Please help??

Can someone please help??  Im disabled and on DLA so is my daughter, my husband has just qualified as a carpenter but is doi g odd jobs. We can have a few grand behind us but do we need visas?  Bank balance? Healthcare?  Will we etill get DLA?? Can we just save up and go there?? Any advice gratefully accepted

Hi vintagejules2013,

I have created a new topic from your post on the Gibraltar Forum.

I'm sure the other members will soon reply to you post. Meanwhile please feel free to browse through the discussion on the forum and even participate, ask questions :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hello!

I work here but not a permanent resident so I can only tell you what I know from my side.

If you're British Passport holders you don't need a visa to come to Gib. Healthcare wise - from past experience (I always seems to find out the hard way!) if you need emergency treatment (a trip to A&E perhaps) you can get that free if you can produce your British passport. Anything else seems to require medical insurance.

For things like DLA I have no idea -  hope this link is at least of some use...

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/claiming-benefits-in-europe

Cash in the bank is VERY useful. Beer and cigs are cheap. Houses, Apartments and Morrsions are NOT!

:)

Thankyou so much, thats a great help, do we have to register as citizens to put our children into school? If so whats the procedure? No visa?? So we just turn up and move in?:)

Oh right!! Thankyou :)

Im disabled and on DLA so is my daughter, my husband has just qualified as a carpenter but is doi g odd jobs. We can have a few grand behind us but do we need visas?  Bank balance? Healthcare?  Will we etill get DLA?? Can we just save up and go there?? Any advice gratefully accepted

You need more than a few grand. You need a lot of grands.  Rent - legitimate rent, which is what you need to get ID - is upwards of £700 a month.

There are a few properties under £100K but most start from £125K.

You can't buy govt housing until you have been resident for three years. You can't rent it for a million years :D

No visas, as said.  Bank balance? A good idea. Heathcare - related to residency. Therein lies the catch.  Things have tightened up.

You can't get health care without ID.  You can't get ID without a job and a place to live in Gib. Get the idea?

There are jobs for carpenters. Vacancies where my partner currently works.

No idea about DLA. Gib benefits are not exactly generous. And I doubt they would be happy to dish out to someone who has just arrived from the Uk unless there is reciprocity. You need to do your research on that one.

Wages are not high and accommodation is expensive. If you are looking for a nice cheap life in the sun, think again.

Thankyou, thats a great help, any chance of that company name please so hub can apply?? I knew the rent was high, but thanks for the rest of the info, thats a great help :)

I need to explain the system.  To work legally in Gib you need an employment contract (or have a self-employed business which is NOT the same as the UK).

To work for someone else you need a contract of employment.  This needs to be approved by the Govt employment board. 

Two co-workers who worked for the same firm as Partner were knocked back this year when they asked for work.  They live in Spain. A Gib address is paramount. 

You need to be here with a Gib address, rental contract, utility bills and all the rest of it before you can get a job. Or your own flat.

There is no point applying for construction work from the UK. Yes, it works for gambling, but construction is another matter.

Your partner has only just qualified in carpentry?  Mine has more than 40 years experience (in decorating) and is CITB qualified. What papers does yours have? He will be competing with Moroccan joiners with more than 40 years experience and British ones with the same experience and with papers.

Does he have NVQ or City and Guilds?

forgot.  Also will be competing with Rumanians, Spaniards, Polish, Portuguese.  All of whom are very good, skilled, and experienced.

The trade rate is £7.47 an hour.

Still want to come?