Punta Cana Airport

Hello all!
My husband and I are moving to PC at the end of July. We are leaving most of our stuff in storage in USA and are planning on taking some necessary things (besides clothing) in checked in luggage. We will be bringing our cats with us so each of them will be our carry on bag.
I read on some other forums (not expatblog)  a few  sad stories about things getting stolen from check in luggage at PC airport. Those forum threads are 6+ years old so maybe things aren't like that anymore. 

Did anyone have a bad experience at this airport recently or any other experience to share about it?

Thank you so much!

Things at any airport can always go "missing" gut that is usually the exception and not the norm.  Things that are very important pack in  your carry on.
You should not have any problem at PC. Thefts at the airports here seem much better now than a couple of years ago.
Good luck on the move.

Bob K

Yay! That is great news Bob, thanks!
We are actually bringing our cats in the cabin so no other carry on with us allowed but as you said, those forums I read were very old, the theft issues are not really the norm ;)

Good luck and keep us posted on how things go for you here.

Bob K

Just returned from Punta Cana and several nice shirts were taken from my suitcase. Certain this happened; reported it to US airways. If they can take things out they can put things in. Scary!

oh my alohadc, this is terrible! Were the shirts taken on your way into the country or out of it?

Welcome to the forum! SORRY to hear of your experience.

Out of it.

Were you bags segured with a good lock? Did your bags arrive with your locks intact or were they broken when you arrived at your final destination?  I usually snap a photo of my bags before they put them on the conveyor belt with my locks on, that way I have Proof that there were locks on my bags upon leaving the country.  I know it probably is your word against theirs if they place something in your bag, but it is the only proof you have on your side if the bags arrive without a lock.