Cost of living

Hi everyone,

I am looking forward to moving from India to KL, Malaysia. I am married and have a son in first standard. I am looking forward for the information about how much salary would be sufficient for me to live comfortably, along with my family. I would look for the following things:
1. Descent 3 bedroom accommodation.
2. A descent Honda or Toyota sedan, along with insurance cost.
3. School expense(per annum) for my kid.
4. cost of food (assuming we do cook at home, but on weekend we are wanting to dine outside)
5. Tax % for a family person with kid.
6. any other miscellaneous expense for a family person.

Please help me reach a number that i must expect as salary.

20k per month

Hi Everyone,

I am from Belgaum, India, soon planning to shift to sungai petani, kedah with my hubby and 2 years kid. proposed salary is 5000 RM with semi furnished apartment.
Let me know living cost and facilities available in that area

Thank you

First you need to deduct income tax. It is 26% if you work less than 182 days in Malaysia in any calendar year.  If you work more than 182 days the rate is about 20%.

Is the employer offering health care?  That is an important aspect especially when you have a children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sungai_Petani

This is an approximation of costs - based on Alor Setar which is also in Kedah. You can change the town/city to get more prices (KL has the largest range)

numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Malaysia&city=Alor+Setar

Kedah is a very conservative state and about 97% are Muslims.

Thanks Gravitas
I checked provided link.
We will be staying for 2 years, so more than 182 days, now please let me know exact tax deduction, i heard from somewhere that 26% deduction will be for first 6 months and that we may file for return also, please confirm
Yah Health insurance for family is included in contract.
Please also let me know the need of vehicle in that area, if required, possibilities to buy. We may prefer second hand four wheeler

I'm answering you on the new thread created:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 71#1482600