New ID and its link to the yellow health card

Advice please :/  My husband and I are retired, have submitted our S1 forms to the UK and in turn have received our Certificates of Entitlement issued by the Ministry for Health in Malta. These certificates have our passport numbers on them because we don't have an identity number (we sent our E residence application by post 6 weeks ago) In order to visit clinic and the hospitals, Mater Dei has issued us with a number with an F at the end. The problem now is that the medicine Entitlement Unit at St Luke's hospital will not accept the forms that the consultant at the clinic has filled in to apply our yellow cards for chronic medicines. I phoned them today for an appointment (apparently you don't need one) but was told emphatically 'no ID to put in the system means we don't take your application' No matter how hard I tried to explain why we don't have an ID number or temporary one I got the same answer, no we won't process your application. I explained that Mater DEI and the Clinics are using the number with an F at the end, but they say they have to have an ID number We have nearly exhausted our 4 months supply of medicines from the UK and it looks like we could be paying for further chronic medications for months! Can we approach the British Embassy regarding this, as our right as British Citizens (or is it as EU Citizens) to have full health entitlement which includes medicines. Is there a 'customer care' email address that we can use to contact the Ministry for Home Affairs and National Security to explain the situation and chase up a temporary ID number. I  have noticed a few expats have mentioned this customer care dept but I can't find it on their website.

Hi there,

you should get a response within a few days from this address:

[email protected]

Nathalie Attard
Customer Care Co-Ordinator

Response is usually very generic though but if you make your case there might be a useful answer to your problem.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky, will do that.

rooikat wrote:

Advice please :/  My husband and I are retired, have submitted our S1 forms to the UK and in turn have received our Certificates of Entitlement issued by the Ministry for Health in Malta. These certificates have our passport numbers on them because we don't have an identity number (we sent our E residence application by post 6 weeks ago) In order to visit clinic and the hospitals, Mater Dei has issued us with a number with an F at the end. The problem now is that the medicine Entitlement Unit at St Luke's hospital will not accept the forms that the consultant at the clinic has filled in to apply our yellow cards for chronic medicines. I phoned them today for an appointment (apparently you don't need one) but was told emphatically 'no ID to put in the system means we don't take your application' No matter how hard I tried to explain why we don't have an ID number or temporary one I got the same answer, no we won't process your application. I explained that Mater DEI and the Clinics are using the number with an F at the end, but they say they have to have an ID number We have nearly exhausted our 4 months supply of medicines from the UK and it looks like we could be paying for further chronic medications for months! Can we approach the British Embassy regarding this, as our right as British Citizens (or is it as EU Citizens) to have full health entitlement which includes medicines. Is there a 'customer care' email address that we can use to contact the Ministry for Home Affairs and National Security to explain the situation and chase up a temporary ID number. I  have noticed a few expats have mentioned this customer care dept but I can't find it on their website.

Dear rooikat,

1) Given that Malta has broken EU law in your regard, copy, paste and submit your post to: the European Parliament Committee on Petitions online in any of the official languages of the European Union.

Simply click on this internet link to do so:

https://www.secure.europarl.europa.eu/a … ition.html

2) Please note that under EU law, an ‘e-Residence Card' / New identity card may under no circumstances be made a precondition for the exercise of a right or the completion of an administrative formality, because entitlement to rights may be attested by any other means of proof.

See page 36: Article 25 - Section 1: General provisions concerning residence documents

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex … 123:en:PDF

In precisely the same vein, the reason underpinning the decision of the European Commission to launch infringement proceedings against Malta for the incorrect application of the free movement Directive regarding the discriminatory two-tier water and electricity consumption tariff policy is as follows:

‘….To benefit from reduced water and electricity tariffs, EU citizens residing in Malta need to submit specific residence documents – other means for proving their residence are not accepted by the MT authorities. By contrast, Maltese citizens need only to submit a copy of their identity card (and no proof of residence)………….'

Hi Oisin,

to be honest, most of us know these things!

But how long will it take to enforce these issues with Malta?

Do you have any timeline and whether affected EU citizens can claim for damages?

I don't think signing the petition will help rooikat with his problem , as much as Arriva is still charging higher rates and ARMS still charge different rates although they were challenged by the EU.

I do agree that we should sign the petition but I don't see any reaction from the EU that would help involved EU citizens.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi Oisin,

to be honest, most of us know these things!

But how long will it take to enforce these issues with Malta?

Do you have any timeline and whether affected EU citizens can claim for damages?

I don't think signing the petition will help rooikat with his problem , as much as Arriva is still charging higher rates and ARMS still charge different rates although they were challenged by the EU.

I do agree that we should sign the petition but I don't see any reaction from the EU that would help involved EU citizens.

Cheers
Ricky

Dear Ricky,

QED - as follows:

The Times of Malta, Friday, 27th June, 2008.

Departure tax removal 'a victory for citizens' rights'

Nationalist MEP Simon Busuttil yesterday described the recent announcement of the removal of the departure tax as a victory for Maltese citizens' rights in the EU.

Addressing the Petitions Committee of the European Parliament, which was discussing five separate petitions against this tax, Dr Busutil welcomed the government's decision to completely abolish the tax.

"At a time of disillusionment with Europe, particularly following the rejection of the Lisbon Treaty in Ireland, here is one concrete example that the EU works for citizens. This is a victory for citizens' rights," Dr Busuttil told the committee.
Dr Busuttil praised the five complainants for standing up for their EU rights and also thanked the Commission for its involvement in this case.

The petitions in front of the EP committee were received from two Maltese citizens, Anna Ignacak Mifsud and Matthew Buttigieg, the Federated Association of Travel and Tourism Agents (Fatta), Robert Coenen, a Dutch citizen and Oisin Jones-Dillon from Ireland.

They all asked the Petitions Committee to intervene and exert pressure on the Maltese authorities to remove this tax.

Asked for his reaction, a representative of the European Commission told the committee that earlier this month the Commission had decided to take this case to the European Court of Justice.

However, it subsequently received a letter from Maltese Foreign Minister Tonio Borg, addressed to Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso, which announced that the Maltese authorities intended to remove the tax completely with effect from November 1 and to publish the relevant legal notice by the end of this month. He said that a copy of the regulations has already been sent to the Commission.

The Commission representative said that the Commission will now wait to see whether the removal will indeed take place as announced.

Intervening during the debate, Dr Busuttil pointed out that two of the five complainants referred not just to the departure tax charged on flights but also to the departure tax levied on passengers who use maritime transport, such as the catamaran to Sicily.

He asked the Commission to declare whether it felt that this tax too was incompatible with EU law in the same way as the departure tax charged on flights.

The committee agreed to leave the petitions open pending a reply from the Commission on this point.

Source: http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … hts.214314

Hi Oisin,

please ! Come on ....

That was 2008.

Has anything happened since then ?

We are now in July 2013. How long will rooikat have to wait for his yellow card and medicine?

Let's be realistic .....

Until Malta (if ever) is blasted with a million Euro fine that is enforced ASAP ( don't see that happening) nothing will change.

We can all sign 100's of petitions until then ....

The issue of pushing back irregular immigrants to Libya was solved overnight and Malta stopped in it's tracks.

It seems that irregular immigrants have a stronger lobby than that for EU citizens .

Just my humble opinion ....

Cheers
Ricky

yes but this was 5 years ago - how many moves forward here have the EU made in say the last two years????? not many if any at all.

Dear Ricky,

Re: 'It seems that irregular immigrants have a stronger lobby than that for EU citizens....'

If you believe that to be case, then the question is why EU citizens don't have a stronger lobby.

What do you suggest EU citizens should do, specifically, in order to fashion a stronger lobby?

toonarmy9752 wrote:

yes but this was 5 years ago - how many moves forward here have the EU made in say the last two years????? not many if any at all.

Several, toonarmy9752.

But they've never been advertised nor are they ever likely to be.

Hi Oisin,

we can discuss politics and lobbying as much as we want but I think rooikat was looking for a faster solution to their problem.

You have been on the island for longer than I have and have more contacts than I have. Is there anything we can do to solve their accute problem of access to essential medicine?

Cheers
Ricky

Go private, it's not expensive and you get what you need quickly.
Not the answer byron would agree with but we have to live in the real world and harping on about what we should be entitled too is not helping rooikat.

Terry ( on holiday in Sicily).

ricky wrote:

Hi Oisin,

we can discuss politics and lobbying as much as we want but I think rooikat was looking for a faster solution to their problem.

You have been on the island for longer than I have and have more contacts than I have. Is there anything we can do to solve their accute problem of access to essential medicine?

Cheers
Ricky

Apart from the contact details you have already provided, nothing springs to mind, Ricky.

However, even if the Ministry for Home Affairs and National Security feigns indifference, it is certain to be sensitive to the fact that rooikat is aware of his EU rights.

Hi Terry,

the problem with private is that they do not cover pre-existing conditions.

Otherwise it is a legitimate option.

Cheers
Ricky

tearnet wrote:

Go private, it's not expensive and you get what you need quickly.
Not the answer byron would agree with but we have to live in the real world and harping on about what we should be entitled too is not helping rooikat.

Terry ( on holiday in Sicily).

Rest assured, Terry.

I only operate in the real world.

Since when has politics reflected real situations in the real world? We love the islands and the people but they do regard the Ex Pat and the tourist as 'cash cows'. Until something impacts upon the island's powers that be, very little will change. By that I mean they need to be hit where it hurts; in the collective pocket. Show me a politician who is going to do that.

redmik wrote:

Since when has politics reflected real situations in the real world? We love the islands and the people but they do regard the Ex Pat and the tourist as 'cash cows'. Until something impacts upon the island's powers that be, very little will change. By that I mean they need to be hit where it hurts; in the collective pocket. Show me a politician who is going to do that.

well said Red

rooikiat needs prompt action and no amount of political statements will address their immediate problem.

Until the EU find their teeth and use them Malta will continue to see EU nationals as cash cows of the first order.

Not withstanding this we still find the good here outweighs the frustratingly bad things.

Only one thing will force equal treatment of EU citizens - being given the vote in general elections.

it could make a significant difference... eventually

Perhaps rooikat could take legal advice? This situation is concerning as both me and lynn have chronic conditions, requiring daily treatment for life. I am following this thread with extra interest.

Thank you all for your concern and advice - we will let you know as soon as we have replies to our emails, the first to Customer Care and the second to the Schedule V Entitlement office at St Lukes

Not good news from the Schedule V offices at St Lukes

'The Schedule V card database only accepts I.D. Cards ending with a
letter M, G, L, H, A and P. Sorry for any inconvenience but this is a limitation beyond our control.'
Melanie Xerri
Pharmacy Technician
Medicines Entitlement Unit

We haven't had a reply from Nathalia yet from the Customer Care section of the EResidency department, hopefully it will be more positive....

For what it's worth that is unacceptable. If one system changes then all those connected should be modified. Time for a letter to the Minister responsible and to the ToM, Independent, Malta Today etc perhaps?

Could ask for letter to be changed to A for Alien, instead of F for foreigner maybe? Seems powers that issued at Mater Dei could resolve this perhaps?

it is indeed a disgrace that its taking the authorities so damned long to even issue a residency permit - 6 months is more than enough to get things together and start working effectively and to get them issued promptly - why is it actually taking so long to produce a simple certificate. I could understand the problem with the non EU with the biometric data side of things taking longer but this is just ridiculous and too much red tape for what it really is.  Please dont just say " well this is Malta" its wearing a bit thin now and is truly unacceptable.

Having the election would not have helped either as some would not have been prepared to invest efforts not knowing if they would (at the time) have a continuing part to play.

even so the government of the day knew in 2007 that they had to do this and they had the funds too remember - and even with the usual delays - they knew 9 months before the election that it still had to be tackled.... and who is paying for this now!!!!!!

toonarmy9752 wrote:

it is indeed a disgrace that its taking the authorities so damned long to even issue a residency permit - 6 months is more than enough to get things together and start working effectively and to get them issued promptly - why is it actually taking so long to produce a simple certificate. I could understand the problem with the non EU with the biometric data side of things taking longer but this is just ridiculous and too much red tape for what it really is.  Please dont just say " well this is Malta" its wearing a bit thin now and is truly unacceptable.

Well this is Malta!
(I hade to do it)

Terry (happy camper)

We attended the clinic today for the consultant to make out the referral documents to the V Entitlement Unit. He actually submitted electronically (with the F number) and the system accepted it! Apparently one now waits for the cards in the post. However, he did not want to raise our hopes as a British couple at the clinic had their application rejected recently even though it it was inputted successfully at clinic level. A discussion took place amongst various people in the room (I am being deliberatly vague here) and comments were passed in respect to contact with the British Embassy if unsuccessful. We got the impression that the medical profession feel embarrassed about the whole situation while they are trying to do their job.

i can believe that Rooikat - i'd guess many governmental depts are highly embarrassed at whats happening as they're in the front line taking a lot of flak for something they can do little about - sad but true.

What does each letter actually indicate?

M = Malta
G = Gozo
L = Local as in maltese citizenship gained
H = ?
A = Alien as in us (all foreigners)
P = ? might be Permanent residency
F = ?

toonarmy9752 wrote:

M = Malta
G = Gozo
L = Local as in maltese citizenship gained
H = ?
A = Alien as in us (all foreigners)
P = ? might be Permanent residency
F = ?

As I thought so why not just use the suffix A?

There must be some 'out there' with similar tales to tell or is this one unique?

F might be used by the hospital for someone who has not as yet gained the required documentation to indicate Foreigner. maybe to help claims for cash from that persons homelands health service.

havent a clue what H could be for - maybe homophobic....lol or Hopeful

i dont know

it would be easier all round if everyone from EU was just given the letter E for EUropean.

On our UK passports our 'Type' is indicated by the letter 'P'. I wonder if that was mistakenly used by the powers at Mater Dei and this is an administration SNAFU due to misinterpretation?

who knows??? the secret of the Malta magic box.

L - Maltese, registered after 2000
H - Gozitan, registered after 2000

As for the other letters, easy, check the relevant Act.......

except it doesn't define them !

M and Z are also used

May I ask if this situation has been resolved?
If so, what was the solution?
Thanks