Find accommodation in Brussels

Dear members,
I am in an unpleasant situation.My daughter is coming to Brussels
for  six months due to Erasmus studies and we are both trying to
find a proper accommodation a room or a flat to share but it seems
so difficult to trust people advertising their properties.So what do you suggest to do, what are the things we should always have in mind when we sign a contract what about deposits? How can we assure
that the money we sent are going to a reliable person? Can you help
please? We would appreciate your help.
Thanks once again
Anastasia

Hi Anastasia,

Welcome on board and thank you for posting your message here :)

I suggest you post an advert in the Shared accommodation in Brussels for a better response and feel free to browse through and even to compare the prices and else :)

Best of luck with house hunting ;)

I'm sure you will soon get more informations from the other members of Expat-Blog :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-Blog Team.

You don't have to hand over a cash deposit and NEVER do it before signing a contract. You can instead opt for a service from a bank where for a fee the bank guarantees the equivalent of a cash deposit. It's a maximum of 2 months rent which can requested as a deposit. If you go for cash deposit, you actually never hand over the money, you open a bank account in your name, with the details of landlord attached who must give their signature for withdrawal at the end of a contract.

A short term rent will have to be a fixed contract, so when you sign for 6 months for example, that's what you must pay, even if you then decide you wish to move out earlier.

Most universities/colleges have housing offices, where they'll have a list of accommodation specifically for students. Most students will have "kots", ie will have a room in a family house, will share a house full of students, the "kot" is simply a student room. Prices are often inclusive of bills and start at €300 a month and expect shared toilet/bathroom at that price.