We have a dream - can you help

My wife and I are in our fifties, and live in Wales. I deperately need to give up my job due to bullying. The only way I can retire now - i.e. all we can afford - is to buy a really cheap house (about £15,000) in Bulgaria. We then have an income of about £1000 per month to live on. I would then - apart from improving the Bulgarian house - be working full time on my existing websites, which would progressively improve my income.

Several questions really, fundamental is whether high speed broadband is available in the more rural areas, which is the only place we will be able to afford. How is it supplied? What does one need to receive the service.

Next, although I am pretty fit, I did have a stent fitted in my heart a couple of years ago.  How much per month would health insurance be, and indeed would I get it?

My wife is a bit of a worrier, and worries in particular about crime in Bulgaria, can anyone put her mind at rest - or possibly not?

My sister has a place in San Stefano that they use on a holiday basis, and it would be ideal for us to buy relatively close to them, but it would rely on the broadband?

Our interests are really basic, we love just visiting historical or just pretty places, and having a bite to eat in some cafe in a square whilst there.

I'll leave it there for now, but I am sure we will have lots of further questions, and we do appreciate your taking the time to give us some information.

Hi ;)

ihaveadream wrote:

Several questions really, fundamental is whether high speed broadband is available in the more rural areas, which is the only place we will be able to afford. How is it supplied? What does one need to receive the service.

Well it depends on how you understand high speed broadband. Normally the internet in rural areas is very bad if you depend on Lan or DSL providers. Mtel offers a homebox witch uses the 3G network for internet in those areas. The connection is somewhat around 300kb/sec downlink and 50kb/sec uplink. But even small towns in Bulgaria are getting better internet right now so that would not be a problem. You have to pay about 20 EURO for a good internet connection.

ihaveadream wrote:

Next, although I am pretty fit, I did have a stent fitted in my heart a couple of years ago.  How much per month would health insurance be, and indeed would I get it?

Forget health insurance in Bulgaria. If you have a problem, you have to pay cash to get any "attention". Also please keep in mind that health care in small cities or rural areas is very very bad especially if there is an emergency.

Just a small example: My father lives 30km outside of Sofia in a place called Bezden. His neighbor had a heart attack at 9:30 AM, so my father called twice 112 (emergency number) - they didn't pick up. So he got in his car and drove 20km to the nearest bigger town (Kostinbrod), rushed into the hospital and came back (with an ambulance) at around 10:05AM. Of course, it was already too late. So this happens 2010 only 30km outside of Sofia.

Speaking of health there are many many things you have to understand and accept before moving into Bulgaria.

ihaveadream wrote:

My wife is a bit of a worrier, and worries in particular about crime in Bulgaria, can anyone put her mind at rest - or possibly not?

It depends where you are. The usual "small crime" is work of gypsies, so if you are in areas where they're not you wont have a problem. Bulgaria is generally a very safe place for foreigners in your age. Since you are (hopefully) not a drug dealer you don't have to be afraid go get killed while drinking your coffee ;)

ihaveadream wrote:

My sister has a place in San Stefano that they use on a holiday basis, and it would be ideal for us to buy relatively close to them, but it would rely on the broadband?

Our interests are really basic, we love just visiting historical or just pretty places, and having a bite to eat in some cafe in a square whilst there.

I'll leave it there for now, but I am sure we will have lots of further questions, and we do appreciate your taking the time to give us some information.

San Stefano is a nice place - don't make the internet connection a big priority, if you want I could do a little bit research on San Stefano, but they have to have some local internet providers.

Greetings

George

San Stefano is a nice place - don't make the internet connection a big priority, if you want I could do a little bit research on San Stefano, but they have to have some local internet providers.

George, thanks for taking the time.

The broadband connection is extremely important to allow me to build up my main website oldukphotos.com as it would be my main source of income, and thus the way that we can build and improve towards our future.

We had heard about the gypsies, but certainly in San Stefano the ordinary folk look after my sister and her husband very, very well, and take great care of their house whilst they are in the U.K..

If you can find anything about any ISP's in the area of San Stefano that would be very helpful.
Many Thanks,
Phil

Hello.

If you wish, you can contact me at: [email protected] - I have some really nice cheap houses in Karnobat area for you.

All the best!
Sheenbg

Hi Phil, Bulsatcom and Mtel are offering internet in San Stefano. I am sure that there are local internet providers too.

PS: Before buying "cheap houses" be sure that it's not a scam - most foreigners pay twice the price for a house because they are lied to.

If you need any assistance you can contact me at g.grancharov [at] gmail.com

Hi!

I would be more than happy to help you with your dream. I have been helping British relocate to  Bulgaria for 4 or 5 years now. I moved to near Stara Zagora and Kazanlak permanently in 2006. High speed broadband internet is not a problem in this area and I have many friends who work from home via the internet. I would maybe suggest renting first. I have a very good option for you and will email you details.

£15,000 should get you a decent house, not a complete wreck and your monthly income is more than enough to live well in Bulgaria.

Crime in the villagers is more or less non-existant and while most Bulgarians and many British will tell you to avoid areas where there are gypsies, this is really not something to worry about. They are usually friendly people and no problem.

Rachel

I have a house in a village called djinot,we have internet and we have a very fine town/city fairly close by Yambol,i work from home and 1000 per month you could live lie a king in bugaria,we grow a few things have chickens,a goat,a few cats that arrived shortly after us who work hard keeping the mice in our barn down,and live very well on about 80levs per week that includes eating out 2/3 times a week,we have 0 crime and we always arrive home with fresh food on our doorstep i have a very dear friend nadalia about 80yrs old who is almost like my mum and has taught me how to cook bulgaria food and it costs pennies.Djinot is the perfect place to live in bulgaria.

thank you all so much for taking the time to send in your responses. they have certainly helped put my mind at ease. it is a big thing to leave your own country, particularly when you love it so much. we have decided - when we sell our house - to visit Bulgaria for maybe 4 weeks to take our time to get to know this beautiful country, which is similar in many ways to our Wales.
The image below is of Snowdonia Mountains, and is near to where we live now.
thanks again everyone.

http://www.anglesey.info/images/Snowdonia/Llyn%20Ogwen%20Lake%20and%20the%20part%20of%20the%20Snowdonia%20Mountain%20Range.jpg

Hi. I would like to comment on some of the things posted above. We bought our house near Veliko Tarnovo4 years ago, and it is a "work in progress" ready for our eventual move out in 3 years, when I retire.  I am pleased that someone has said that not all Bulgarian gypsies are thieves, as we have some good friends in our village who help us whenever we are over there, and are only too willing to help with the heavy work, sorting the land out, etc., and are a great source of information and ideas.  I also agree that it is a good idea to travel around the country a little first, maybe staying a week or so in one region, before moving on to the next, as each area has something different to offer, depending on your needs, as the country on a whole is beautiful, but varied.  Regarding the internet, most villages now have internet of some sort, and we were quite surprised to find that our little village is on high speed broadband, but  you can also get this through some of the larger satellite companies - worth checking out locally when you speak to people.  The only word of warning I would have is to be very careful of people saying they have "the perfect house" for you - there are a lot of "estate agents" in Bulgaria, but the best way around this, as suggested above, is to stay in the area, speak to ex-pats, and go by word of mouth, looking at properties they have bought and see what they paid.  It is a buyers market over in Bulgaria at the moment due to the recession.  What I can tell you is that it is a country where the Bulgarian welcome you, thelifestyle is amazing, your pension is more than enough to live on, and we wish you all the best for the future - which will be a good one if you do decide to move to BG!  Keep in touch - any advice - just ask on here - Good Luck Deex

Hello mate, not sure what you are thinking of doing, but then im not sure what im thinking of telling you either....
But if you want to contact me we could at least have a chat about our [email protected] ...Neil