Looking for South Africans living in Mauritius

Hi all
My name is Warren and I am from South Africa. My wife, 2 year old daughter and I are looking at the possibility of immigrating to Mauritius. I was in the IT field for 15 years and have been self employed for the last 5 years as a programmer / developer / consultant.

I have read most of the information on this site and others but would like to communicate with another South African who lives in Mauritius to find out the comparison of living there as to South Africa.

Welcome to Expat-blog,

I'm pretty sure you will receive some positive reactions on your request very shortly.

All the best
Arlette

SA's in Mauritius, no..... SA's feel more at home in Mauritius than they do in SA :) I once heard there's about 20,000 to 30,000 South Africans living in Mauritius. My wife is from SA but she's an American citizen.

Hi pbrough

How long did your wife live in SA did she grow up here. IF she did I would like to communicate with her as I have many questions I would like to ask her.

Hi FeeAcer thank you for the welcome.

Greetings to all.

Some questions that I could not find answers for are,

1. I was thinking about opening a guest house however my concern was you cannot buy property unless you have a permanent residence permit.

2. What happens if I move to Mauritius work and live there until I retire? What happens when I re-apply for a occupation permit or a permanent residence permit Does this mean I now have to bring US$40000 for 3 years.

3. What stops the Mauritian government from refusing to renewing permanent residence permit or 3 year work permit even if you meet all the criteria and you have been in the country for say 30 years? I would be bringing my wife and child over and would like to know that we would be safe in that fact.

4. Are non citizen living in the country allowed work in the tourist industry or are there restrictions as I saw something about you cannot work for dive centers.

Unfortunately there will be many more questions. Thank you in advance for any answers or replies.

Hi there. I am also new to this forum. My husband and i (+x2 kids) are thinking of expanding our business into mu. We currently own x2 businesses here in Johannesburg. Can anyone (SA people), give me more insight as to how difficult or easy it is to do? Any other info will greatly be appreciated. Like schools, bla, bla..:P You may email me at [email protected]  Many thanx!! Marianne