What do you miss?

As an expat living outside of the US for an extended period of time, what things/ products do you miss the most that aren't available or are hard to get in your host country?

Normally for me here in Cali it's not that things are hard to get or aren't available its that they are imported and sold here for extremely inflated prices.

Hi Chris. I have been to many places in the world.I have been to Europe,Middle East,Asia,Africa,Caribbean, North,Central and South America etc... I really love Northeast Brazil.I haven't been to Columbia in several years.I liked it and it had beautiful women but was at the time real dangerous for Gringos .I heard it's much better.Where ever you go.You need use common sense though! lol I was wondering if you have been to Brazil or other places in Central/South America? How do they compare? Which is your favorite city/country? I am single and will renting a year.If I like the place.I may buy a house in the near future by the beach somewhere in South America.I am just trying to get an idea of best place for the cost,has pretty women,good food,internet,bank,hospital nearby and is safe.Ecuador is cheap but government and the women thing isn't the best.Southern Brazil is great but expensive .Costa Rica has hurricanes,expensive and the women thing again.Venezuala the government.Chile cost ,women and earth quakes.Anyone else that has info too! I hope I don't offend anyone by my comments.These are just my opinions from my travels over the years.I will be traveling some more in the next year but I am trying to narrow it to just a few places to look at.Thanks

Have you considered looking at Brazil through the eyes of a local? Yes, it is tropical but have you ever seen the bureaucracy? If you do not have a CPF # then you have no idea. Tourists are conveniently shielded from it to protect tourism. I can think of a con for each country in the world - some more than others. However Brazil has its own unique issues and I would rather suffer the consequences of a natural disaster than the degree of bureaucracy that is present where I live, in Brazil.

Yes, I have seen this with many if my friends and a few clients. This is the price that you pay living abroad. This is why I will rent before I buy and keep my house in Texas. As my back up plan. It is one thing to go on vacation to a country and it's another thing to live there! I love my city and my state so it's not like I have to move I just like some of the things that Brazil has to offer! And there I can afford a Beachhouse which I couldn't afford here in America! But in Brazil you have to be very patient as things take much more time than they do in Texas and other parts of America. There are the pros and cons and you just have to weigh them out and see what you want! No places are perfect . All places have good and bad and ugly

You really should stop by in the Brazil forum. It is very active.

We talk about real-estate issues, marriage issues, visa issues, etc.

Matt-