Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

My advice to you is for you and she to go to PF and find out from them what is required.  We can only make suggestions here. What they require may be something different.

Jim

I think you have to wait til the baby is born to make it official...

Hi I'm in here legally i have valid visa problem is to marry i gave my documents to embassy to certify almost one month they are not certifying my documents i feel they do purposely until my visa run out.

so if i get  my original documents birth certificate and   unmarried certificate certified from my country foreign ministry  consular section and get here by post. then can i translate to Portuguese by sworn translator and give carterio will they accept without brazilian embassy seal ?
or can i go to PF and explain my situation as they are not certifying my documents and showing original documents can they give any permission or certify the documents from  brazil foreign ministry and give it to carterio ?

any suggestion please

You can get your documents from your home country and get an apostille for them from the same issuing authority or the foreign ministry-not sure in your country. I had to get mine from the county I grew up in and then have the state of California's Secretary of State affix the apostille. Get them translated and registered then go to the cartorio and get your marriage appointment. With that you can go to the PF and get your CIE and RNE.

Unfortunately yes foreign ministry equal to that unfortunately my documents not valid without brazil embassy in my country seal in documents but embassy by purposely not certifying my documents and dragging the time so do you thing will carterio except without aposite seal as my country not
Memeber of aposite . If I explain carterio as embassy not Certifying so is possible get translated my original documents from translation will be acceptable? Or if I go to PF and say they are not certifying my documents so I have original so if translate the original will they accept.? WhAt is your suggestion?

Since there is no apostille in your country then you will have to have them by the Consolute General Do Brasil. You may need to ask to deal with someone else if the person you are dealing with is non cooperative.

Jim

Just took my divorce decree and birth certificate in to the cartorio here for the sworn translation. R$480 for 3 pages that probably total 500 words between them. Just one of many ways Brazil rips people off, foreigners or natives.

HI
You have mentioned your visa expired and you got married is it possible to marry in Brazil after visa expired ?

My documents been almost one month to certify from Brazilian embassy in my country as my country is not part of Hague Apostille Member Countries list so all my document must legalize Brazil embassy in my country but seems like Brazil embassy in my country by purposely dragging my documents  to certify and they want my visa to expire so then they can reject my documents to certify. Is there any way that i can talk federal police and marry with my original documents without Brazilian embassy seal ? if i explain the situation federal police will they help me sort out this?

Your documents will have to be authenticated they will not make exceptions After this is done You have to go to the Cartorio and satisfy their requirements for marriage. I have heard that they will not marry you if you overstayed your visa. You should go there with someone fluent in Portuguese and find out what they require.  Explain to them what happened. Also, I would advise not to make accusations that the process has been stalled purposely. It will not help.

Jim

ok cool thank you so better i talk carterio and ask if i translate my original documents  in Portuguese without embassy seal will they accept or not am i right?

They will not accept documents that have not been authenticated. If they are not authenticated then as far as the cartorio is concerned they do not exist.

Jim

I talked carterio and my country embassy in brazIlia they told me I can get certify my documents from my country embassy in brazil it is valid in brazil to use no problem it is valid in brazil to use for anything and carterio did not mentioned my brith certificate and unmarried certificate to be certified from brazil embassy in my country they need original only they said translation in Portuguese  finally relief

Good News

Jim

If you will be seeking permanent residence in Brazil you will need additional documents. Best to ask the PF and start preparing for that also. Its all a headache but worth it in the end.

Sure I will once all done if goes all well I will update until it happens can't say anything in brazil

What other documents? My fiancee says all she can find listed are birth certificate, passport, and the certificate saying the wedding has been scheduled.

This is a broad spectrum and depends what cartorio and PF you talk to. There is no set standards. For my marriage i had to get in addition to yours is a single status affidavit, proof of residence in the US and my mom and dads information. All apostilled and translated. I was married before and they made me get homologacao in the tribunal here. So my divorce would be accepted here. Like I said it all differs of who you talk to. Best of luck. If you need the single status affidavit i can send you a template to use.

Cejames seems right brazil don't have set rules each carterio pf very different so yo have to ask

So true rasvi. Most of it is because they are after the gringos dollar. Do as they ask and all will be fine.

We weren't told anything about any of that. Just get my divorce decree and birth certificate "officially" translated and "registro do cartorio" in Santos.

Best of luck to you. I pray all things go well Mike

Thank you. I've got 10 days until this set of documents I got from the States "expires" so I hope the translation finishes quickly.

I believe I would view it the same way a court would view it. A marriage is a legal binding document between 2 people. Without a legal divorce I would consider it bigamy. Take the extra step and do whats right. Then you will not have to keep looking over your shoulder. No matter where you marry you are married until the court says otherwise

You will need to get divorced.

Jim

What does proxy marriage mean?

A Proxy marriage is when someone else stands in for the Bride , Groom or both because they cannot be present.

Jim

It means you get someone to represent you on the wedding day because you will not be in attendance. Power of attorney is used or similar

Ahhh. Gotcha. Thanks.

some updates about old post our former member has mentioned
Please see the link and scroll the page u can see James has mentioned this
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=150290

"No, you still misunderstood. A birth certificate DOES NOT need to be 'legalized' by the Brazilian Consulate, only authenticated by the consulate of the country of issue. The birth certificate if used in Brazil (submitted to a Cartório) may not have been issued more than 6 months prior to use. This is often based on the authentication date from the consulate and also depends on the cartórios here, it seems many of them make up their own rules since there is no uniformity whatsoever.

A birth certificate is NOT necessary for visa applications and even if you do submit one it does not need to be 'legalized' by the Brazilian Consulate.

The document that DOES need to be 'legalized' is the Criminal Record Check. Usually the document itself states a period of validity and must be submitted very quickly to the Brazilian Consulate in the issue country for legalization. This document once 'legalized' remains valid indefinitely, provided that you have been out of the country of issue at the time it was issued, or left during the validity period. If you remained in the country following that, you could be required to provide another updated document. "

I am sorry Rasvi but I do not want to be negative. I had to have my birth ceritificate authenticated at the consulate for my permanent visa along with my single status affidavit, criminal record check and proof of residence. It varies from each PF you visit and whatever state or city your in. I just went through the process this year and it was horrible for me. Also as of August 2016, Brazil joined the Hague Convention which abolishes the need to go to the conulate for authentication. Now if your country is part of the Hague Convention you get your documents apostilled at the State Dept where you resided before coming to Brazil. Sorry if i stepped on someones toes but all info needs to be correct for a new expat deciding to come to Brazil. If I am wrong please correct me.

yeah i agree on u,but let me tell you  pf to pf very different .
because i went to extend my visa did not asked me any documents even entry exit card they just extended my visa so everything is different  PF to PF

We live near Aracaju and went to the cartorio in simao dias, lagarto and tobias Barreto. All were different on the documents needed for marriage. It was a nightmare. Then after marriage went to the PF in Aracaju and the documents varied from person to person in the same location. Finally on our 3rd trip there a pf named Dennis which i say was an angel sent by God helped with everything in a professional manner. By the way the criminal record is valid for 90 days.

Rasvi

Here is the list of requirements for permanency based on marriage. I got it just now from the pf.gov.br  website.  I understand you may be told something different from people you talk to. Some agent may want additional documents depending on their mood. What happened when I went or what happened when someone else went there really doesn't mean it will be the same for you.

Request for stay based on marriage

Request for stay based on marriage, as provided in Administrative Rule MJ No. 4/2015 and related legislation (article 75, II, "a" Law No. 6815/80 and RN No. 108/2014 CNIg):
Own request, available at https://servicos.dpf.gov.br/sincreWeb/ ;

Two (02) 3x4 size pictures, recent, colorful, with white background.

Authenticated, clear and complete copy of passport or equivalent travel document;

Certified copy of the marriage certificate;

Authenticated copy of the Brazilian identity card of the spouse;

Declaration that they are not separated de facto or de jure, signed by the couple, with recognized firms;

Declaration that he has not been prosecuted or criminally convicted in Brazil or abroad if he has not been married for more than 5 years;

Proof of payment of the respective fee.

Revenue Code: 140066 - R $ 168.13 (Request for Permanence)

Revenue Code: 140082 - R $ 106,45 (Foreign Registration)

Revenue Code: 140120 - R $ 204.77 (Foreigner's Portfolio)

* To check if there is a calendar available for service, reprint form 154 or generate the GRU for payment of fees, click  here

Comments:

The documents issued abroad must be legalized by Brazilian consular office and translated by a sworn translator in Brazil.

Jim

Documents no longer are to be legalized  at the general consulate of Brazil. I got this info from their website.
Legalization and Authentication of Documents

Beginning August 14th, 2016, due to the implementation in Brazil of the 1961 Hague Convention
(“The Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents”, known as the “Apostille Convention”),
Brazilian Consulates will no longer legalize foreign documents issued by countries which are also parties to the 1961 Hague Convention.

As the United States of America is a party to the Convention, the Consulate General of Brazil in Washington will no longer legalize documents
issued in the United States, which will be accepted in Brazil only with an apostille issued by the competent authority in the United States,
such as the Secretary of State.

1) Consular Authentication

The Consulate General of Brazil in Washington will continue to authenticate:

a) Signatures from Brazilian nationals and foreigners with "RNE" (Registro Nacional de Estrangeiro); and
    b) Photocopies of Brazilian documents (accompanied by the original).

2) Apostille

Examples of documents which will no longer be legalized by the Consulate General (and will need to be certified with an apostille
by the competent authorities instead):

i) Public documents issued by foreign / American institutions, such as:
    - Birth, marriage and death certificates;
    - Notary acts (signature of foreigners, public power of attorney, will, etc.);
    - Court documents, adoption, divorce, custody of minors, etc.; or
    - Documents issued by schools and universities.

ii) Private documents previously certified by a Notary Public and a County Clerk, such as:
    - Private power of attorney;
    - Private statements;
    - Travel authorization forms, except for Brazilian citizens and foreign nationals who have “RNE” and attend in person to the Consulate,
    in order to proceed the signature authentication;
    - Authorization forms to issue passports for minors, except for Brazilians and foreign nationals who have RNE and attend in person to the Consulate,
    in order to proceed the signature authentication; or
    - Life certificate forms.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Foreign documents legalized by Brazilian Consulates  by August 14th, 2016, will be valid in Brazil until February 14th, 2017
(article 20 of the 'Resolução CNJ nº 228', dated 06/22/2016. From then on, documents will only be valid if legalized by the competent foreign authority.

For information on the validity of the Apostille Convention by Brazil, please contact the CNJ Ombudsman Office (Ouvidoria):

Webpage: http://www.cnj.jus.br/ouvidoria-page
Phone : +55 (61) 2326-4607 / 2326-4608

Thanks

His country is not a member of the Hague convention as I remember in previous posts.

Yes I understand all I have get certified from brazil consulate in brazil and do here thanks all for all info thank you

My sworn translations with proof of filing in the Registro de Titulos e Documentos should be here in the next day or two. We pick that up and walk a few blocks to the other cartorio to get our marriage appointment. The updated copy of her divorce will be ready for us to pick up (or at least start the process) and we'll just need to turn over my documents, after getting copies of them and getting them authenticated to the right clerk/section, pick a date for the actual ceremony, and pay for the ceremony and the updated copy of her divorce.

I am in a similar situation, I'm starting my citizenship

I need a police clearance from South Africa.....I don't even want to go into detail of how much of a primitive pain in the ass process this is .....from the South African side

But- I Called the  Brazilian Consulate in Cape Town to find out about getting it authenticated or whatever......the woman said in Portuguese it's no longer necessary because of the convention etc

So is this true.....I don't wanna get the certificate here only to find out it needed to go to the consulate in South Africa......Guess I'll make a few more enquiries at the local PF

My problem is the trustworthiness of the cartorio we ended up using for the translations. We each asked them3-4 times before giving them any money about the length of time the translation (5 days) would require and that it would include the registro do cartorio de titulos e documentos. They assured us at least 4 separate times that we would be ready to walk to the cartorio where the wedding will occur and start the process.

They took 2 weeks to get us an estimate on the documents. Again, they assured us after telling us R$480 that included the required post-translation registration of the documents in Santos. I got two other estimates for quite a bit less from online sources. In fact, one was half of what the cartorio wanted, but she didn't offer the registration service and the cartorio included it in their quote. So we picked the cartorio.

I went and picked up the documents last week (a week late) and took them to the second cartorio where I was told the required registration hadn't taken place. Took the documents back to complain and was told several times that we were told the required registration was not part of the original quote and that the error was because that particular service is new for them. We both repeatedly told them that we had been repeatedly assured that everything that needed to be done was part of what we paid so much for.

I asked why I would pay R$480 for something I had another quote for R$250 for? Why would I pay double unless it was because I expected that service to be carried out? I told him that I had been told I could "Pega" my translated documents and "Leva os para o cartorio e agendar o casamento." 

Even better, the translator screwed up on my mother's signature on my birth certificate, so we had to have them call her and bitch her out for that. I think the owner of the cartorio knows we're right about being told the required registration was quoted as being part of the original deal. He told one of the kids that helped us that he was picking up the corrected documents from the translator and taking them to the cartorio in Santos and then picking them back up, in his own car.

Now we've paid another R$190 to this sheisty cartorio (Cartorio Mais) and are supposed to pick the documents up tomorrow or Thursday. I really hope the required registration was accomplished and we an go to the other cartorio to get the wedding process started.