What kind of lifestyle will $5000.USD/mo. afford in the Philippines?

Navajo52 wrote:
flipicaneze wrote:

I moved from Chicago 6 months ago. Although I have 20 in-stamps on my passport since 2004, I'm still adjusting. You can easily blow $5k on stupid crap in one month.

The real secret to living well as an expat is to think like a Filipino and stop thinking "Well in the United States this costs this much and it's much less here when I convert PHP to USD." That opens you up to being ripped off, even if it does costs far less in your country of origin.

Learn to spend like a local and negotiate like a local, you can live on much less and even more comfortably. Know what things actually cost here and not worry what it cost everywhere else in comparison.

There is a way to transfer money that is faster than electronic banking---it's called Marriage!

While funny, it has worked to my/our advantage. My wife and I have been married for over 14 years and have lived here in the Philippines the entire time. Also, for almost that entire time all our finances (what she earns at her full time job as well as my pensions from the US) are in her care completely.

I have found that with her taking care of the bills, kids, and school needs, and all other expenses we do much better than if I were to do these things. These people know how to get the most bang for the buck and can out-do us without a doubt.
Important though is to marry the "right one" or that advise will quickly work in reverse..

But if you're like me who is out on his own while she is at work, or worse yet she'll become an OFW and leave me here with my child, I have to know how to do things on my own here.

I have learned to get the most bang for my buck out here in the time I've been here.

Wayne 07 wrote:

This helps me. Mind you I am from USA. I look at P1000 as $100.00, P500 as $50.00, P200 as $25.00. P100 as &10.00.

Thinking of pesos like that keeps me on track

At this time, on average with the exchange rate P1,000 = about $20usd. P500 = aprox $10usd etc.
With the exchange rate at just about P50 to the dollar, just take your dollar amount and times it by 50 to get an aprox peso value.
In many areas it is quite possible with a family to live comfortably on under $1,000usd per month. In our area for example the cost of living is very low. My wife is extremely good keeping to a budget and our total monthly expenses are always under $800.00usd per month.

Navajo52

HA! $5k per month? In Philippines?
Welcome to social, emotional, spiritual, physical and moral suicide.

Hello All . I Bought a lot and a 2 Bedroom house and Lot  , (3800) squ Metres  , in 2009 in Northern Samar . Close to markets and beaches . Lots of fruit and coconut trees and garden areas with herbs . I bought for 1,500,000 p and since have spent another 5,000,000 p . And built  up and have 2 more bedrooms and Billiard area and Ofcoarse Kareoke  area  . I only ride my  Motorbikes around its easy and not like the cities . It's 1 hour Ride either direction to cities with reasonably good Shopping . Food is cheaper . But downside is no Movies Golf or gyms . But I can go anytime to another area and have a break for a couple of weeks and enjoy those changes . I have a husband and wife as my Live in Maid and Caretakers with their 2 little girls they enjoy it here too , it's a Cooler Climate Year round here than most other areas , where you must have aircon and too hot to do daytime chores . Life's Good . Also I live on the normal Australian Pension  here with my Girl friend  . Life's Good .... Hope this gives some of You an idea of Province Life in the Philippines .

You can live in the real World on $5,000 per month.....so why would you want to move to the Philippines????

JHS2
My family and I currently live in Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro. The cost of living here is rather high, and we have been looking at homes for rent in Bohol. Can you give us any advice about living there.
Thanks
David

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please recommend in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello, I'm under the impression that you're someone who is knowledgable about the Philippines market and culture. I am finishing my undergraduate in May and moving to the Philippines to be with my fiance and start a business by the end of the year. My question is about investing in Laguna community.  For companies that require brick and mortar set up for example, retirement home, grocery store, and restaurant, what kind of fees should I expect and what are the logistics of operating a business in the Philippines?

Best Regards,
Mikail Ali

I believe I started this topic a long time back before I came to Philippines. I have been here this time for 4 years.

I read one tread that said she must think and shop like local in regards to money. And I have found that to be sound advice.

So I spend frugal. If you live on less you can save more. I don't want to live like local nor do I want to overextend myself.

If I had to live like some local (No AC, making 400 pesos a day, Nips hut) I would go back to my home country. I didn't retire to live that way. Nor did I retire to live in big city like Makati (expense).

I love affordability of province

Have you been to the Philippines?  If you have spent any time at all here, then you will know that 5000us is more than enough to live like a king basically anywhere you want.  Even Manila/Makati area you could rent a really really nice" european style 3 bed condo for about 600 - 700 per month, power even if you left the air con on 24 hours a day would be about 150u.s., all other basic expenses less than 150us... so you will have basically 4000us. For your travel, and food expense.  For one person a month eating out daily 2 meals at medium price places your looking at about 300 - 400u.s...

I have a nice newer 2 bed apartment in Dasmariñas that is 150u.s. per month, my power is about 70 per month with 1 air con window unit running about 15 hours a day which is only becasue of me.  My fiancee(all 95 pounds of her) bless her soul runs around with a sweater on complaining how cold it is... (and I keep the thermostat at 26 Celsius/ 79(f)).  We eat in the apartment most days, and eat out, or I buy takeout 1 meal maybe 5 days a week. We do what we want as far as travel.  I did purchase a car (2010 - Toyota Vios). So gas per month is about 60u.s per month.  Anyways... what I am saying is we do what we want to do... travel to different islands, eat, movies, take family out sometimes, etc. Etc., and I still spend on average between 1000 - 1500 per month, depending on how much we travel to other islands to explore.  So.... 5000u.s per month.  I think it would be almost hard to spend that.  You will live a very luxurious life here for that.  You could have a live in maid to cook/clean/shop...(only about 4000 - 5000p per month in Manila(about 80 - 100 bucks)... idono...really depends on your lifestyle also... I rarely drink, or "party".  So I suppose if your into the bar scene, or want to "pay to play" alot... then maybe 5000 would be easy to spend.  I suggest coming, and living for a couple months...then you will know.  5000u.s. is alot...  I still make more than that myself being partially retired, but I spend SOOO much less.  I save alot... hahaa... Cheers!  Sorry to ramble!!  Come on over!  5k is more than a Doctor makes here!!!

dirk c wrote:
prince_denison wrote:
sirrobcentral wrote:

You are a MILLIONAIRE....WELCOME :o)

I was living on $4300 in the US and believe me I thought I had it good until I came here....I"M RICH....hehehe

You can afford anything you want. Just don't ever share with your Philippine friends your salary. They get one fiftieth of what you get. most live on 10,000 peso a month and your getting 200,000 +    so be careful who knows your worth .

Filipinos knew your earnings as expats.... and expect how they love and respect you as it is a norm who ever is inclined in the society would expect and deserve higher respect.

Did you noticed that there are around 15 Million Filipinos working abroad.. 15 Million population it represents a country. Millions of them are in the United Stated earning as much as  other Americans... Most of them are medical practitioners (Doctors, Nurses and other Professionals) Earning $5000 USD -up a month but there are also several domestic helpers in Singapore and Saudi Arabia earning at least $450 USD a month..

All of Filipinos working in the other country, they are Millionaires back in the Philippines.. and its no longer a secret but considering the cost of living in the Philippines is very low then expect also a very low salary... Everybody must be familiar how economy works and what is the formula in it.. [The higher the cost of living, the higher the salary required]

When I was in Paris France,  3 slices of bread plus vege salad would cost $80 US dollars or around ₱3,600.00 Philippine Peso...  well that's France... The Standard, the cost of living in France is high...  if you will buy 3 slices of bread plus vege salad in the Philippines the price would be only a maximum of $3 Dollars or around ₱140.00 Pesos. so see the difference...

3 slices of bread plus vege salad 80$????? man were did you buy that at that price ?was the bread covered with caviar ????? i have been many many times in Paris ,lived 2 hr drive from it and never payed those prices ,not even in le moulin rouge,and that's an expensive place hahahahahahahahahaha

Been in Paris many times. I lived in Europe for 6 years, From Spain to Northern Europe including UK
and Scandinavia... No such very high price!

robal wrote:
dirk c wrote:
prince_denison wrote:

Filipinos knew your earnings as expats.... and expect how they love and respect you as it is a norm who ever is inclined in the society would expect and deserve higher respect.

Did you noticed that there are around 15 Million Filipinos working abroad.. 15 Million population it represents a country. Millions of them are in the United Stated earning as much as  other Americans... Most of them are medical practitioners (Doctors, Nurses and other Professionals) Earning $5000 USD -up a month but there are also several domestic helpers in Singapore and Saudi Arabia earning at least $450 USD a month..

All of Filipinos working in the other country, they are Millionaires back in the Philippines.. and its no longer a secret but considering the cost of living in the Philippines is very low then expect also a very low salary... Everybody must be familiar how economy works and what is the formula in it.. [The higher the cost of living, the higher the salary required]

When I was in Paris France,  3 slices of bread plus vege salad would cost $80 US dollars or around ₱3,600.00 Philippine Peso...  well that's France... The Standard, the cost of living in France is high...  if you will buy 3 slices of bread plus vege salad in the Philippines the price would be only a maximum of $3 Dollars or around ₱140.00 Pesos. so see the difference...

3 slices of bread plus vege salad 80$????? man were did you buy that at that price ?was the bread covered with caviar ????? i have been many many times in Paris ,lived 2 hr drive from it and never payed those prices ,not even in le moulin rouge,and that's an expensive place hahahahahahahahahaha

Been in Paris many times. I lived in Europe for 6 years, From Spain to Northern Europe including UK
and Scandinavia... No such very high price!

Perhaps this was in the Jules Verne on the Eiffel Tower?
I too have spent plenty of time in Europe and found the average prices similar to Australia and at times cheaper. OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

There has been a lot response to this post. I believe I originate this in the beginning about 4-5 years. I have since moved here.

Build our home and bought suv. I live by a budget which I think is smart. I live a modest life style. I love the cost living here. It has taken me 4 yers to adjust to living here. I don't care much for big city. Love the province.

One thing I have discovered and that is that you don't want to live in philippines as foreigner broke😜. Personally I like live comfortable. Not necessarily like local people in province. But not in a mansion either. These are two extremes. Stay in middle of road.

I believe it would be about the same as retiring in the U.S. with approximately $20,000 per Month income.  I have a new and modern 2 bedroom  apartment with my fiancee that I got in the city(near her cousins home) for a steal (p5k per month)and also a mountain getaway house above ipil on her father's land that we totally gutted and remodeled)... and my monthly expense is about p8k total including electric, water, mountain house electric and water, and  rent payment for apartment.  That's only about 160 bucks... So ya... 5000 U.S. per month... Lol... all depends on how you spend your money... Trust me... Filipinos will help you... You will be very popular with many many "friends"... I would NOT flaunt it... instead... be humble... dress humble... and never show your cards or your bank account to ANYONE.  Works well for me... I have a similar retirement income... but nobody knows it.  We are already looked at as walking 🏧 AS IS...  Have fun...

I now know what type lifestyle that amount buys you here. Been here 6 years. Paid all my bills off. Save over half my income and live on about $3K a month. Live a low key lifestyle.

Nice... I hope to be back soon!!  👊🏻

Yup I always remind myself :

"You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run"
Kenny Rogers

:D

Depends where you live and how much you spend. If you want to live in BGC or Makati you will probably spend around 1500 dollars or more per month for rent. If you live in Bulacan you will pay about 200 dollars a month for rent.

Part solution is how much you make but other half is how much you can save.you must be wise in managing your money. Lots millionaires go broke!

I've lived here for over year's and I spend well over that. And it's very easy to do. After living all over the Philippines I've settled for now in Dumaguete the last 8 year's . Not the best, by far unless you're old and favorite past time is too hang out with other old guy's and drink your final days out in a drunken stupor. Too many expats here because it's the only place they can afford. Although it's higher than average to live here (The Expat factor) as the local Real Estate agent's call it. Sure you can always find a dump the minimum for not a dump $420 or 20,000 pesos per month. Electricity is unreliable and about twice the cost than the most of the west. You can hear BS from expats all kind of numbers. But I didn't retire to live on a minimal budget. We have car's, motorcycles and eat what we want and go where we want (for the most part, due to restrictions for now). And it comes down to how you live. Take this for example I rented a 3 bedroom house once and it took more money in electricity to cool the whole thing than the rent was in Mindanao. It's all how you want to live which is common sense. The problem is common sense isn't that common when it comes to to expats and living expenses.

I agree with Fortune. Philippines.in my opinion, is for Expats who are on a budget and can't afford to live in the USA  or other expensive countries or Expats with 2-3 pensions who want to broadcast their money. There are some nice places in other parts of the world to live. South America or even a few select places in Mexico. A few countries in Europe might be ok. The cost of living all depends on your lifestyle. Live comfortably in the Philippines on 500 USD a month(I do) unless you are a lavish person like many Expats that live in the Philippines. There are also many countries that don't like American ex-pats so wherever you live do your research 1st online to see if it's a welcoming country. When I was in Melbourne Australia and Paris France I was surprised to see the unwelcoming attitude of many of the locals. Melbourne was better than France but a bit offish. Paris the worst-Got pickpocketed trying to help a guy out who looked like he needed a decent meal. He just grabbed the money in my wallet and took off. The police did nothing. Never take out your wallet in public in Paris or any country. Always be careful. I learned the hard way. Rome Italy is also another country for pickpockets.  Stay safe. Trust no one. Never travel alone. Take care all!

Hello

angeliajolie564 wrote:

Hello

Your from India looking for information about North Korea according to your bio.

OP - March 2010 04:03:12

anyone that announce and ask if they can retired at said locale for 5K USD / month is either...

Not in the right mind.

or

"fishing".

or just bored and felt like trolling.

I wonder how many PM's he got from promising perspectives from Nigeria or fem fatale introducing themselves  :heart:  I'll bite.  :happy:

Nice Topic, it's a great gamble to spend such monies in a place where you can easily spend in a months time,,, if you are doing it to spend on your fiancé and her family,,, $5,000 US is easily spent,,, I had spent an easy $7,000 on a credit card and another $3,500 in cash when I first came. To meet my wife to be,,, then After returning to marry her, we both spent an easy $13,000 for her families needs and preparation for our wedding,,, which was about $8,000,,, but I decided to see how much $300 would pull us through by curiosity,,, just for our needs,,, it lasted 2 weeks in budgeting $300,,, food for her family, transportation, and a utility bill, so $5,000 on a months time varies on what you spend it in,,, just be wise in getting the things you need to live on,,, spending is for a couple that dont have children,,, I don't know it's your life,,, take good care,,,,

Well... to start Frank.. with that amount of money per month that he says he has.. he can start by giving me.. ohh sayyyy about $2g's.. I think that would buy a pretty nice scooter.. ya think? .. nothing like over-budgeting.  To be honest..if I had that much to spend a month not sure if it would be here in the Phils.

$$ you have are more than adequate.  All joking aside lloydamos81 it is nice to have that but not sure if you need that kind of money per month in the PI.  It is definitely for the ones on fixed incomes, SS, half-ass pensions from a company that you worked your ass off for years for them- and they give you a mere pittance at the end. IMO

Amen to that brother!

Enzyte Bob wrote:
angeliajolie564 wrote:

Hello

Your from India looking for information about North Korea according to your bio.

Looks legit to me  :D

expat1 wrote:

What kind of lifestyle will $5000.USD/mo. afford in the Philippines?

A wasteing lifestyle   :)

For $5,000 a month, why waste your time, what's left of it, in the Philippines.

Go where the people, climate, food, language, healthcare and the stability of the country has hundreds of years of stability.

STAY WHERE YOU ARE.

tpiro wrote:

It is definitely for the ones on fixed incomes, SS, half-ass pensions from a company that you worked your ass off for years for them- and they give you a mere pittance at the end. IMO

That sounds about right.

Enzyte Bob wrote:

For $5,000 a month, why waste your time, what's left of it, in the Philippines.

Go where the people, climate, food, language, healthcare and the stability of the country has hundreds of years of stability.

STAY WHERE YOU ARE.

That was a press release from the Philippine Tourist Authority. It's more fun in the Philippines. :top:

Enzyte Bob wrote:

Are there any such?    :)

anyone looking for a cheaper rent in manila? Try Cainta,Rizal. contact me if ur looking for a place to rent $200 per month on a 1 bedroom unit in a village with 24/7 security and has a jogging park and amenities. food and bills a little cheaper as it is not a city but just right next to Pasig City and near Ortigas Center.

anyone looking for a rental place in Bonifacio Global City? 1 BR newly turnover just $650 per month fully furnished few steps from the Grand Hyatt hotel. its a secured place and best place to live in the philippines. msg me if ur looking for one

I'm late to the party here but it seems obvious to me he meant $500 a month not $5000.

Possibly but not necessarily. $5k a month is $60k per annum which is not much above the average take home salary Stateside.
That said an unearned income of that amount (assuming the guy is not working in the Philippines) is on the high side

@pinaymentor

I saw your question and thought i would offer some answers as well. my wife (a Filipina) and our two children we have plan to move to the philippines. she is original from Balingasag in Mindanao mid 30's, I sm almost ready to retire.  Kids are 8 and 5 years old.  I am considering Dumagueti due to all of the Close knit expat population. not for social purposes so much but I plan to cater to them and am an expert chef in authentic mexican cuisine . the schools seem better then most and hospitals are good from what i was able to find. we are hoping to find an affordable  beach house or maybe just the land and build a house. Ate you at all familiar with the area? maybe you know of an area similar?