GAY

I want to live in mauritius. how big is the gay community over there???

is it unlawful to have same sex marriage??

je crois qu'il n'y a pas de communautés GAY à Maurice, not yet...JE vais partir à Mauice dans quelques mois....VOUS POUVEZ m'écrire ?
sandrine

Hi sandrine

We intend to open a male/female gay night club catering only for homosexuals.

is this ok in mauriitus??? would there be discrimination???

To my knowledge, homosexuality is illegal in Mauritius, like in almost part of Africa. However, this is to be confirmed.

Hi Discreet,

Homosexuality is illegal in Mauritius and is a big taboo.

I am sorry but it will not be possible for your to open a gay bar/club here.

Take care

Melissa

We already have had a discussion about it in the french forum and a maurician citizen said homosexuality was not illegal. But it's true it is a taboo and I don't think it is realistic to open this kind of bar, unfortunately for you.

I'm a gay American expatriate living in Mauritius, so I've asked around a lot about this stuff.

Yes, there is absolutely a gay community in Mauritius. In reality, there are several different gay communities. One need only look for them. [also at least two separate gay organizations, collectif arc-en-ciel and ocean]

Also, sodomy is still technically illegal in Mauritius, which includes homosexual sex, but also includes any kind of oral sex, etc-- there is no law that singles homosexuality out. I've never heard of gays being singled out by law enforcement or anything either.

That being said, homosexuality is definitely very taboo. No one that's ever been called a 'pilon' can argue with that. But I've never had any problems going on dates or even showing casual affection to my Mauritian boyfriend in public. That could be because I'm obviously a foreigner, though.

I think opening a gay/lesbian bar would be doable, but difficult. I know I'd certainly open a tab.

why would it be difficult??  gays have rights and those rights we have fought for must not be allowed to be thrown away because it is going to be too difficult.

now, maybe we can educate the mauritian people about the benefits and advantages of being gay. maybe we can organise a mardi gras parade at xmas time.

time has changed and straight people must accept changes and move with time.

Dear Maarion

sounds a bit defeatist in your attitude?? why being gay is taboo? why is it unfortunate to  be gay? people like you must accept that the lifestyle of gays will be the predominant form of cultures in the future.

why is it not realist?? we gays have fought long and hard to get where we are and being respected.

being gay does not mean and must never mean that we must operate underground.

life is beautiful as a gay and preconceived ideas only make foolishness and prejudices thrive.

MelissaL wrote:

Hi Discreet,

Homosexuality is illegal in Mauritius and is a big taboo.

I am sorry but it will not be possible for your to open a gay bar/club here.

Take care

Melissa

Dear Melissa

you confuse me??

is it true that homosexuality is unlawful in mauritius???

where is the law that says that you can't be a gay person ?

gays have normal life and happy with their sexuality.

are you just one of those who would do everything to stop gays in sharing their lifestyle with others??

i'll be writing to the presiednt and the pm about what you have said and that is being gay is unlawful??

catherinedp wrote:

To my knowledge, homosexuality is illegal in Mauritius, like in almost part of Africa. However, this is to be confirmed.

Dear Catherine

are you anti-gay?? to your knowledge, gay is illegal?? but, is this a fact?? where is the law that says that you can be gay in mauritius.

we, gays, have been subject to violations of humnan rights and as human beings.

if what you said is true, then gays must be actively engaged in changing this stupid law, if there is one that prevents gay relationship.

this is the thing of the futuer and you must be more understanding about our rights as human beings.

i believe what you have said is wrong.

a mardi gras parade at xmas time may show people like you about the beauty of our gay culture.

nothing will prevent me from opening my gay bar and helping others to come out of their closets.

we shall overcome.

maarion wrote:

We already have had a discussion about it in the french forum and a maurician citizen said homosexuality was not illegal. But it's true it is a taboo and I don't think it is realistic to open this kind of bar, unfortunately for you.

Dear maarion

do you have any suggestion where i can open my gay bar??? can you also check whether melissa and catherine are correct in saying that gay is illegal???

it is not unfortunate for being gay.
it is not taboo being gay.
it is not unrealistic being gay.
this is the 21st century and being gay is the future.

if there are more gays, the world will be more peaceful. women will be safer. we will enjoy more life. gays are here to stay and that's why i will be spreading the good news and open the gay bar and also educate the unconverted.

I am not anti-gay at all ! I just realized coming living here that it is a very conservative country. Even for me as a women it is sometimes difficult.
Information I got about homosexuality in Mauritius comes from :

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv … /mauritius

I am not anti-gay either.
I once met a maurician gay. He told me he didn't fell really welcome in his own country and wanted to stay discreet.
Anyway, if you look for a last fight for Gay's liberty and dignity, Mauritius may be the place!

DISCREET wrote:

now, maybe we can educate the mauritian people about the benefits and advantages of being gay. maybe we can organise a mardi gras parade at xmas time.

Disclaimer: I have friends who are gay - couples who live in France ( Americans who left under Dubya but are pacsés in France) and social networkers through a Travel /Frequent Flyer Forum
IMHO and my just US$ 0.02 of advice
1. As far as the bolded part, I would suggest that you read on the island before making such comments. Check what just happened to a Pentecostal group who decided to "push the envelope" a bit too much . Yes, Stephen Covey does mention :Mauritius offers timeless insights designed to create an environment where people subordinate "mine" to "ours", and "now" to "the future", by recognizing the power of diversity." in his business marketing course BUT please don't assume that you can "educate the Mauritian people" on whatever topic you are offering. This is pretty insulting and that's why locals look at foreigners as " dirty  so and so " when they don' respect the country and its people. Try to educate the unconverted - be our guest :)

2. May be in the expat enclave or "ghetto" , showing casual affection could be the norm whether a couple is homosexual or hetero or bi BUT try to do that in any other cities or villages or public beaches and you may and will have a riot on your hand and your life may be in danger.

3. You asked for advice and three posters, who know the island and its attitudes, have relayed to you the FACTS and you dared turn around and qualified them as "anti-gay" With such an attitude of rightness , you won't go far at BOI.

4. MelissaL ,who I believe is from the island ( my apologises if i am wrong here) drew you the picture and you nearly called her a liar in not so many words

5. You threatened to write to the PM and the President to complain. Why don't you do that or didn't you  direct your enquiries there in the first place? Seems like you have an agenda and are trying to antagonize the helpful posters who volunteered to give your their perspectives on the island and homosexuality based on the realities of  living amongst the locals and their cultures and religious mores.

BTW: I have lived on the island and am familiar with its cultures, myths, religions .Talking about Human Rights how come SSM is not available  in most parts of the USA but you want to come to Mauritius to "spread the good news".

Like those who have already replied, I am not, repeat not, anti-gay or anti-homosexual but just stressing the points on when you should not have an "in your face" attitude if you want to achieve some thing and get people to help.  Remember what we say about honey and vinegar

I'm all for acceptance of individuals no matter what their Sex, race, and sexuality.  We should have no place in our communities, no matter where in the world they are, for an bias against individuals of any kind what-so-ever.

Yes, Mauritians are some of the most understanding and accepting people.  After all, they seem to have accepted each others religions so much so that they could be a model for the rest of the world. 

But trying to push your views on them is a very different thing indeed.  Making a place where they would not be welcome is essentially a cultural slap in the face to anyone.  How would you like it if they created a club where gays were not allowed in and they advertised it as such?  Likewise, how do you think they would feel with a gay only club where straights were not allowed? and how does this bode within their culture of acceptance.

In short, I can understand your argument for pushing gay rights forward (even though I'm straight) but cannot understand your idea of creating a club that is discriminates against people that aren't like you.

Instead, I would recommend creating a gay friendly club where all are welcome as long as they are not hostile to others views or sexuality.  I bet you would get a lot farther having this frame of mind and business ideals.

Also, I think being gay is not illegal but sodomy is. Although I remember reading an article suggesting they are moving towards decriminalization.  So they are becoming more open and modern with their thoughts.  But discriminating against the locals by opening a gay only club is exactly the thing you are fighting against - being discriminated against because your gay.  In any shape or form, discrimination is not a good thing so please stop promoting it.

Couple things in addition, when I say discriminate against the locals I want to make it clear that I mean those that are not gay.

I also found the mention regarding my comment about moving towards decriminalization.  It says:

"While homosexuality is currently illegal in Mauritius, the nation was one of the 66 signatories of support for the UN declaration on sexual orientation and gender identity, which failed to pass. Although this indicates that the government opposes laws against consensual homosexual acts, actions to legally decriminalize such activity have yet to be made."

As said, Maurtius is one of the good guys.  Work with them rather than against them.  They are coming around slowly but surely.

Discreet, I was trying to help you here. As far as I am aware of it is illegal in Mauritius. Sorry if I am wrong!! To be honest your reaction is very offending... I have nothing against the gay community! I have gay friends and joined gay prides more than once... hey why am I even jusifying myself?? Actually it would be a good thing for you to come here and try to change things. Good luck with that!

Feel free to write to the President and the Prime Minister to complain.

The adresses are as follows :

You can send a message to the Prime Minister through this email address:
[email protected]

Write to the Prime Minister on:
Prime Minister's Office
Intendance Street
Port Louis
Mauritius

Or you could also call him on +(230) 207-9595 / 207-9596

The President of Mauritius

State House
Le Reduit
Telephone: (230) 454-3021
Fax No. (230) 464-5370 / (230) 466-4220
Email : :[email protected]

Discreet - as a gay white Australian living on the island with my Mauritian boyfriend, I'd like to give you my 0.02rs about your proposed plans.
So do I think a gay club or bar would work here in Mauritius? Hell yes I do. Mauritius has a very big gay community on the sland and throughout the rest of the world. One of my friends from London (where my boyfriend and I used to live) jokingly said to me "why are all the Mauritians I have ever met gay?" :p haha, of course she hasn't been to Mauritius. Anyway, yes a gay bar or club would work here. It would be fantastic to have a place where we can just go and chill out, have a few beers and enjoy who we are in a public environment without being stared, yelled and discriminated against. My transgender friend was once harassed in Flic en Flac by a bunch of men and told to "stop polluting the island". Most of us here tend to instead of going out clubbing like whats common in gay culture in London and Sydney for example, hire out bungalows in Flic en Flac etc and hold our parties there - discreetly and in private. Whilst there is a market for it I believe it won't work. There are just way to many people here against us and there is just no room for it yet. Now please don't go calling me a homophobe, after all I am gay... but I just can't see this working full-time and it's because of how the people here are. Now please I don't want to offend others by my next remark, please remember my boyfriend is Mauritian and I don't live an expat life, living in a Mauritian village and having all Mauritian friends - but I find most Mauritians to be rather closed minded and sometimes out right rude - even to me being white, however more so towards my boyfriend being Hindu. Anyway this isn't about Mauritian people, but because of how their attitudes can be, I find that open gay life will just not work, hence why many gay Mauritian men do whatever they can to move overseas or live a discreet life (many married Mauritian men sleep with other guys secretly).
On the other hand, there are Mauritians who except us. My boyfriends cousin, his niece's, sister and some work friends - however that's the 'young' generation. If you look at the older generation such as my boyfriends Mum and aunties/uncles etc.. it's a different kettle of fish. Even younger generations can be rather close minded, but like everywhere in the world it depends on the person.
So discreet, come over try it and see how it goes, but I just can't see it happening as yet. Please prove me wrong though, I miss clubbing and gay culture after living in London for two years and being born and raised in Sydney - one of the biggest and open gay cities.

On a side note - there is a club in Quatre Bornes called Indigo, they hold gay nights every two months. Next one will be in April. My boyfriend and I went for his b'day in Feb and had a blast, absolutely amazing night and was great to see those rainbow flags flying high (even outside) but this is for gays and their friends only (straight) but a whole bunch of straight people can not go without other gays in the group I believe. Anyways I got a friend who is in marketing and the owners are trying to create a gay bar at the club opening on Wednesday afternoons... I guess watch this space and let's hope it eventuates.

The above is only just my opinion and what I have witnessed since living in Mauritius. I do not wish to offend so I am sorry if I do. I do love living in Mauritius and it is a great island nation however it is a small country and it is very conservative and people are still very set in their ways, it can be hard to get your head around being a westerner but even my boyfriend finds it hard living life in Mauritius.
WT.

catherinedp wrote:

I am not anti-gay at all ! I just realized coming living here that it is a very conservative country. Even for me as a women it is sometimes difficult.
Information I got about homosexuality in Mauritius comes from :

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv … /mauritius

Dear CATHERINE

In this day and age, we must be tolereant and open minded, which i am sure you are such a person.

the glass barriers have to be broken down. it must not be a taboo subject.

I intend to open 5 members only bars/clubs and some educational centres around the island.

the areas possibly would be in grand baie, portlouis at caudan, rosehill or 4bornes and curepipe.

i understand the gay community is quite large. thanks again for your contributions to my enquiries and please feel free to add anything that can enhance the understanding about us.

worldtraveller wrote:

Discreet - as a gay white Australian living on the island with my Mauritian boyfriend, I'd like to give you my 0.02rs about your proposed plans.
So do I think a gay club or bar would work here in Mauritius? Hell yes I do. Mauritius has a very big gay community on the sland and throughout the rest of the world. One of my friends from London (where my boyfriend and I used to live) jokingly said to me "why are all the Mauritians I have ever met gay?" :p haha, of course she hasn't been to Mauritius. Anyway, yes a gay bar or club would work here. It would be fantastic to have a place where we can just go and chill out, have a few beers and enjoy who we are in a public environment without being stared, yelled and discriminated against. My transgender friend was once harassed in Flic en Flac by a bunch of men and told to "stop polluting the island". Most of us here tend to instead of going out clubbing like whats common in gay culture in London and Sydney for example, hire out bungalows in Flic en Flac etc and hold our parties there - discreetly and in private. Whilst there is a market for it I believe it won't work. There are just way to many people here against us and there is just no room for it yet. Now please don't go calling me a homophobe, after all I am gay... but I just can't see this working full-time and it's because of how the people here are. Now please I don't want to offend others by my next remark, please remember my boyfriend is Mauritian and I don't live an expat life, living in a Mauritian village and having all Mauritian friends - but I find most Mauritians to be rather closed minded and sometimes out right rude - even to me being white, however more so towards my boyfriend being Hindu. Anyway this isn't about Mauritian people, but because of how their attitudes can be, I find that open gay life will just not work, hence why many gay Mauritian men do whatever they can to move overseas or live a discreet life (many married Mauritian men sleep with other guys secretly).
On the other hand, there are Mauritians who except us. My boyfriends cousin, his niece's, sister and some work friends - however that's the 'young' generation. If you look at the older generation such as my boyfriends Mum and aunties/uncles etc.. it's a different kettle of fish. Even younger generations can be rather close minded, but like everywhere in the world it depends on the person.
So discreet, come over try it and see how it goes, but I just can't see it happening as yet. Please prove me wrong though, I miss clubbing and gay culture after living in London for two years and being born and raised in Sydney - one of the biggest and open gay cities.

On a side note - there is a club in Quatre Bornes called Indigo, they hold gay nights every two months. Next one will be in April. My boyfriend and I went for his b'day in Feb and had a blast, absolutely amazing night and was great to see those rainbow flags flying high (even outside) but this is for gays and their friends only (straight) but a whole bunch of straight people can not go without other gays in the group I believe. Anyways I got a friend who is in marketing and the owners are trying to create a gay bar at the club opening on Wednesday afternoons... I guess watch this space and let's hope it eventuates.

The above is only just my opinion and what I have witnessed since living in Mauritius. I do not wish to offend so I am sorry if I do. I do love living in Mauritius and it is a great island nation however it is a small country and it is very conservative and people are still very set in their ways, it can be hard to get your head around being a westerner but even my boyfriend finds it hard living life in Mauritius.
WT.

hello

good to hear your positive comments about the gay community in mauritius which makes me more emboldened to open the 5 members only bars/clubs and some information centres to educate people about us.

i have also heard that men in mauritius do hold hands in public and also have no problems kissing each other. that's why i do not understand as to why they are saying homosexuality is a crime. if that's true, then i am afraid mauritius need more jails and hopefully, the gay crime does not attract the death penalty. jesus, we are living in the 21st century and some are still seeing homosexuality as a CRIME!!!

THANKS GOD, YOU HAVE NOT YET BEEN ARRESTED! CHEERIO AND WATCH THIS SPACE. MORE TO COME. WE NEED TO EDUCATE MORE OF THEM.

MelissaL wrote:

Discreet, I was trying to help you here. As far as I am aware of it is illegal in Mauritius. Sorry if I am wrong!! To be honest your reaction is very offending... I have nothing against the gay community! I have gay friends and joined gay prides more than once... hey why am I even jusifying myself?? Actually it would be a good thing for you to come here and try to change things. Good luck with that!

Feel free to write to the President and the Prime Minister to complain.

The adresses are as follows :

You can send a message to the Prime Minister through this email address:
[email protected]

Write to the Prime Minister on:
Prime Minister's Office
Intendance Street
Port Louis
Mauritius

Or you could also call him on +(230) 207-9595 / 207-9596

The President of Mauritius

State House
Le Reduit
Telephone: (230) 454-3021
Fax No. (230) 464-5370 / (230) 466-4220
Email : :[email protected]

Dear Melissa

my response to your valuable contribution was never intended to offend and the least from a gay guy.

maybe you are aware of the gay community in mauritius and i do not understand as to why homosexuality is still considered an underground thing.

i am opening 5 members only gay bars around the island and some information centres to educate people about us.

thanks for your invite and don't be surprised to see how many of you will be coming out of the closets.

External wrote:
DISCREET wrote:

Disclaimer: I have friends who are gay - couples who live in France ( Americans who left under Dubya but are pacsés in France) and social networkers through a Travel /Frequent Flyer Forum
IMHO and my just US$ 0.02 of advice
1. As far as the bolded part, I would suggest that you read on the island before making such comments. Check what just happened to a Pentecostal group who decided to "push the envelope" a bit too much . Yes, Stephen Covey does mention :Mauritius offers timeless insights designed to create an environment where people subordinate "mine" to "ours", and "now" to "the future", by recognizing the power of diversity." in his business marketing course BUT please don't assume that you can "educate the Mauritian people" on whatever topic you are offering. This is pretty insulting and that's why locals look at foreigners as " dirty  so and so " when they don' respect the country and its people. Try to educate the unconverted - be our guest :)

2. May be in the expat enclave or "ghetto" , showing casual affection could be the norm whether a couple is homosexual or hetero or bi BUT try to do that in any other cities or villages or public beaches and you may and will have a riot on your hand and your life may be in danger.

3. You asked for advice and three posters, who know the island and its attitudes, have relayed to you the FACTS and you dared turn around and qualified them as "anti-gay" With such an attitude of rightness , you won't go far at BOI.

4. MelissaL ,who I believe is from the island ( my apologises if i am wrong here) drew you the picture and you nearly called her a liar in not so many words

5. You threatened to write to the PM and the President to complain. Why don't you do that or didn't you  direct your enquiries there in the first place? Seems like you have an agenda and are trying to antagonize the helpful posters who volunteered to give your their perspectives on the island and homosexuality based on the realities of  living amongst the locals and their cultures and religious mores.

BTW: I have lived on the island and am familiar with its cultures, myths, religions .Talking about Human Rights how come SSM is not available  in most parts of the USA but you want to come to Mauritius to "spread the good news".

Like those who have already replied, I am not, repeat not, anti-gay or anti-homosexual but just stressing the points on when you should not have an "in your face" attitude if you want to achieve some thing and get people to help.  Remember what we say about honey and vinegar

we shall overcome all prejudices and nonsense.

you clearly misunderstood my responses. i never intended to alienate anybody in this forum.

we, gays, are here to stay whether you like it or not. i know there is some reluctance to acceptance us as mainstream.

look, being gay or homosexuality is not about anal sex. it also involves vaginal sex and more importantly, like hetereosexuality, it is about love between two consenting human beings.

the gay movement has come so far that no criticism shall stop us to more forward.

not being anti-gay, i am gald you said so. however, be more tolerant and more positive in your thinking about us. again thank you for your contribution to my enquiries.

CanadianNomad wrote:

I'm all for acceptance of individuals no matter what their Sex, race, and sexuality.  We should have no place in our communities, no matter where in the world they are, for an bias against individuals of any kind what-so-ever.

Yes, Mauritians are some of the most understanding and accepting people.  After all, they seem to have accepted each others religions so much so that they could be a model for the rest of the world. 

But trying to push your views on them is a very different thing indeed.  Making a place where they would not be welcome is essentially a cultural slap in the face to anyone.  How would you like it if they created a club where gays were not allowed in and they advertised it as such?  Likewise, how do you think they would feel with a gay only club where straights were not allowed? and how does this bode within their culture of acceptance.

In short, I can understand your argument for pushing gay rights forward (even though I'm straight) but cannot understand your idea of creating a club that is discriminates against people that aren't like you.

Instead, I would recommend creating a gay friendly club where all are welcome as long as they are not hostile to others views or sexuality.  I bet you would get a lot farther having this frame of mind and business ideals.

Also, I think being gay is not illegal but sodomy is. Although I remember reading an article suggesting they are moving towards decriminalization.  So they are becoming more open and modern with their thoughts.  But discriminating against the locals by opening a gay only club is exactly the thing you are fighting against - being discriminated against because your gay.  In any shape or form, discrimination is not a good thing so please stop promoting it.

Hello

nobody is trying to run down your throats our lifestyle. gays have rights. it is a shame if homosexuality is treated as a crime. gays are peaceful human beings and have never been hostile to you or others who cannot share our life as gays.

My gay bars shall not be of discriminatory nature. it will embrace all cultures and people of your inclinations. my bars will be open to members only regardless of your sesuality or sexual orientation.

if my bars help others to come out, so be it. don't feel threatened.

your straight lifestyle must not be seen as an antagonising factor to put us down.

again, thanks a lot for your contributions and i am sure you are not a  gay basher.

Hi Discreet,

You are contradicting yourself.  In one message you are saying the bars are gay only and yet others you are saying it is open to all "regardless of your sexuality or sexual orientation".  Which is it?  Again, my recommendation is to move forward as gay friendly rather than gay only, you will get farther as a result. You cannot fight discrimination with more discrimination.  I believe WT made several good suggestions regarding this.

Why would I feel threatened by people coming out? It doesn't effect me in the slightest. I don't care if someone is gay, lesbian, straight, trans gendered, whatever.  If they don't start problems, treat those who show respect the same respect, and they are for the betterment of the whole community and not just themselves, then they are good people in my books.

...and you're right. A straight lifestyle should not be an antagonizing factor.  Just as being gay should not be an antagonizing factor for straights.  The idea is for people to be free to be who they are and want to be.  This is our inalienable right.

Voltaire in an Essay on Tolerance wrote: “I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death, your right to say it.” In the same way, I now say "I may not be inclined towards your sexuality, but I will defend to the death, your right to be free to practice it.".

As for opening 5 bars on the island with all the same theme, I can tell from that statement you don't live here.  From a business perspective, the population here does not warrant it.  I would recommend starting with one and growing the capacity.

Completely agree with CanadianNomad!!

I have observed expats go out of thier way to help others move to Mauritius.I can see a lot of productive time is spent in answering someone who has an issuse.Just ignore that guy or next you will you have to spend your time on someone who wants to open bars for lesbians,transvestite,swingers,hooters and not to forget nude beaches.

mike1234 wrote:

I have observed expats go out of thier way to help others move to Mauritius.I can see a lot of productive time is spent in answering someone who has an issuse.Just ignore that guy or next you will you have to spend your time on someone who wants to open bars for lesbians,transvestite,swingers,hooters and not to forget nude beaches.

hello mike

we are going to invest about 1m euros in mtius. the gay bars are going to be non-discriminatory. you are most welcome and with your kind of attitude, you would benefit a lot from visiting our cultural centres once establsihed.

you may wish to know that the constitution of mauritius does protect and guarantee our freedom and existence.

CanadianNomad wrote:

Hi Discreet,

You are contradicting yourself.  In one message you are saying the bars are gay only and yet others you are saying it is open to all "regardless of your sexuality or sexual orientation".  Which is it?  Again, my recommendation is to move forward as gay friendly rather than gay only, you will get farther as a result. You cannot fight discrimination with more discrimination.  I believe WT made several good suggestions regarding this.

Why would I feel threatened by people coming out? It doesn't effect me in the slightest. I don't care if someone is gay, lesbian, straight, trans gendered, whatever.  If they don't start problems, treat those who show respect the same respect, and they are for the betterment of the whole community and not just themselves, then they are good people in my books.

...and you're right. A straight lifestyle should not be an antagonizing factor.  Just as being gay should not be an antagonizing factor for straights.  The idea is for people to be free to be who they are and want to be.  This is our inalienable right.

Voltaire in an Essay on Tolerance wrote: “I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death, your right to say it.” In the same way, I now say "I may not be inclined towards your sexuality, but I will defend to the death, your right to be free to practice it.".

As for opening 5 bars on the island with all the same theme, I can tell from that statement you don't live here.  From a business perspective, the population here does not warrant it.  I would recommend starting with one and growing the capacity.

Dear Nomad

Just to clarify. there is no contradiction. the gay bars will be non-discriminatory as they will be open to members of any sexual orientation. straights like you may apply to join so long you are comfortable with us and do not cause any inconvenience to our patrons.

you definitely sure you are not one of us???

we have done a feasibility study and found that it would be cost effective to open five rather just one. our confidentila survey has revealed that mauritius is a gay friendly island, about 20% of it popoulation are gays or have gay tendencies. some 5-10% are just waiting some assistance to come out. only 2% are sitting on the fence.

CanadianNomad wrote:

Couple things in addition, when I say discriminate against the locals I want to make it clear that I mean those that are not gay.

I also found the mention regarding my comment about moving towards decriminalization.  It says:

"While homosexuality is currently illegal in Mauritius, the nation was one of the 66 signatories of support for the UN declaration on sexual orientation and gender identity, which failed to pass. Although this indicates that the government opposes laws against consensual homosexual acts, actions to legally decriminalize such activity have yet to be made."

As said, Maurtius is one of the good guys.  Work with them rather than against them.  They are coming around slowly but surely.

this is just unbelievable! gays have to sseek permission and recognised in UN before they can express their sexual feelings.

do hetero/starights have to get permission from UN before they can have sex???

this is JUST A GROSS INJUSTICE AND THAT'S WHY WE ARE MORE KEEN TO FIGHT AND ENSURE THAT OUR RIGHTS A SHUMAN BEINGS ARE FULLY RESPECTED.

So, there is no problem.

http://www.ilemaurice-tourisme.info/pag … ge_id=1434

cuckoo77 wrote:

i have a bf here!! and we kiss, we have friends.. except that my parents are not aware i'm gay.
otherwise everything is fine.
depends how open one is!!

yes why not it's possible to have gay bars.
how many times a year, arc-en-ciel holds gay parties?! well several.. actually have those people attending or even those flirting  been arrested! not at all. did any mishap occur? none!!!!!

so why this endless useless discussion! a gay club or ba would be just like any.. str8 people would love to be there too.. those who r discrete better not comment because they will just spoil the show.

if no effort is put, mauritius wont evolve! i've dared to kiss in a five star hotel. i dont give a damn to those who had a heart attack.

you look so hot. thanks and hope to see you soon.

don't be coy and we can show th eworld hoe to party.

watch this space. rednecks and gay bashers, please abstain!

Hello to everybody [gays and non],

I have been following this discussion since a few days but din't want to intervene as it is not my problem.

But now it starts to go up to my nerves... I've had gay friends... but none so aggressive as those who created this dicussion ["Discreet", I believe].

Live your lives and leave us live ours! and if Mauritius is not very keen on gays, whatever,... the world is wide!

Please, this is a peacefull website; don't be aggressive and respect the other users of expat-blog!

This is my 2 cents worth.

Cheers
Arlette

Unfortunately I have none advise to offer to the original post of this thread, which many might have already forgotten due to the growing tension due to some more or less offensive post that have followed.

The original post was:

DISCREET wrote:

But what I can do is just simply advise the original poster to chill out a bit and run over the replies once more. So far I have never seen even one anti-gay remark and for sure everybody is trying to help out with whatever they have to offer. None of the replying posts, short of one have been offensive
>

mike1234 wrote:

<
and even that post I can understand, since even though I am new to this forums and hell, I have never even been to Mauritius yet! But some of the accusations towards the people I have learned to respect due to their incredibly positive input even make my blood run faster.

So... Discreet, take a chill pill, read all the posts once again and take it easy on the "copy and paste"-ing of the gay propoganda that you are pushing in each of your post.
I do realise that this post might offend you, but that is not my intention, what I am trying to say is that being a gay is fine, fighting for your rights is more than fine. But choosing the right wording and right attitudes is a must. Especially on a forum that is intended to help people and prepare them to the new life in a foreign country. Nobody is here to discuss religion, politics, sexual prefferences or favourite football team.

You don't have to convince anyone to accept gay (as far as I can see everybody here are open minded), if you are willing to discuss and argue, feel free to make your own forums, I think www.accept-gay-or-persih.com domain is still available.
in other words, thumbs up for Arlette's post.

Anyway, that discussion has been a good opportunity for me to improve my English vocabulary.

Feel free to correct me if I make any mistake, I am sorry, I am french.

A.T. expat wrote:

Unfortunately I have none advise to offer to the original post of this thread, which many might have already forgotten due to the growing tension due to some more or less offensive post that have followed.

The original post was:

DISCREET wrote:

But what I can do is just simply advise the original poster to chill out a bit and run over the replies once more. So far I have never seen even one anti-gay remark and for sure everybody is trying to help out with whatever they have to offer. None of the replying posts, short of one have been offensive
>

mike1234 wrote:

<
and even that post I can understand, since even though I am new to this forums and hell, I have never even been to Mauritius yet! But some of the accusations towards the people I have learned to respect due to their incredibly positive input even make my blood run faster.

So... Discreet, take a chill pill, read all the posts once again and take it easy on the "copy and paste"-ing of the gay propoganda that you are pushing in each of your post.
I do realise that this post might offend you, but that is not my intention, what I am trying to say is that being a gay is fine, fighting for your rights is more than fine. But choosing the right wording and right attitudes is a must. Especially on a forum that is intended to help people and prepare them to the new life in a foreign country. Nobody is here to discuss religion, politics, sexual prefferences or favourite football team.

You don't have to convince anyone to accept gay (as far as I can see everybody here are open minded), if you are willing to discuss and argue, feel free to make your own forums, I think www.accept-gay-or-persih.com domain is still available.
in other words, thumbs up for Arlette's post.

Hello

We have now instructed our lawyers and accountants to seek the necessary approvals with the appropriate authorities. We will apply to open at least 5 bars/clubs cum cultural/info centres. We'LL SEE HOW THINGS GO AND we'll keep you posted.

Mauritius is a beautiful island. We will be advertising soon the position of a general manager with a salary offer of not less thab 50,000 Euro plus non-cash benefits.

FeeAcer wrote:

Hello to everybody [gays and non],

I have been following this discussion since a few days but din't want to intervene as it is not my problem.

But now it starts to go up to my nerves... I've had gay friends... but none so aggressive as those who created this dicussion ["Discreet", I believe].

Live your lives and leave us live ours! and if Mauritius is not very keen on gays, whatever,... the world is wide!

Please, this is a peacefull website; don't be aggressive and respect the other users of expat-blog!

This is my 2 cents worth.

Cheers
Arlette

Hello

we are going ahead with our 5 bars/clubs cum cultural centres as planned. However, we have no plan at this stage to open a bar at TROU AUX BICHES.

Our investment consortium is also involved in charity works. we provide sheletr to battered women and comfort to disillusioned men. We are able to assist because we are mainstream and not fringe or underground.

our lawyers have been instructed to lodge the necessary applications.

Love and peace to you all and we'll see you soon.

again our thanks to you all for your valuable contributions.

I request the founder of this blog to close this post as it is all crap and waste of time at this point of time. However I will request you to reopen this post when ever this guy opens this gay club in Mauritius. I will personally congratulate his guts. Till then consider all the things posted as bull **** and close this post.

mike1234 wrote:

I request the founder of this blog to close this post as it is all crap and waste of time at this point of time. However I will request you to reopen this post when ever this guy opens this gay club in Mauritius. I will personally congratulate his guts. Till then consider all the things posted as bull **** and close this post.

Ditto on that

Looks like he is a troll who was having fun at our expense-check his info. and DOB (1931).

Closed