.  Today, it works fine.

Is that a Paraguay snafoo?

Does anyone know if the FBI check needs anything special to be done with it besides sending it to the PY Consulate afterwards? The paperwork I got from the embassy on the process states "the FBI'S CJIS Division will authenticate results... IF REQUESTED AT THE TIME OF SUBMISSION. Documents prepared in this matter may then be sent to the US DEPT OF STATE AUTHENTICATIONS OFFICE by the requestor to be authenticated if necessary." Is this a step I have to complete????

It also states "Upon receiving your FBI Report, please come to the Consular section to request a cover letter signed and  sealed by the US Consul or Vice Consul whereby the note "No Arrest Record" in the certificate is made clear to the local authorities in Spanish. Your report WILL NOT be accepted by them without this cover letter." I take it this means to bring it to the US Embassy?????

Does anyone have any clarification as to whether or not I need to do these steps besides sending it to the consulate? Thanks!!!

We almost went with doing it the way you are, having the FBI send the completed paperwork to PY, although for us the mail wasn't deliverable to our address in PY so we were going to have it sent to the US embassy.  Since it was sort of confusing to do it that way, as you've found out, we contacted the US Embassy via email asking for clarification.  The response was many weeks later and sort of snotty, but I understood from it that they, or specifically the US consular section in PY, would recieve the paperwork, notarize or stamp it and then call us to come pick it up.  This stamping or notarizing must be the "cover sheet" they indicated to you.

Since their response was so late, we had gone ahead and had the FBI directly mail the forms to us in the States, where we just got it in time to get to the PY consulate and back before we left.  They were then accepted in PY with no problem.

If possible I'd suggest calling or going to the Consular section, you may get better service that way.

Good luck!

I'm responding to a few questions here:

FBI background check expiration date:  I thought I read somewhere that the background check should be no older than 6 months. 

Shipping:  I'm still trying to figure out the best method.  Since I've heard that you can't even pick up your shipment without a cedula and/or paying 40% tax on its value, and that mailing boxes is risky, I plan to fly my possessions over on the plane in extra trunks or suitcases.

Moving from another country outside the US:  You can order your birth/marriage/divorce docs to be sent from the US.  The tricky part is getting a US money order.  (You'll probably have to get someone from inside the US to do it for you.)  Some foreign countries will do a fingerprint card for you, but you'll probably still have to send it to the FBI for a background check.

Why Paraguay Consulate in US must stamp documents if you live in another country:  Just another rule to incur additional red tape and expense.

hi
I am from Indian.I am studying in New Zealnd.Where I can apply for my application.Do I need to send the application to embassy of paraguay in india.?where i can legallise my birth certifcate and police clerance certificate.where from i need to collect my police certificate??

g1000 wrote:

Hello, have anyone used Alice Neufeld services?

TomVacaville wrote:

Hi Corinne,

Here is the attorney who helped me get my residency and cedula:

Alice Neufeld & Asociados                   

Prof. Cesar Samaniego 1345,
Barrio - Santo Domingo,
Asunción-Paraguay

Postfach:
Casilla de Correo 1045, Asuncion-Paraguay
Email: [email protected]
Homepage:
alice-neufeld.com
farmland-online.com

I'd seriously think twice before using Alice Neufeld.  I visited her office in March 2011 and went through the residency application process. Here it is SEPTEMBER and I STILL HAVE NOT received a cedula or residency card.  Meanwhile, two of my associated who applied for residency after me, have already received their Paraguayan credentials.  Furthermore, she has been completely UNRESPONSIVE to ANY of my several emails and voicemail messages. 

When I was first contacting her about using her services for residency in Paraguay, she was ultra responsive.  Now that SHE HAS MY MONEY and I have NOTHING, I can't reach her to save my life!!!

She will talk your ear off and share outlandish stories.  Yet, in terms of delivering the result for which she was hired, SHE FAILS MISERABLY!!! 

Is she a crook?  Hard for me to say at this point.  However, I can share MY EXPERIENCE with ALICE NEUFELD which has resulted in zilch.  So, use your best judgment. 

Because my Spanish language skills are severely limited at the moment, getting any info from anyone else when I phone her office has proved fruitless.  I've tried phoning her office at various times of the day and night.

It would appear as though Ms. Neufeld has gone MIA with MY MONEY!!

If anyone has a direct line to Ms. Neufeld and is willing to assist me in getting my cedula/residency card, I would be eternally grateful and will recant this factual rant.

Otherwise, I will say, based on my experience using Alice Neufeld for residency, I would choose someone else!

Hello World Traveller.
You're story just sounds like a normal day in PY to me if you should ask. I have never met Alice Neufeld, but like I said, by what you write it just sounds like a normal PY story\day for me.
If you should be interested in what I have to say I'd say just sit back and start enjoying the Paraguayan way of life ;"if not today then tomorrow..."
The way things are going now it's gonna be way to soon here just like every other place on earth; state control over you're life almost 100% :nothappy:

World Traveler,

Thanks very much for your reply. You just saved me from future troubles. Have you prepaid 100% for Alice Neufeld services? My guess it is wise to split payments for each step.

Hi,

I have a couple questions.

1. I was born in France but am an American citizen. I suppose this means I need to get my birth certificate legalized by the Paraguayan consulate in France. Is this correct?

2. I'm not currently living in the US. Can I get my FBI record abroad?

3. Can I show up to Paraguay without a visa or must I get one before?

World_Traveler wrote:
g1000 wrote:

Hello, have anyone used Alice Neufeld services?

TomVacaville wrote:

Hi Corinne,

Here is the attorney who helped me get my residency and cedula:

Alice Neufeld & Asociados                   

Prof. Cesar Samaniego 1345,
Barrio - Santo Domingo,
Asunción-Paraguay

Postfach:
Casilla de Correo 1045, Asuncion-Paraguay
Email: [email protected]
Homepage:
alice-neufeld.com
farmland-online.com

I'd seriously think twice before using Alice Neufeld.  I visited her office in March 2011 and went through the residency application process. Here it is SEPTEMBER and I STILL HAVE NOT received a cedula or residency card.  Meanwhile, two of my associated who applied for residency after me, have already received their Paraguayan credentials.  Furthermore, she has been completely UNRESPONSIVE to ANY of my several emails and voicemail messages. 

When I was first contacting her about using her services for residency in Paraguay, she was ultra responsive.  Now that SHE HAS MY MONEY and I have NOTHING, I can't reach her to save my life!!!

She will talk your ear off and share outlandish stories.  Yet, in terms of delivering the result for which she was hired, SHE FAILS MISERABLY!!! 

Is she a crook?  Hard for me to say at this point.  However, I can share MY EXPERIENCE with ALICE NEUFELD which has resulted in zilch.  So, use your best judgment. 

Because my Spanish language skills are severely limited at the moment, getting any info from anyone else when I phone her office has proved fruitless.  I've tried phoning her office at various times of the day and night.

It would appear as though Ms. Neufeld has gone MIA with MY MONEY!!

If anyone has a direct line to Ms. Neufeld and is willing to assist me in getting my cedula/residency card, I would be eternally grateful and will recant this factual rant.

Otherwise, I will say, based on my experience using Alice Neufeld for residency, I would choose someone else!

I will like to comment on Ms Alice Neufeld on basis of my experience. I agree 100% with the comments of "world traveler". I will NOT say, she is a crook. No, not at all. But I would say she is very complacent and lethargic. She will eat your head off with outlandish stories and her achievements in legal field when you are with her in Paraguay. When you go back home, you feel that "wow...what a person..what a lawyer!". But the misery starts after you have left Paraguay. She will NEVER respond to your emails. She has separate cell phone phone for clients and that too she never answers it. her driver will answer it and ask your name..and if she does not feel like speaking to you..He will tell you she has gone to the farms in Chaco and  will be back after several weeks. No, her intention is NOT to run with your money. It is just that she does not seem to take the residency work seriously. She is more interested in selling farmland..and she feels by doing residency work for you, she is making contact with you in form of a potential buyer..

she took almost 1 year to send me my cedula. Yes sir, one year!! Though she managed to get my cedula in 10 months but even after that she was sitting on it for 2 months. I had to send her emails like "Alice...I BEG you..please send me my cedula" like 8-9 times before she finally send it.

So what do you infer?

1. She is NOT a thief
2 She is super lazy, lethargic, complacent
3. she does not think that immigration work does  justice to her talent
4. Once you leave paraguay she becomes unresponsive
5. she seems to have a fair bit of ego as well..you can't afford to rub her on the wrong side or face her wrath
6. she is basically a good person but NOT the correct person for Immigration work

In the case of your birth certificate, yes it has to be legalized by the Paraguayan consulate where the document is issued, in this case France.

You need a VISA since you are US citizen.

The Police report has to belong to the country you were living for the past 5 years, in case it is not your home-country (citizenship country), you need to prove with a residency carnet or similar, please note that this last docuement (carnet) doesnŽt have to be legalized.

Hope that your questions were answered.

Jfinestra wrote:

In the case of your birth certificate, yes it has to be legalized by the Paraguayan consulate where the document is issued, in this case France.

You need a VISA since you are US citizen.

The Police report has to belong to the country you were living for the past 5 years, in case it is not your home-country (citizenship country), you need to prove with a residency carnet or similar, please note that this last docuement (carnet) doesnŽt have to be legalized.

Hope that your questions were answered.

Thanks.

Well, I haven't been living here for the past 5 years. I've just been here on and off so I guess I only need the US criminal record.

What I'd like to do is get my FBI paperwork done now even though I'm outside the US. Is this doable?

Also, I would like to get my Paraguayan visa right now even though I'm outside the US. Is this doable?

As for doing the paperwork in PY, you may have an issue with getting fingerprints done that are acceptable for the FBI.  The FBI web site says that law enformcement organizations and commercial organizations set up for it are acceptable to do the fingerprinting, but of course this refers to US organizations.  Here's a link:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/faqs

You can have the FBI paperwork forwarded to the US consulate in Asuncion.  The consulate is not happy about this (based on our experience), but it is an option that we have used.  Be sure to put a local PY contact phone number on the form you submit with the fingerprints in order that the consulate has a way to contact you when they get the paperwork.  But don't expect them to try very hard or often to do so once they get the paperwork, so be prepared to check in with them regularly.

As for a PY visa, you should be able to get one at any PY embassy/consulate as you'll need one prior to coming into PY.

John Barley. 

1.  A French birth certificate should be legalized at the PY embassy in Paris.

2.  The FBI fingerprint & background check must be done within 6 months of applying for residency.  Wait until you get to PY for this.  You can get a fingerprint card from the US Embassy in Asuncion.  You go to police station or Interpol to get the actual prints done.  (Forget which.)  Although, it is supposed to be done in the country you resided in the past 5 years.

A friend of mine tried to get fingerprinting and a background check done in France.  He went to 3 gendarmairies and they hadn't a clue what he needed, so good luck with that one.

3.  Us Citizens need to write to the PY embassy in the US to get a visa to get into PY.  A multiple entry visa is $100, single entry is $65.  You will need to pay for it with a US money order.  I do not know of any way to buy one online with euros or a credit card, so you'll probably need to find someone in the US to do it for you. 

If you have a French passport, you can maybe get around this.  (I don't know what the entry requirements are for French citizens), but they'll think you're French if you have the passport.

9thWave wrote:

John Barley. 

1.  A French birth certificate should be legalized at the PY embassy in Paris.

2.  The FBI fingerprint & background check must be done within 6 months of applying for residency.  Wait until you get to PY for this.  You can get a fingerprint card from the US Embassy in Asuncion.  You go to police station or Interpol to get the actual prints done.  (Forget which.)  Although, it is supposed to be done in the country you resided in the past 5 years.

A friend of mine tried to get fingerprinting and a background check done in France.  He went to 3 gendarmairies and they hadn't a clue what he needed, so good luck with that one.

3.  Us Citizens need to write to the PY embassy in the US to get a visa to get into PY.  A multiple entry visa is $100, single entry is $65.  You will need to pay for it with a US money order.  I do not know of any way to buy one online with euros or a credit card, so you'll probably need to find someone in the US to do it for you. 

If you have a French passport, you can maybe get around this.  (I don't know what the entry requirements are for French citizens), but they'll think you're French if you have the passport.

Thanks.

Does the FBI record have to be apostilled (certified/notarized?) once you get it or you just submit it to PY as it is?

Does the FBI record have to be made specifically for PY or is it just a generic record?

Do you know how long the FBI records and Visas take to get processed?

Yes, johnbarley, when you receive your fingerprint card /background check from the FBI, you must send it to the PY embassy to be certified.  You must also have it certified again in Paraguay. 

It is a generic record, but remember, it is only valid for 6 months, so it's best to get it last - after obtaining your birth certificate, marriage/divorce records, and university degrees, if applicable.

I don't know exactly how long it takes for the FBI to do their check... I think 2 - 4 weeks return time is normal.

Remember, you only need to obtain a tourist visa to enter PY.  These other docs are only necessary to obtain permanent residency.  If your goal is to get a cedula, you will most certainly need an attorney. 

If your spanish is very good and you are willing to call immigration every week to keep your application at the top of the pile, it is possible to get a cedula by yourself.  Be aware, though, that immigration is notorious for telling you the necessary requirements one day, and changing them the next... so get everything in writing.

I can recommend a good, honest attorney if you need one.  He charges $1500, but you will know exactly what you need and you'll have your carnet (the first step to getting the cedula) within a month or so.

The FBI record is generic, it is simply a national level criminal background check.  You get a memo on FBI letterhead stating that either there is no record, or there is, of you being a bad boy.

They used to take about 45 days to get but I noticed that the web site has this comment under their FAQ's notes regarding expidited services:

....The CJIS Division does not expedite requests; however, an expedited response may be provided by an FBI-approved Channeler...

Hope this helps.

9thWave wrote:

Yes, johnbarley, when you receive your fingerprint card /background check from the FBI, you must send it to the PY embassy to be certified.  You must also have it certified again in Paraguay. 

It is a generic record, but remember, it is only valid for 6 months, so it's best to get it last - after obtaining your birth certificate, marriage/divorce records, and university degrees, if applicable.

I don't know exactly how long it takes for the FBI to do their check... I think 2 - 4 weeks return time is normal.

Remember, you only need to obtain a tourist visa to enter PY.  These other docs are only necessary to obtain permanent residency.  If your goal is to get a cedula, you will most certainly need an attorney. 

If your spanish is very good and you are willing to call immigration every week to keep your application at the top of the pile, it is possible to get a cedula by yourself.  Be aware, though, that immigration is notorious for telling you the necessary requirements one day, and changing them the next... so get everything in writing.

I can recommend a good, honest attorney if you need one.  He charges $1500, but you will know exactly what you need and you'll have your carnet (the first step to getting the cedula) within a month or so.

Thanks. I've heard some horror stories about lawyers. Can you send me a PM from this lawyer?

A lot of things to do it seems.

My goal is to get the cedula and then the passport. I didn't realize there was a university degree requirement.

I thought it was:

Before getting to Paraguay:

Birth certificate legalized at consulate in country of issue and in Paraguay

FBI record legalized at consulate in country of issue and in Paraguay

Visa granted by consulate in country of citizenship.

After getting to Paraguay:

Police letter, interpol, proof of good health, deposit in bank.

University degree isn't a requierment. Only if you have one and you want it regonized here in PY...

...and sadly that "bank account" with the $5000 is again a requierment...

Hi everyone! I am new here, and this is my first post on this forum. This thread has been goldmine of info! I have still have a few questions after reading through all the posts, but first some basic background:

I am currently a US citizen, and am interested in obtaining permanent residency in Paraguay, possibly leading to full citizenship. I have already obtained a certified copy of my long form birth certificate, and an authenticated and signed FBI police record certificate (no arrest record).

Here are my questions:

1) Do these documents (birth certificate, FBI certificate) first need to be sent to the Department of State to be apostilled, or can they be sent directly to the Paraguay consulate as is, for certification?

2) The only Paraguay visa application I can seem to locate, is the one for a non-resident visa. Even on the Paraguay embassy website (http://www.embaparusa.gov.py/index_english.html), the only visa offered is the non-resident visa. Problem is, at the bottom of this application, immediately above the signature line, is the following clause: "Finally, I declare under oath that during my visit, I will not apply for residence, permanent or otherwise, or citizenship in the Republic of Paraguay." Is this the correct application to use?
Note that the requirements listed on the embassy website for this visa do not match the document requirements for residency application, so I am wondering if submitting the non-resident visa application along with the birth certificate and FBI clearance to the embassy will be problematic?

3) Is anyone familiar with the new law that went into effect this month in Paraguay, regarding residence of aliens? I found it on the US embassy's website. Here is the url: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/adana … aw4429.pdf
I am curious whether this would apply to me. Specifically, it mentions a two-year temporary residency permit. Is this something new, or perhaps something that applies to certain individuals only? I was under the impression that a Paraguay residency is for life.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I will try and keep future posts shorter. Any insights on these three areas will be greatly appreciated!

Srqrebel,

Your US documents need to be originals and just send them to the PY consulate in DC or LA for the appropriate certifications.

There is only the one PY visa available, you can pay for a one time entry or multiple entry version.  Pay the little extra for the multiple entry version becuase it allows you as many entries as you need and is good for the life of the passport it's affixed to. 

The note on the visa application regarding "you will not apply for residence" has been noted and commented on a couple of time (maybe not in this thread though).  I know some on this site have used this visa form for their visa's and then applied for residency with no problems, although maybe some of them can comment with an update.

I read the link regarding the new law.  It would seem to be directed at those folks who have overstayed their visa's by giving them an "amnesty" to get back on track and become "legal".  I guess some folks may get a little lazy in keeping up with those visa's and then they obviously can't apply for residency.  Keep in mind the visa is only good for stays of 90 days or less.  You must then exit country and re-enter, with appropriate stamps in your passport, to start that 90 day clock ticking again.  Unless of course you start the process for residency, which makes you legal till the process is completed. 

Not sure about the new law's statement regarding a "two year temp residency card", one of our sites legal types need to explain this one.

Good Luck!

what if there is no paraguayan embassy in our country ( iran ) ?
so how we can legalized/authorized our documents ??

is it possible to do in a third country like Taiwan or brazil ?
or have it legalized in Embassy of other countries in here like brazilian embassy, argentina, or uruguay ?

Thank you majbjb, and everyone who private messaged me in response to my queries in the previous post.

I now have completed the paperwork process and successfully submitted the application for permanent residency. This is what I learned along the way:

The birth/marriage/FBI certificates do not need to be sent to the Department of State to be apostilled. I sent my originals directly to the Paraguay consulate for my region (NY consulate), along with the money order for their fee, and they performed the necessary legalization without a problem.

It turns out the clause in the visa application prohibiting application for residency is ignored as a matter of routine, in fact it is considered a joke by PY residency experts.

I submitted my non-resident visa application to the PY consulate in the same envelope as the birth certificate and FBI letter for legalization, and there was no problem with that at all.

The process of applying for residency once you are in Paraguay is quite complex. Not only are there multiple documents to be obtained, photos to be taken, lab tests to be done - everything requires notarization, including multiple copies to be made and notarized. The whole process was rendered painless and only took about six business days thanks to my attorney, Jerónimo Finestra (jfinestra on the forum) and his assistant, Edwin. They took me everywhere I needed to go, from start to finish, and handled the entire process quite competently. I was made to feel that I was in good hands the whole time, and best of all, the rates were more than reasonable.

A special thank you to muffiemae for recommending Jerónimo here on the forum. It was on that recommendation that I ultimately chose Jerónimo to assist me in my quest for PY residency. After the first rate experience I had with him, I likewise highly recommend Jerónimo Finestra to anyone in search of reasonably priced, competent assistance with PY residency.

srqrebel wrote:

The process of applying for residency once you are in Paraguay is quite complex. Not only are there multiple documents to be obtained, photos to be taken, lab tests to be done - everything requires notarization, including multiple copies to be made and notarized. The whole process was rendered painless and only took about six business days thanks to my attorney, Jerónimo Finestra (jfinestra on the forum) and his assistant, Edwin. They took me everywhere I needed to go, from start to finish, and handled the entire process quite competently. I was made to feel that I was in good hands the whole time, and best of all, the rates were more than reasonable.

A special thank you to muffiemae for recommending Jerónimo here on the forum. It was on that recommendation that I ultimately chose Jerónimo to assist me in my quest for PY residency. After the first rate experience I had with him, I likewise highly recommend Jerónimo Finestra to anyone in search of reasonably priced, competent assistance with PY residency.

How long did the entire process take?

johnbarley wrote:
srqrebel wrote:

It took around eight weeks to get the criminal record certificate from the FBI. After that, it took another week or so to get the legalized documents back from the Paraguay consulate stateside. Once I was in Paraguay, with Jerónimo's assistance it took approx. six business days to complete all of the tests and paperwork and submit the application for residency (Jerónimo tells me it sometimes takes a little longer, depending on the circumstances). I am now waiting for the application to be approved. I am told this approval period takes at least three months.

Hope this helps! :)

srqrebel wrote:
johnbarley wrote:
srqrebel wrote:

It took around eight weeks to get the criminal record certificate from the FBI. After that, it took another week or so to get the legalized documents back from the Paraguay consulate stateside. Once I was in Paraguay, with Jerónimo's assistance it took approx. six business days to complete all of the tests and paperwork and submit the application for residency (Jerónimo tells me it sometimes takes a little longer, depending on the circumstances). I am now waiting for the application to be approved. I am told this approval period takes at least three months.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks. One more question, after you ordered the FBI records, did you have to send them back to the FBI to get them apostilled or did it already come with that?

johnbarley wrote:

Thanks. One more question, after you ordered the FBI records, did you have to send them back to the FBI to get them apostilled or did it already come with that?

The FBI certificate does not come with an apostille. In cases where an apostille is required, the document would have to be sent to the State Department to be apostilled. For Paraguay, no apostille is required (unless that has changed since January).

Paraguay only requires the original documents to be submitted directly to the Paraguay consulate - without apostille - to be legalized by the consulate. Once the consulate has legalized the documents, they are ready to go to Paraguay.

A related issue worth noting: On the FBI website it states, "The CJIS Division will authenticate U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results for international requests by placing the FBI seal and the signature of a division official on the results if requested at the time of submission."

When I submitted my Applicant Information Form to the FBI, I did not specifically request seal and signature authentication, but in the "Reason for Request" space I did indicate that it was for international use. In return, my FBI certificate came with the raised seal and signature. I do not know if it would have contained this had I not mentioned the international nature of the request, and I do not know if the Paraguay consulate would have legalized it without the raised seal and signature. So, to be safe I would recommend requesting authentication.

srqrebel wrote:
johnbarley wrote:

The FBI certificate does not come with an apostille. In cases where an apostille is required, the document would have to be sent to the State Department to be apostilled. For Paraguay, no apostille is required (unless that has changed since January).

Paraguay only requires the original documents to be submitted directly to the Paraguay consulate - without apostille - to be legalized by the consulate. Once the consulate has legalized the documents, they are ready to go to Paraguay.

A related issue worth noting: On the FBI website it states, "The CJIS Division will authenticate U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results for international requests by placing the FBI seal and the signature of a division official on the results if requested at the time of submission."

When I submitted my Applicant Information Form to the FBI, I did not specifically request seal and signature authentication, but in the "Reason for Request" space I did indicate that it was for international use. In return, my FBI certificate came with the raised seal and signature. I do not know if it would have contained this had I not mentioned the international nature of the request, and I do not know if the Paraguay consulate would have legalized it without the raised seal and signature. So, to be safe I would recommend requesting authentication.

Thanks. Perfect explanation.