Freelance Job for Foreign Husband

Hi Everyone,

I'm an Indonesian, married to Malaysian. I plan to do a music job in KL, of course it's freelance kind of job. Do I need to apply a work permit? FYI, I have my spouse visa with me.

Thank you so much for your help, guys. :)

Hello didylist.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Do not hesitate to browse the threads on the Kuala Lumpur forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Nobody has the same experience? Anyone? :(

You can accept work in any legal field as long as you have the Open work endorsement in your Long Term Social Visit Pass.

:up:

Gravitas wrote:

You can accept work in any legal field as long as you have the Open work endorsement in your Long Term Social Visit Pass.

How to get this Open Work endorsement? Cus what I have now is just a normal work permit with my employer mentioned in the permit. anyway, thanks! :D

The LTSVP was recently revised to grant a multiple entry visa for a period of up to 5 years, and allows holders to work in Malaysia without having to convert their visa to a working visa.

If you have a work permit with an assigned employer is the right to work in the LTSVP assigned to that employer - or do you in fact have a work permit? The change in rules above should mean you are able to request an Open work endorsement, to accommodate you music bookings. It is easier to get work if you have an agent.

Making an appointment at the immigration office is the only way to sort it out and asking to be on the same footing as under the revised rules.

Gravitas wrote:

The LTSVP was recently revised to grant a multiple entry visa for a period of up to 5 years, and allows holders to work in Malaysia without having to convert their visa to a working visa.

If you have a work permit with an assigned employer is the right to work in the LTSVP assigned to that employer - or do you in fact have a work permit? The change in rules above should mean you are able to request an Open work endorsement, to accommodate you music bookings. It is easier to get work if you have an agent.

Making an appointment at the immigration office is the only way to sort it out and asking to be on the same footing as under the revised rules.

I see. Currently, I'm staying in Penang, working as an IT Officer. But plan to move to KL to do music next year. And my current work permit will end December this year. 1 more question, what kind of agent do I need? Thanks a lot!

The entertainment industry is a tough place to get work because of the number of performers available.  There are a lot from the Philippines who charge very low rates. Because the audiences are largely Malaysians, except in some of the tourist areas, it can be difficult to find work.  Sometimes it is best to get an agent to find you work, but they will take a commission.  I might add that most performers come from the Asian region so your chances are reduced.  There was a bar looking for talent in Bangsar - its called Across the Road and owned by Christian Wood - facebook.com/#!/acrosstheroadbangsar?fref=ts

Gravitas wrote:

The entertainment industry is a tough place to get work because of the number of performers available.  There are a lot from the Philippines who charge very low rates. Because the audiences are largely Malaysians, except in some of the tourist areas, it can be difficult to find work.  Sometimes it is best to get an agent to find you work, but they will take a commission.  I might add that most performers come from the Asian region so your chances are reduced.  There was a bar looking for talent in Bangsar - its called Across the Road and owned by Christian Wood - facebook.com/#!/acrosstheroadbangsar?fref=ts

Oh, Ok. Got it. Will do your advice and ask around. Thank you! :D

Most people would "die" to have a job in IT - so please dont be too hasty. If you are on Penang Island there are lots of places that have bands and musicians. Reggae Mansion on Chulia has regular auditions - they have all music genre despite their name. I think the Agents supply most of the larger scenes and hotels.