Availability and cost of quality dog and cat food in uruguay

Hi!

We are considering moving to uruguay with our pets (cat and dog) and I was wondering what is the avaiability and cost of QUALITY dog and cat food in Uruguay?

Also, is there a possibility of getting inexpensive meat pieces,(for pet food) ?

Thanks!

Hello capibara.

I am sure that the other members will provide you some tips soon.

Thanks

Karen :)

You won't find all the brands you might be used to. Most of the better brands are imported and expensive - the one I use for my dog is Equilibrio hypoallergenic from the vet.  It is around $22.00 US for a 2Kg bag so lucky she is small.

You will also see Science diet and a few other US brands in pet stores or vets.

Most people buy bones in the supermarket and add either sweet potatoes or rice  - you can buy pet food quality rice in the pet section -there are also bags of frozen pet food meat available - I have never bought it but I have heard a lot of dogs won't eat it.
I bought bones a couple of days ago and got 3 Kg for about $5.00 US,if you go to a butcher shop, they will cut them to order. At the supermarket, they tend to be smaller pieces.

Canned dog food is rare. Cat food such as Whiskas is available but again more expensive as well as clumping kitty litter. I bought a large 20 L bag of clumping litter for about $35.00 US at a pet store.

liver is a high quality food for pets and costs less than 2 us dollars a kilo (pork liver), or about 1 dollar a pound. alone or  mixed with rice, or another grain and adding some vitamins will make a high quality and cheap food for your pets. i have 2 pets and always buy high quality food at the whole seller/importer and spend over 60 dollars a 22 kilo bag plus the travel to montevideo with the car (add another 100 dollars) i bring 10 bags + 1 free = 600 +100 = 700 for 242 kilos = $ 2,89 the kilo

with the liver + rice and own grown vegetables i am under $ 1,00 the kilo. downsides are: more work and you need to keep the liver in a freezer if you don't want to go every week to the market, but the pets are happier. you also cannot find liver each time you go to the market, so if you see it take the chance.

alex

blueberry farm / maldonado

Hi Berrypd:

Thank you for your information, very helpful.

I am wondering if it is possible to buy lamb or goat meat for dogs and or Tripe in the stores. or if there are farmers that produce these where I could buy them at the farm gate.

Whisperwind

Wenaewe (review, sort of) is an organic brand made in Uruguay but you won't find it stocked here (well, maybe in PdE) because of its cost.