Shopping Online: For a guitar!

Hi guys
I posted a while back on a similar topic, about finding a used bass guitar in HCMC. Unfortunately that didn't pan out so I am looking online instead

I just wanted to ask if anyone here has bought such a thing (a musical instrument) online before? My experience with Vietnamese customs has obviously not been great, and my first reaction to this is that it's not a very smart idea, but i'm kinda desperate here

I'm wondering if there will be unusually high tax (as there is for electronics) and if they allow you to bring in a used guitar in the first place. I recall EMS returning my vintage camera I bought on eBay for the reason that used cameras cannot be imported into Vietnam, so I'm always a bit nervous when buying these things online

I realize this is a bit of an unusual topic and I don't expect many replies, but any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

can u go nguyen thiet thuan district 3, all street sell guita classical mucsic, or not,u can go cmt8 district, near lan anh stadium, they sell electric guita, or dan chu

Thanks! :) I've been to nguyen thien thuan, but like you say they only (or mainly) have acoustic (classical) guitars, and i'm looking for an electric bass. i have checked out doremi music shop, which is one of the better ones here, but they don't have much of a selection of electric bass guitars.

i'll check out the stores around CMT8, i haven't seen that yet. Cheers

If anyone has any info on a particular store, let me know - or if anyone's got info on the online shopping part, also let me know! :D Thanks

i know some store, but i just remember that what street it is living, i dont remember clearly, if u believe , i can take u to these store and u go to see and buy, i will wait u outside, my number phone: 01225022402, i am not broker, and i help u be free, my skype: [Moderated: Use private message to send private contact.]

thanks ly (i assume thats ur name!) i added u on skype :)

Have you considered finding a shop that imports guitars and asking them to order one for you? They may be more familiar with instrument-specific customs issues.

http://www.aeguitar.org/forums/forumdis … %E1%BB%9Dihttp://www.facebook.com/groups/MuaBan.M … .ProAudio/

yamahahoaquang.com.vn/products/
This is the big company about instruments, you can see, maybe have electrict bass.
Goodluck

jakejas wrote:

Have you considered finding a shop that imports guitars and asking them to order one for you? They may be more familiar with instrument-specific customs issues.

I asked this store called Doremi, which is usually great, but they said they'd let me know how much it'd cost - and never got back to me

I contacted a few guys who specialize in bringing stuff down from the US, for Vietnamese customers. They added like $100 to the cost of the item in the US - and then added a further $10 per kg for shipping. Not sure what the first $100 was for - so overall, it'd cost around $250-300 to ship a $150 guitar. Haha

Thanks for the links, guys - I'll check 'em out. The aeguitar forum looks promising. I've seen it before, but have had not much luck yet. I saw a Squier for sale but that's a bit overpriced, but maybe I'll get lucky.

So I guess the verdict is a big 'no-no' for buying guitars online. I think I agree

You should check "Nicole Dang-a member of forum"'s service. She always ships ESP guitars and basses with very low price

Cool, thanks, i'll try to contact her :) I'm not really a fan of ESP guitars but maybe i can get some other brands also

just thought i'd ask here instead of starting a new thread: does anyone know of a service that helps import stuff from the US? I know the "Ebay VN" (chodientu.vn) does this service, where they charge a fee, plus something like $10 per kg (for large items) and I've contacted them about buying a guitar online in the US and then getting it sent to Vietnam

But does anyone know somebody else who offers this sort of import service? Would very much appreciate any info on this. Thanks

Bảo : 093-766-6286
I shipped 2 ibanez 7strings guitars by using his service

thanks, bro - that's exactly the sort of info i was looking for! i guess it must be a bit expensive - but worth it, if i can get what i want

unfortunately, this guy is a bit too expensive - and since my guitar is a very cheap one, it's not really practical. Guitar - $150, shipping fee= $250

and for those of you who searched for this same information and came across this topic, my conclusion is: there is no cheap, safe way to buy a guitar online. there's no market selling good used electric basses (from known brands). there's only one or two shops selling brand-new electric basses from known brands that are not very expensive. so my final decision was to increase my budget to around $400 and buy a brand-new guitar

thanks all for the help anyway!

What brand are you looking for? Fender, Ibanez?

Unfortunately theres no dealer in VN for these brands. The nearest you can go is Bangkok.

lostsouls wrote:

Unfortunately theres no dealer in VN for these brands. The nearest you can go is Bangkok.

:D

ngaunhien wrote:
lostsouls wrote:

Im a guitar freak. You forgot? I've reasearched alot of things. hahahahah

lostsouls wrote:
ngaunhien wrote:
lostsouls wrote:

I remember leh,  searched a lot of things like WHAT ? Any over searched abt Guitar ?

ngaunhien wrote:
lostsouls wrote:
ngaunhien wrote:

I remember leh,  searched a lot of things like WHAT ? Any over searched abt Guitar ?

To gain more knowledge la. hahaha

Anything about guitars, amplifiers, pedals, etc, im very interested

lostsouls wrote:
ngaunhien wrote:
lostsouls wrote:

I would love to sit beside you and enjoy how you PLAY the guitar , under the monsoon little bit cold of the windy, a romantic song ? shadow , darkness, together ? What abt on the beach ?

ngaunhien wrote:
lostsouls wrote:
ngaunhien wrote:

I would love to sit beside you and enjoy how you PLAY the guitar , under the monsoon little bit cold of the windy, a romantic song ? shadow , darkness, together ? What abt on the beach ?

You sing, I play. My vocals suck. You'll vomit after I sing.:D

lostsouls wrote:
ngaunhien wrote:
lostsouls wrote:

Sounds good. I saw has a guy posted on the forum about going to vung tau beach. Do you wanna join then? Because during the week u gotta do nothing... Though...
And let's me check my school schedule too.
Note : I sing like a sink is sinking on their own holes.

ngaunhien wrote:
lostsouls wrote:
ngaunhien wrote:

Sounds good. I saw has a guy posted on the forum about going to vung tau beach. Do you wanna join then? Because during the week u gotta do nothing... Though...

Im not sure, man. Gotta see if i'm busy or not. My cambodia trip may put on hold because my friend just moved to new place & she spend quite alot. hahaha

So I'm open to anything if nothing crops up...

lostsouls wrote:
ngaunhien wrote:
lostsouls wrote:

Im not sure, man. Gotta see if i'm busy or not. My cambodia trip may put on hold because my friend just moved to new place & she spend quite alot. hahaha

Cool mate ! Or if you prefer we can just do jogging in city center and watch all the chicks leh !!! Hahhaha !!!
I'm also looking for a roommate, would Phung wants to share a flat which is I told to you before ?

ngaunhien wrote:
lostsouls wrote:
ngaunhien wrote:

Cool mate ! Or if you prefer we can just do jogging in city center and watch all the chicks leh !!! Hahhaha !!!
I'm also looking for a roommate, would Phung wants to share a flat which is I told to you before ?

Lets see how it goes

She has already shifted to her new place, at D3 beside her sisters place.

lostsouls wrote:
ngaunhien wrote:
lostsouls wrote:

Lets see how it goes

:D. Come here fast la !!  Saw many posts wanted roommate on this expat called and not available !!!
Some vnmese house/ flats they only want foreigner! Isolating  me leh.

ngaunhien wrote:
lostsouls wrote:
ngaunhien wrote:

Lets see how it goes

:D. Come here fast la !!  Saw many posts wanted roommate on this expat called and not available !!!

Need to secure a good job 1st. No job, no staying there. I dont wana be like last time go VN with nothing on hand:lol::lol:

lostsouls wrote:
ngaunhien wrote:
lostsouls wrote:

Lets see how it goes

Need to secure a good job 1st. No job, no staying there. I dont wana be like last time go VN with nothing on hand:lol::lol:

Understood ma !  Chat on FB leh, this morning I bought xôi mặn at new place and it's really wasted my money on that crap! Going to toilet 4 times also lol. Hahhaha pain.
There is only abt job you need to be stayed here mate, everything sort out when you have a local mate like me hehhehe !!!!

ngaunhien wrote:
lostsouls wrote:
ngaunhien wrote:

Understood ma !  Chat on FB leh, this morning I bought xôi mặn at new place and it's really wasted my money on that crap! Going to toilet 4 times also lol. Hahhaha pain.
There is only abt job you need to be stayed here mate, everything sort out when you have a local mate like me hehhehe !!!!

Maybe the xoi man was contaminated.

Dung roi. Once secure a job, everything will come.

lostsouls wrote:
ngaunhien wrote:
lostsouls wrote:

Maybe the xoi man was contaminated.

Dung roi. Once secure a job, everything will come.

Xôi mặn is contaminated yessssssss !!!!!!!!!
Đúng rồi mà, job !

Well, I thought I was on the wrong thread for a moment - thanks for keeping it on topic. lol

Anyway, any known guitar brand would've been fine. But as I'm on a budget, I'm looking for the cheap stuff at the moment. Quite a few stores carry Fenders here, actually. Some Ibanez too. But Fender is a bit out of my budget so I was looking at Squier - one store has a pretty decent selection, even though it's still a bit expensive, and not as cheap as I wanted to, but oh well, there goes my budget :) No luck with used guitars, which would've been perfect

xpression wrote:

Well, I thought I was on the wrong thread for a moment - thanks for keeping it on topic. lol

Anyway, any known guitar brand would've been fine. But as I'm on a budget, I'm looking for the cheap stuff at the moment. Quite a few stores carry Fenders here, actually. Some Ibanez too. But Fender is a bit out of my budget so I was looking at Squier - one store has a pretty decent selection, even though it's still a bit expensive, and not as cheap as I wanted to, but oh well, there goes my budget :) No luck with used guitars, which would've been perfect

I have a friend who is selling a Cort guitar. If you're interested, I can hook u up with him

Hmm.. not really a fan of Cort (don't know much about em, really) but I'll give it a shot - is it a bass?

xpression wrote:

Hmm.. not really a fan of Cort (don't know much about em, really) but I'll give it a shot - is it a bass?

Damn, I forgot you wanted a bass. Its a guitar.

Try some Schector models or LTD models ;)

No prob, man - I know, it's pretty hard to find a bass over here. Haha

badbadbad wrote:

Hmm, Scheters are alright - LTDs are alright too - but I'm a fan of the classic Fender basses. All my favorite bassists play a Fender P bass or a Fender Jazz bass, so that's what I'm going for...and as Squier is basically by Fender, I think its best for me...and I read some great reviews about the Squier VM Jazz bass. It's just under $300 in the US and just under $400 in HCMC. Sounds about right!

xpression wrote:
badbadbad wrote:

Hmm, Scheters are alright - LTDs are alright too - but I'm a fan of the classic Fender basses. All my favorite bassists play a Fender P bass or a Fender Jazz bass, so that's what I'm going for...and as Squier is basically by Fender, I think its best for me...and I read some great reviews about the Squier VM Jazz bass. It's just under $300 in the US and just under $400 in HCMC. Sounds about right!

P bass & Jazz bass are the mother of all basses. Any genres can be played with those.