Got a job in Maldives

Hi all

I joined today to this forum.

I'm a Sri Lankan & got job in Male City.
Can someone tell me please whether I can bring my wife also??
If can how about the cheapest but reasonable accommodation I can get near to Male city?

someone please help me.......

Thanks

Hello hbattanayake.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Regarding the accomodation question; you should post an advert in the Housing in Maldives and also specify what you're seeking for. ( House, Flat...)

Thanks

Karen :)

Many thanks.....

HI,

Yes, you can bring you wife. You need to apply a dependent visa once you are here.

Cheers.

Many thanks for information... are their special requirements to fulfill? (I mean minimum salary or something)

Anyone with a work permit can apply for a dependent's visa.

Hi mooch,

Thank you for your contribution :)

Maximilien
Expat-Blog Team.

always a pleasure :)

Hi all, I am a new member and my partner and I have got jobs on small island resort. Just wondering how we sort out banking or should we ask our new employers for help as we want to be able to transfer funds to our home accounts??
Thank u!!:)

HI Murrymint,

Firstly Congratulations on the job. It is possible to open a Bank account with one of the banks in maldives, we have a total of 7 different banks, and i personally recommend bank of maldives and HSBC,

Bank of maldives is easier as the minimum balance to maintain the account is USD10$s and for HSBC its USD2000.

advantage with these two banks is that you can do international Telegraphic transfers online.

your employer will arrange everything for you to open a bank account in maldives. things you will need is a employment letter with the company letter head with stamp, your work permit copy, a copy of your passport.

it will take only 1 day to open a account in bank of maldives.

on the sameday you can also apply for online banking, (please choose Premium) both premium and standard are free of charge, altho premium gives you more options to transfer money within local accounts or international accounts.

you can also apply for the visa debit card which can be used internationally, you can use this to buy goods online, using websites like ebay or asos

hope this helped

cheers
mooch

Thank you Mooch, much appreciated, lookin forward to the new jobs and way of life. Big move for us i'm irish and my other half is Austrian. Lots of info on this forum which has been a great help.:D:cool:

ok I do not like Bank of Maldives ..they told me we can not send money tO Egypt !!! ...so I'm using Xpress money now to transfer money ...I do not know about HSBC...

hi, i'm Rizuan Rozario.i'm warking bar waiter in filithyo Islent Resort. now i want job.

Hi rizuan.rozario,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

Can you please be more explicit ?

P.s - Thank you and please, are two little words that make everything and life easier  :happy:

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

-----

Mooch, is it right 2000 USD to open an HSBC account in Maldives? Or is it Ruffiya?

I'm moving to Maldives this 28th but I will need to send money back to Mexico regularly, so I'm much interested in the international transfers option.  And in Mexico we have HSBC too, so it would be an advantage to be able to do online transfers.

Thank you so much, your comments are very informative and helpful!!!

Gaby