Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

Thanks, but I'm not going if I have to stay there for 6 months. I'd be going to San Diego and using the Los Angeles consulate if I went since my parents live there. I emailed SF because Los Angeles wasn't responding to my messages. They hardly ever do.

Hi,
Respected Sir,
I submit my documents for RNE to PF and they issue a slip that i can get it within 90 days. i ask them can i go back to dubai and back again when it will be ready. they gave me permission. on exit stamp they mention that i should have to enter in brazil within two years. i just want to ask you if i go back to brazil after six months and collect my RNE. is it ok or i should have to go again within 90 days to collect my RNE?
Please answer me Sir.

They will send it to the PF office where you applied when it is ready. If you do not pick it up in a timely fashion it will be sent back to Brasilia. I don't ,know if someone else can pick it up for you.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it's ok to email the Brazilian consulate in NYC asking what papers they need to approve/how to make an appt. Because isn't it visa fraud to get married on a tourist visa in Brazil? I know it is in the US but I don't know about in Brazil. Do I make an appt via email?

Also, when should I order a certified copy of my birth certificate? I know it has to be less than 180 days old when it gets approved by the Brazilian consulate in the US. So I don't want to get it too early or late. I'm planning on going to Brazil by early July.

Also I was wondering where and how in the US I obtain a document saying I'm legally single. The US doesn't provide this service for some reason. How long does it take?

Thank you,

Cheyenne

I don't believe it is visa fraud in Brazil. Many people come here on a tourist visa and get married. The legally single document is one that you can write yourself, however if you have been married before you will need copies of your divorces. You should contact the place you are getting married at in Brazil to see what they require.  I would get the birth certificate just before you are ready to travel.

Thank you. I can email the federal police in Fortaleza. Also, shouldn't I get the birth certificate earlier than before I travel? Because first I need to go and get it certified by the Brazilian consulate in my country yes?

Also I'm single. I've never been married before. What do I write on the paper? How do I get it officialized or notarized?

This link may help you with all your questions   
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=371494

Hello Cheyenne,

I came here on a tourist visa 2 months ago and I'm getting married next Wednesday. Visa fraud was never discussed and it's not an issue. As for your civil status, I think if you have a Certificate of civil status which I discuss on James email it would be nice. As I had explained then, some Cartorios are adamant about knowing your civil status. I had offered them my divorce certificate but it wasn't enough. This particular Cartorio wanted to know what my status was NOW not in 2001 when I was divorced. Luckily a third try at another cartorio and they told me it wasn't required. The other issues as I had explained was seal from your BRASILIAN Consulate and then translation locally. These two steps cannot be circumvented. It would be handy if you knew somebody locally who is a lawyer. Mine was nice enough to explain the painstaking steps through the whole process.
Good luck,
Steven

Wait. A certified copy with the County seal of origin isn't enough for the birth certificate? It HAS to go to the Brazilian Consulate? What about people that decide to get married after they get here?

I really don't get all this BS with documents having to be issued less than 90 days prior to something. It doesn't make one shred of sense to me at all. Sure, IF I were Brazilian, or US birth documents changed over time, I'd understand, but my birth certificate from the day after I was born is the exact same birth certificate I'm sending my mother to the end of the state to pick up for me. Both have the same validity. Same with my divorce decree. It hasn't changed one bit since 1988 when it was issued.

Mike, you have my empathy. You really do. I went through hell and with the help of my daughter I got everything done back in Montreal. Imagine if you will the consulate on strike in Montreal. I can't even get the damn seal on the certificate and the clock is ticking!!! Luckily it was done in a timely fashion. I assure you Mike, that Birth certificate needs to be up to date. Can't help you with where that birth certificate would be. In Quebec it's centralized so there is no guessing. Same goes with that Divorce certificate, it needs to be fresh. As for your current civil status...certificate as one Cartorio had asked me, hopefully you won't need to supply one. It's stupid and I was able to beat it. Lastly and once again, everything needs to be translated by a JUCEE translator. 60 reais per page.
Getting married next Wednesday!
Take care,
Steven

I got married in South Africa and applied outside of Brazil....it was really easy didn't have to translate one document, just got the birth certificate
issued and handed it in at the consulate...I guess they just make it extra hard if you from the USA with the whole visa policy

So happy for you that you're getting married! Parabens :)

Also, you mentioned that some places do not require a form that was notarized saying that you're single? I live in the US and have seen that you need to have it done by a notary? I was also wondering how did you make an appointment for legalizing everything with the brazilian consulate near you? For my tourist visa, I made the appointment online but because this is different, do I just email them?

Thanks,

Cheyenne

We're getting married here. We were going to get married in the US, but her visa was denied 4 times. The cartorio said my birth certificate and divorce decree both have to be issued within the last 90 days and translated by a sworn translator and then filed with some federal office.

I think it's just a money game. Gimme more money.

Hey Mike,

I figured that much. I had to register myself which means I must be recognized as a citizen but not a naturalized resident of Brazil...I think it means I needed to fork out another 513 reais. Like I said, the translator must be a JUCEE and the cost is 60 reais. This is standard with all JUCEEs. They abide by the list price and I called 3 to check that out. Also remember that birth certificate and divorce decree need to have that Brazilian consulate seal. You can have someone go for you. That's not an issue. The seal is 80 Canadian dollars which means $50 US?

My future wife just chuckled and suggested you come to Linhares. Everything here is much faster. In  all it took us two months!

Steven

Cheyenne,

Obrigado!!!! I think there is some confusion. Your birth certificate requires the seal of the Brazilian consulate where you previously lived. For example, I lived in Montreal. I could not ask the embassy in Ottawa to approve my birth certificate. It had to be done locally. Now if you don't have someone to help you and go to the local consulate you can send your paper work directly there at the nearest consulate where you previously lived. As to your civil status, I would check with your cartorio of choice or a lawyer you are acquainted. Remember, if it is a civil ceremony, there will be cartorios. One that registers you (if not already done) and the second who will perform the ceremony.  Why? As Mike would say, to make money. I don't know why this is done that way. I never asked, I just...paid.
I'm not sure what you did online, can you elaborate please?

Steven

as ive said all my documents were well over a year old, my birth certificate is 61 years old
I brought everything to me when I came to brazil, the only thing I get here was the transition, I took every thing with the translation to the F/police, and had no problem the age of the documents

60 reais? The lowest quote I've gotten for my birth certificate and divorce decree is R$400! Can I send  you a PDF with my documents so you can get me a quote? And nobody here has mentioned a Consulate seal. Not even the Consulate website shows that.

LOL. Linhares. My fiance moved from Vitoria to be with me,

Once I get the translations and get them registered in the Book of Notes or something like that, I've been told it'll only take me a few days to get my CIE, which means I can't be deported for being illegal, and I can come and go as I please, as long as I don't stay out of the country for more than 2 years.

I just sent an email to the Los Angeles Consulate to see if I really need to have them put some sort of seal on my birth certificate.

spanishpete wrote:

as ive said all my documents were well over a year old, my birth certificate is 61 years old
I brought everything to me when I came to brazil, the only thing I get here was the transition, I took every thing with the translation to the F/police, and had no problem the age of the documents

My fiance is saying that's because you're an "idoso." You're over 60 years of age, so everything is different for you. Lucky dog.

Ok let's talk apples and oranges

The translation is 60 reais per PAGE. I had 7 pages so that's 420 reais. That's just the translation alone (apples). Then the Book of Notes which is one of two Cartorios that will register you (no need for her) will cost you another 450 to 500 reais...depending also on the number of pages. Now this cartorio noticed that the small writing indicating where the seal was done french street name in Montreal was not translated...so they charged a little extra  513 reais (those are the oranges).y Then the melancia (watermelon). Finally, you will pay the law firm performing your marriage about 433 reais.  The date of the wedding is usually 3-4 from the date of payment. They ask you AND your witnesses to come twice. Once two sign as witnesses, the second time when they give you the wedding date to acknowledge the date and that you agree to get married.
So to recap:
Seal at the Consulate in LA:                  50-80 US$
Translation by JUCEE:                             60 reais per page
Registrar 1ier oficio de...                        513 reais to register
Casamento                                               433 reais

There you go!
Steven

Hi Steven,

the closest Brazilian Consulate near me is in NYC. I live in NJ. So, this is how I understand it. I just need to go to the Brazilian consulate to certify my birth certificate (less than 180 days old) and my affidavit that says im free to marry (which I still don't really know how to get yet, I guess from any notary?).

Then, when I get to Brazil I can register for permission to marry once the above documents are translated.

Correct?

It 's too bad you can't just get married in the USA. It would make things simpler. Then the RNE/CIE would be a piece of cake.

Hello Cheyenne,

I'm assuming that you already have a tourist visa. If that's confirm then yes you understood everything!

1) Consulate approval;
2) Translation;
3) First Cartorio to acknowledge that the papers are in order (free) and then they will suggest a Cartorio (usually the 1ier oficino) to register yourself (it takes 4-5 days);
4) Back to the original Cartorio to apply for a casamento (this takes 3-4 days) and pay about 450 reais for your wedding...don't forget to bring your witnesses;
5) come back with the witnesses and finalize the date of your wedding,

You are all set!

Steven

Thank you Steven! I already have a tourist visa, you're right on that :)

Good luck with everything!

And quicker. I can go to a county clerk in San Diego, pay the $18US and walk out married. I don't understand the "need" for all this bureaucracy and cost to get married here. It's ludicrous.

I know Mike what your saying. That registrar thing is unbelievable and unnecessary. It's as if my hand had an automatic sensor to shell out more money. Then the question, "So I'm paying to exist?" I don't even know to be brutally honest why I registered!!! And yet I will need to show up at the PF every 6 months? Maybe not, I will know more on the 23rd of this month when I show them my wedding certificate. I'll keep you posted.

Steven

HI Vanlou,

I can't help since this is an American thing. Personally I've never needed to provide a Certificate of that nature. I'll let the American Expats step in on this one.

Steven

I just heard from the LA Consulate. Not "authentication" is required anymore per a law that passed in August. Just some sort of an "apostille" from the county of origin. I'm still waiting to hear about the age of my documents though. My parents are going to San Jose for me to pick up new copies of the birth certificate and divorce decree.

I know that we were told all we need for me is a "certidão de Responsibilidade" signed by my girlfriend.

you don't need a criminal record check anymore , all you need is a letter from your partner saying your a good person,
its that simple

Vanlou

Be advised. When you look at information be sure to look on the website of the agency that you will be dealing with.  Since you will be doing your permanency in Brazil you will need to satisfy the requirements of the Policia Federal.  The Brazilian consulates differs in some respects.  As far as the criminal record check, it's true the PF no longer require it. Instead they will give you a declaration form to fill out and sign. The form states that that you have no criminal background in Brazil or abroad.

Jim

I belive, if you had a criminal record older then 10 years you don't have to mention it

to any US citizen who got married in Brazil,

The question I have is about the freedom to marry form. I read on the US Marriage abroad website (us gov't webstie) that I can write my own freedom to marry form, sign it, and a US consular officer in Brazil can notarize my form, and it will be valid.

Is this true?

Dear Mr. James;
Hope you're doing well & really appreciate your information in this regard,
My question about getting brazilain passport by marriege.
My friend arrived on 7th April 2016 and got married with brazilain women on 10 June 2016.
For now he has following documents for the way to get passport.
1. Married certificate
2. Bank account
3. CEDULA DE IDENTIDADE DE ESTRANGEIRO permanent class
4. CPF
5. Work permit
6.  Portugues language certificates for 9 months study
7. Financial evedence for supporting himself
8.  According to information he will stay in brazil for 1 year un interrupted. He is here for his stay.
10. He will do his naturalization in April 2017.

Incase he ask the following questions

1.is it possible to get brazilain passport after his naturalization with having above documents.
2. Is it necessary to have millitry service certificate and election or voting prove for getting passport?
2. What more documents required to get the brazilain passport?

We will be very thankful if you honorable prepare effective information in this regard.

Sincerely yours,

Momand

Dear Mr. James;
Hope you're doing well & really appreciate your information in this regard,
My question about getting brazilain passport by marriege.
My friend arrived on 7th April 2016 and got married with brazilain women on 10 June 2016.
For now he has following documents for in the way to get brazilain passport.
1. Married certificate
2. Bank account
3. CEDULA DE IDENTIDADE DE ESTRANGEIRO permanent class
4. CPF
5. Work permit
6.  Portugues language certificates for 9 months study
7. Financial evedence for supporting himself
8.  According to information he will stay in brazil for 1 year un interrupted. He is here for his stay.
10. He will do his naturalization in April 2017.

Incase he ask the following questions

1.is it possible to get brazilain passport after his naturalization with having above documents.
2. Is it necessary to have millitry service certificate and election or voting prove for getting passport?
2. What more documents required to get the brazilain passport?

We will be very thankful if you honorable prepare effective information in this regard.

Sincerely yours,

Momand

Hello Momand,

I trust that you are well. James has past away in the spring of 2016. I have some related experience in marriage procedures but not for getting a passport. Two other regular expats might help you and they often peak. These are Jland and Pete. I hope they can help you.

Good luck,
Steven

spanishpete wrote:

I belive, if you had a criminal record older then 10 years you don't have to mention it

That's good news for me then.

As far as I understand  in order to get citizenship you will have to past a test. You will need to be fluent in portuguese. There is a period of time that must pass before you are eligible. I don't know what that is but you should be able to find out if you research  it. As faras votiny. You cannot vote unless you are a citizen and then it is a requirement.

Hi Again Everyone,

I just want to verify that I can use a certified copy of my birth certificate instead of the original, correct?

Also, for the VIPER, it says I need a police background check. I do not have a criminal record, but I will get one in my home country (USA) anyway. However, it says that it needs to be good for 90 days. But, after I get married in Brazil and apply for the VIPER it may already be expired. How do I get this renewed? Or when I certify it will it be good until I use it in Brazil?

Lastly, it says on the NYC Consulado do Brazil website that they will no longer be apostatize documents from NY, NJ, and PA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beginning on August 14th 2016, due to the implementation in Brazil of the 1961 Hague Convention (“The Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents”,  known as the “Apostille Convention”), Brazilian Consulates will no longer legalize foreign documents issued by countries which are also a party to the 1961 Hague Convention.

As the United States of America is a party to the Convention, the Consulate General of Brazil in New York will no longer legalize documents issued in the states of New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, which will be accepted in Brazil only with an apostille issued by the competent authority in these states.

As the United Kingdom is also a party to the Convention, the Consulate General of Brazil in New York will no longer legalize documents issued in the Bermuda Islands (which is part of its jurisdiction), which will be accepted in Brazil only with an apostle issued by the competent by the competent authority in that territory.

The Consulate General of Brazil in New York will continue to legalize:

-          signatures from Brazilian nationals and foreigners who have RNE (“Registro Nacional de Estrangeiro”);

-          photocopies of Brazilian documents;

Foreign documents legalized by Brazilian Consulates and Embassies by August 14th, 2016, will be valid in Brazil until February 14th, 2017 (article 20 of the Resolução CNJ nº 228, from 06/22/2016). From then on, documents will only be valid if legalized by the competent foreign authority.

Examples of documents which will no longer be legalized by the Consulate (and need to be certified with an apostille by the competent authorities):

i) Public documents issued by foreign institutions (American and from Bermuda Islands):

a.      Birth, marriage and death certificates;

b.      Notarial acts (public power of attorney, will, etc);

c.      Court documents (adoption, divorce, custody of minors, etc);

d.      Documents issued by schools and universities.

ii) Private documents previously certified by Notary Public and County Clerk:

a.      Private power of attorney;

b.      Private statements;

c.       Travel authorization forms, except for Brazilian citizens and foreign nationals who have “RNE” and attend in person to the Consulate, in order to proceed the signature authentication;

d.      Authorization forms to issue passports for minors, except for Brazilians and foreign nationals who have RNE and attend in person to the Consulate, in order to proceed the signature authentication;

e.      Life certificate forms.

COMPETENT AUTHORITIES TO ISSUE THE APOSTILLE

The links to the Government agencies that issue apostilles in the regions of our consular jurisdiction are:

New Jersey: http://www.nj.gov/treasury/revenue/apostilles.shtml

New York: http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/apostille.html

Pennsylvania: http://www.dos.pa.gov/OtherServices/Cer … fault.aspx

Bermuda Islands:  http://elections.gov.bm/apostille-information/

APOSTILLE IN BRAZILIAN DOCUMENTS

The Consulate General recalls that Brazilian documents will only be accepted in the United States and in Bermuda Islands after receiving an apostille issued by the competent Brazilian authority. The Consulate General does not issue apostille for Brazilian documents.

To learn how and where to issue an apostille for your document, visit the website of the National Council of Justice (CNJ): http://www.cnj.jus.br/poder-judiciario/ … la-da-haia

CONTACTS

If you have any question regarding this subject, contact the Consulate-General: [email protected]. You can also contact the National Council of Justice (CNJ): [email protected].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone in these three states, PA, NJ, and NY, gone to their state notaries/apostles and gotten married in Brazil?

Thank you,

Cheyenne

My parents had to go the California Secretary of State to get the apostille.

I wanted to let you all know that Maria Vilma and I got married December 14th without a hitch and no interpreter.
We are off to the PF on the 22nd. I'll update you then.

Steven