Should Brazil have offered asylum to Edward Snowden?

http://imguol.com/c/noticias/2013/06/10/ex-funcionario-da-cia-edward-snowden-1370874535835_300x300.jpg
I know that I'm probably get a lot of heat on this one from some Brazilians and from many of our American members as well, but I think there are some very valid points to be made and after all the whole concept of Expat-blog is to express opinions and share ideas. So if any of you have opposing opinions by all means you are more than welcome to express them too, provided of course that they don't become personal attacks. Every opinion has merit and certainly can be stated in a non-abusive way. That's all I really want to see here.

First of all if we look at recent history in the United States of America, if Snowden worked for a corporation that was breaking laws, violating human rights and not for the government of the USA itself, he would be protected by the various "whistle-blower laws" that have been enacted in order to encourage people to denounce this kind of behaviour. Just because he's doing this and the culprit is the American government should make no difference. A government can't create laws and then turn around and say they don't apply to them [government] in my opinion.

Second, many people even here in Brazil call him a traitor. I hardly would place him in that category at all. He made public the single largest peacetime spying scandal in the history of the USA, because he in good conscience could no longer be a part of it and just keep it secret. Traitor? Hardly - how can you betray somebody who is violating international laws, violating human rights and spying on soverign nations that are "supposed to be" one's allies? Simply not possible, since that person (or in this case a country) no longer deserves one's respect and loyalty. Again in my opinion. Some of the very same Brazilians who have taken to the streets all over Brazil to denounce political corruption, overspending, abuse of authority, and a host of other social injustices are even calling him a traitor. Not because Brazilians harbor any great love for the USA, but rather they're under the misguided notion that they too live in a democratic nation, when in fact it is little more than the dictatorship in disguise. They seem to ignore the fact that those who denounced illegal practices during the military dictatorship in Brazil were also called traitors and history now sees them as heroic individuals who risked everything for the good of the people. I doubt that whoever gave the information to the whereabouts of Osama Bin Landin would be considered a traitor, nor would the German officers who participated in the plot to assassinate Hitler, nor would those who helped expose Richard Nixon in the Watergate scandal. NOTE: I'm not trying to compare the President or his administration to these individuals in any way, I'm simply using these as examples so don't get me wrong. Simply put, I don't think ANYONE owes a duty of loyalty or secrecy when a government is doing something that is so patently wrong as spying on the whole world.

Brazil, its government, corporations and influential citizens according to information that has been released clearly was not spared from this spying. Instead of keeping completely silent on the whole sorry matter President Dilma Rousseff and the Brazilian Government should have come forward and strongly condemned the United States government for these highly offensive and criminal actions. Clearly this is no reflection whatsoever on the American citizens living and working here in Brazil, nor the average citizen back home in the USA. It is not, after all, the common citizen who makes or even influences government policy. Believe me, the Brazilian government is also aware of that.

When most of the other South American nations came out and spoke clearly against the USA in this matter, and the fact that some European Union nations who obviously are seen as beeing controlled by US policy, took extraordinary actions against Ivo Morales, the President of Bolivia, which after all is a sovereign nation and he is a head of state who was democratically elected to his office; Brazil did not join in their public rebuke of the US government. Brazil, under the circumstances, really should have, but simply doesn't have the intestinal fortitude for this.

Given the present state of affairs, I wouldn't be at all surprised that Ivo Morales won't make good on his promise to grant asylum to Snowden, if for no other reason just to thumb his nose at the US government for what is perceived by many as the mistreatment he received while returning from Russia in the Presidential jet. Spain and France closing their airspace to Morales was a serious breach of diplomacy and violation of international laws, which many believe were instigated by the USA. I can just imagine the diplomatic crisis that would ensue if some nation arbitrarily closed its airspace to Air Force One, God forbid all Hell would break loose.

It will be interesting to see just how this whole messy episode will play out, especially if Snowden can somehow sneak out of Russia and get to Bolivia or one of the other South American nations who have committed themselves to grant him asylum. I doubt that the USA would be so foolish as to try to remove him from any country by force and spirit him back to the USA, but nothing is surprising anymore.

Should Brazil have offered him asylum, I believe yes. Having said that, I know it would never happen because Snowden hasn't murdered anyone, he's not an international terrorist, nor is he a crooked high ranking government leader, or a train robber or war criminal. The likes of Josef Mengele, Ronnie Biggs, Cesare Battisti and Michael Misick are welcomed here in Brazil with open arms and protected, but someone who lets the cat out of the bag on what could possibly be one of the biggest peacetime scandals in history doesn't stand a snowball's chance on a hot Amazon afternoon.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I won't give you heat, but I will agree to disagree with you. :) And he wouldn't last one day in the Amazon. I hear he is going to Venezuela, good luck with that! Hahaha

Hi Matt,

Perhaps you could expand a bit and at least express your opinion. It would be good to see what the average American citizen feels about this subject. Surely you can express you point of view.

While I might be persuaded that the USA could be justified in spying on known terrorist nations or terrorist supporting nations, that assumes that the rest of the world must accept the USA's definition of what a terrorist or a supporter is. Not so sure if that's such a hot idea to begin with.

If the whole purpose of this exercise is to help ensure "national security" as the USA always claims, then what is the logic, motivation and justification to spying on peaceful, allied nations? What possible reasons would the US government have for spying on Brazil, its government and citizens? We don't have terrorism here, Brazilians aren't spreading all over the world to commit terrorist acts and we have close economic and social ties with the USA.

While you might convince me that the USA is justified in spying on countries like Iran, Iraq, Siria, Jordan, Afghanistan, etc., you're really going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to convince me there is any valid reason, or even necessity to spy on Brazil.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif

He is not worth my time. His own father has called him a traitor. I don't really think about this subject much. Sorry. In my opinion he is a traitor, and should be tried as a spy. But I don't care. I have nothing to hide.

Ok, I can accept that. Hope to hear from you again soon my friend.... take care.

Hi William

Just wanted to say I agree with you. I was outraged to hear that the U.S. was spying not only on foreign countries which they consider and call "allies" and whom have never given them reason to not trust, but also, and perhaps even more enraging was to discover that they were spying on their OWN PEOPLE, their OWN CITIZENS, INCLUDING ones who have NEVER given ANY cause for the goverment to consider them a threat. For example, this that I am writing AT THIS VERY MINUTE is now going to be stored somewhere in some "FILE" about ME.

What IRKS me MOST about the U.S. Government doing this is not so much that they have DONE it and CONTINUE to do it, whereas I also fee that if you have nothing to hide it really doesn't matter WHO sees it, BUT that they HID it from their own citizens, most of all, especially with Obama having said his government would be the "most TRANSPARENT" of all (Ha! THAT's a laugh!), WHILE they put on so many AIRS with OTHER countries around the world about human rights and invasion of privacy. After all, even with basis of fighting terrorism, what difference is there between what the U.S. is doing and, for example, the Sovient Union's Secret Police?? Answer: NOT MUCH. On Obama's last trip to Germany, many Germans who were interviewed even SAID that the knowledge of what Obama and the U.S. werre doing made them "cringe" with memories of that part of their history.

However, while I do not consider Snowden a "traitor", necessarily, I also feel he went about things the wrong way. He has turned this into an WORLDWIDE UPHEAVAL by skipping to Hong KONG, the  to Russia and now we can only guess where he'll go, turning this into an international hop-scotch which has become almost COMICAL as the newscasters stand there and show his supposed proposed flight route, avoiding THIS country and flying over THAT country, going through a hundred hoops just to get from point A to point B, his "final destination" if in fact it does turn out to be Venezuela. I feel instead he should have reported what he knew to some newsstation like CNN and then stuck aroung courageously to "pay the piper". Not run and hide. I also think it wrong for him to CONTINUE to spill the beans and make public even more "secrets," I feel he made his point, and it's not necessary to say any more.

Lastly, I'd like to say that, ULTIMATELY, I find it IRONIC, if nothing else, that he supposedly did this because HE was OUTRAGED that the U.S. Government was invading innocent people's privacy, YET he is considering asylum WHERE?? In countries where human rights are violated everyday. So what;s the LOGIC in THAT...??? Which leads me to really wonder what his motivations were and are.

So, in response to your ORIGINAL question of whether BRAZIL should have offered him asylum, I guess my answer in NO. I actually even cringed when I heard Brazil being named among the countries who HAD. And mostly because of what I said that I feel he really did go about it the wrong way, and becasue of that, my intial admiration of him quickly started to wane. After all, if he did it because he was a "courageous whistle blower," then where's all his "courage" NOW??

Hi lacret60,

Well at least here in Brazil we don't have to worry about asylum or any potential fallout since Snowden didn't murder anybody, he's not a convicted terrorist, or a war criminal, corrupt politician who has stollen millions from the public coffers nor has he ever to my knowledge robbed a payroll train.

Brazil seems to give asylum only to people like Josef Mengele, Ronnie Biggs, Cesare Battisti, Michael Misick and their ilk. Snowden doesn't stand a chance of ending up here.

Here is my two cents... I do not condone the actions of my government. And I am very annoyed with it in fact for sponsoring such actions. It portrays my country as a country similar to China or in fact Venezuela. However, I hold a security clearance in my country that took me 2 years to obtain and 4 years of military service to prove my loyalty to my country. Therefor, right or wrong it is unacceptable. This entire event has turned out to be another liberal scandal. And the media is only giving more attention to the idiot that exposed the information instead of focusing on the government that committed the scandal. His flight path to VZ will be very interesting because the EU or any other US allie will ground the flight the moment it enters US allie airspace. Regardless everyone here is wrong (US and the traitor). While I have nothing to hide, the constitution is priority.

Yes I remember that infamous train robbery case distinctly, William, and even saw the guy interviewed on some news show many years back. But, yes, I certainly see your sad but true point about to what TYPE of "criminals" Brazil gives asylum. But because I feel so strongly about the fact that Snowden handled the whole thing wrong AFTER divulging what he divulged and CONTINUES to handle it wrong, for that fact alone ia that, whatever Brazil's reason for NOT offering him asylum, I'm glad tjey did not. He should just come home and face what he should face with courage, instead of running and hiding for the rest of his life. All he's saying is that what he did was WRONG by acting this way. The U.S. Government doesn't have to say it FOR him, he's saying it HIMSELF. So, I say, COME HOME, Mr. Snowden! And face the music that you yourself started playing. After all, when you truly feel you're in the RIGHT, that's all that matters. So why run?? And ESPECIALLY why HIDE??

And, glad you decided you had the time to chime in with your "two cents" mattvillemure!

Amen sister. Hahahaha

Hi lacret60,

What he did was wrong? How can that possibly be? If he divulged the wrongdoings and illegal actions of a major corporation he'd be protected by American "wistle-blower laws". He'd be lauded as a civic minded citizen who wanted to protect the public from some nasty corporation.

Just because he spilled the beans on his government is absolutely no different. He did the whole world a service by unmasking the US government and its unjustifiable spying on the whole world. The wrong doer is the government, through the NSA and CIA.

While one might be able to justify spying on a country that is your enemy, known for terrorists or supporting them, even that stretches a government's credibility. However, blatantly spying on supposedly allied countries that have never given any reason and have been strong friends is simply unconscionable. Anyone who speaks out against such action and denounces it is a HERO in my books, certainly not a traitor. A traitor is one who betrays someone worthy of respect and loyalty. After this incident I'm sure there's no question that the USA does not fit that decription at all.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that the USA has also been spying on the Canadian government and private citizens for all this time too. A country we've always been a good neighbor to, lived in harmony with since 1812 with such little respect for us and our nation to be spying on us too. Canada and European Union nations are so economically dependent on the USA that none of them have the balls to speak out and complain, EU countries have shown they are little more than puppets for the USA by closing their airspace to President Ivo Morales' aircraft because the US government "thought" Snowden was onboard. Action probably either ordered by the USA or at least taken in order to suck up to them. South American countries who aren't so closely tied to the USA and have gotten the shaft through Trade Agreements like FTAA aren't so enamored by the country and are much more vocal in their condemnation, as all countries should be.

I respect your opinion and Matt's, I understand that as Americans you will also consider Snowden as a traitor, more out of your sense of national pride and sense of duty than for any other reason. I also know that the average American has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this mess and it should not reflect badly on expats anywhere, unfortunately in some countries it obviously will. What I have posted here is not to try and change anyone's opinion or shoot down their valid points, but rather just to say that I don't share that opinion and show the other side of the coin too. I'm ashamed of my country (CANADA) since they have said absolutely nothing about this incident and I feel that their silence is essentially condoning this unjustified spying on the part of the US government.

Hi Matt,

A agree with you, that it portrays the US government in an extremely poor light. Certainly the impact worldwide would have been far less had they limited their spying on so-called terrorist countries. I think that would have been easier for the rest of the world to swallow.

Unfortunately that is not the case, the US government spies on it's "friends" too, and that's going to have long term fallout such as the loss of credibility and loss of respect it is going to suffer on the world stage. It's hard to respect someone (in this case a government) who demonstrates clearly by their actions that they don't respect you. I don't know if the US government simply doesn't grasp this very basic concept or if they just think that they're so powerful and omnipotent they just don't give a damn about the rest of the world or what they think.

Like the old saying goes..... "With friends like that, who needs enemies?"

He turned over classified info to foreign governments.  If you don't think that is treason, then you need a new dictionary.

My dear friend, William

You misundertsood what I said completely. My opinion was (and IS) the exact opposite of what you understood. I do NOT believe what Snowden did was WRONG. Not at ALL. I always support and applaud whistle blowers because I do believe they are courageous and would even like to think that it would be something I would do MYSELF, and believe it IS. What I SAID, or MEANT TO SAY, is that by his RUNNING and HIDING the way he has been and continues to, he is portraying HIMSELF as someone who BELIEVES he has done something WRONG, so that, BECAUSE of how he is ACTING HIMSELF, the U.S. doesn't even have to say what he did was "wrong" because, in essence, via his running and hiding, he is saying it HIMSELF. And I find that sad because he DID NOT do anything wrong. BUT that it is because of this running and hiding that my support of him has waned. That's why I said to him to COME HOME and courageously face the music, whatever it may be, because when one feels they are RIGHT in their actions, as I believe he did when he decided to blow the whistle, one should not fear the consequences, that;s all. Because whe  one feels one is right and JUST, the consequences WANE in the face of the TRUE JUSTICE of the actions we decided to take.

I truly hope I explained myself more clearly this time. Please let me know if not, because not only do I not want you to think my opinion is one when it is the complete opposite, but because I highly applaud whistle blowers. I'm just saying that his behavior SINCE THEN, in my opinion, has been more that of a coward than one of someone with the courage it takes to do exactly what he did. And that's what I find confusing and has even led me to question his motives, that's all.

mugtech, there is "treason" to our government. and that is the one you are undoubtedly referring to, but there is a WORSE and EVEN HIGHER "treason," and that is one to our own CONSCIENCE and sense of RIGHT and WRONG. And the LATTER should ALWAYS take PRECEDENCE over the OTHER. ALWAYS. And THAT is what Snowden did.

lacret60 wrote:

mugtech, there is "treason" to our government. and that is the one you are undoubtedly referring to, but there is a WORSE and EVEN HIGHER "treason," and that is one to our own CONSCIENCE and sense of RIGHT and WRONG. And the LATTER should ALWAYS take PRECEDENCE over the OTHER. ALWAYS. And THAT is what Snowden did.

Well said! Treason to a government that is violating international laws, for whatever reason they wish to give, is hardly as serious as the treason to all of mankind that Snowden would have been committing had he not denounced the spying operation.

My dictionary is quite fine thankyou very much mugtech. I just don't happen to agree with you that what Snowden did falls anywhere near your narrow definition of treason.

If we extrapolate mugtech's theory then Claus von Stauffenberg and all the others like him were traitors because they supported the assassination attempts to get rid of Hitler. While they may have been traitors to the Fuhrer and Third Reich they certainly were NOT traitors to mankind. While by your standards Snowden committed treason, by mine he didn't. He did what he believed conscience bound to do for the greater good.

You have the right to your own opinion mugtech, I respect that, but I don't have to share it, nor does anyone else. One man's traitor is another man's hero.

As I said - The US government (specifically the Obama administration) is guilty of treason too. There are so many scandals here right now I can't even keep track. I don't care who or what country, it is unacceptable - that goes for Iran and Syria too. But rest assured other countries are doing the same thing to us. This is just the way the game is played. If anyone thinks their country does not partake in espionage that scares me.

:)

My God! No matter how hard I try to GET AWAY from this topic, it keeps PULLING ME BACK! LOL!

mattvillemure wrote: "...I don't care who or what country, it is unacceptable - that goes for Iran and Syria too. But rest assured other countries are doing the same thing to us. This is just the way the game is played."

mattvillemure, I can't tell by your comment if you're saying it's WRONG to spy, EVEN THOUGH "other countries are doing the same thing"...OR...if you're saying, even though it's wrong, it's OK, BECAUSE "other countries are doing the same thing to us. That is just the way the game is played."

before I comment on what I THINK you meant, I'd rather not make assumptions. Sonplease clarify if you can. :)

I keep getting pulled back in too! Kkkkkk

Spying is a necessary evil. It is a known fact the US spies on the UK and vice versa. There is a difference between spying and violating the constitutional rights of Americans. I don't have anything against us spying on other countries (enemies or allies) because I know we are constantly being spied on too - it's just the way the game is played.

I do have a problem with my government violating my privacy. That is unconstitutional.

As far is twinkle toes in Russia right now causing a media circus. I don't think him exposing the fact my government was monitoring my calls etc. is wrong. However he went too far. He made his point but instead he continued to create more controversy by revealing secrets about how we obtain intelligence information from other countries. He knew what he was doing was illegal but chose to do it anyways. Now he needs to face the music.

And the NSA and Obama administration do too.

Ok, now I understand what you were saying in your previous comment, and maybe we can finally put this one to bed. Or maybe not...

I don't necessarily agree that just because "everyone else is doing it" it makes it necessarily right to do it ourselves, but, at the same time, I guess I agree with your calling it a "necessary evil," as, while in an ideal world, it would be great to simply trust other countries just because they shake hands with us for photo ops, and just because that country has NEVER given us reason to NOT trust them. But, even though I AM an idealist, i believe we can't be that naive, especially when there is SO much at stake and, moreso it becomes a "necessary evil", unfortunately, when, as you said, OTHER countrues, even allies, ARE spying on US. AND another reason it is a necessary evil is because of the instability of some of these so-called allies who are here today and gone tomorrow, like in Egypt.

But, as you said again, it is a WHOLE 'NOTHER BALLGAME when countries spy on THEIR OWN CITIZENS, ones who have NEVER given cause to be spied on, feared, doubted or distrusted! And THAT is why I supported Snowden as a whistle blower, until he started running and hiding as if he had done something wrong AND especially until he started divulging more and MORE "secrets". What was the POINT of THAT?? His POINT had already BEEN MADE. So, I applauded Russia and Putin when (and although I do NOT feel he should be given asylum, but, instead, COME HOME and COURAGEOUSLY face the music that, as I said before, HE HIMSELF started playing), as their REQUIREMENT to his asylum, they at LEAST demanded what NO OTHER COUNTRY demanded which was that he promise NOT to divulge anything more. And that was why Snowden did NOT accept their offer at first and immediately. But NOW, all this time later, he ACCEPTS IT, but ADDING that, yes, he "promised" to not divulge anything more...HOWEVER, conveniently, we find out now that he had ALREADY divulged MANY MORE "secrets" (and ALL HE HAD, he said, I feel, glibly) to some news agency (whose name escapes me at the moment), and that THEY would, in turn, "divulge" MORE secrets, little by little, and in their own timeline! Oh yeah? How convenient. So as I see it that's what he was doing all this time he was in hiding, especially after knowing of Russia's "requirement" so he gets the benefit of asylum while seemingly agreeing to that requirement, but having divulged ALL the secrets he had to divulge ALREADY. In other words, playing it safe and getting the benefit of both.

So, did he do this for monetary gain, as he was so quick to point out last night after "reappearing" suddenly in Russia and on TV that he had NOT? NO, he didn't do it for monetary gain, it seems. I agree. But then...WHAT THE HECK WAS, and better yet, IS his MOTIVE then?? I THOUGHT it was to do the right thing but now I'm wondering. That's what's boggling my mind and having my initial and emphatic and wholehearted support of him wane. When I truly did NOT want it to wane! Because I THOUGHT the POINT was to let the American citizens KNOW that THEYere being SPIED on by their OWN democratic government, and WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE or CONSENT, a goverment who is SUPPOSED to be above that type of behavior. At least that's what they always profess to US as well as to countries AROUND THE WORLD. And ESPECIALLY coming from an Administration who PROMSIED THEMSELVES TO BE, and TOUTED THEMSELVES as, the MOST TRANSPARENT Administration YET, it is even MORE SHOCKING, OFFENSIVE, ENRAGING, ABSURD and UNACCEPTABLE.

Insofar as the OTHER countries go, they should have their 5 minutes of ACTING peaved and indignant as if they don't do it themselves, and as I saw them doing last night on the news that several Latin Amercian countries had all gathered to discuss the U.S.'s violations. But as the camera panned the room and they showed, among others, Brazil's president as well as the ridiculous buffoon and Chavez-Wannabe, Maduro of Venezuela, I became enraged even more and wished they could have heard me say to the TV, "Go ahead and have your little hissy-fits, but, better yet, why don't you all go home and tend to YOUR OWN COUNTRY and YOUR OWN PEOPLE and FIX the MANY problems that EXIST there!" Because, even if they had NEVER spied on the U.S., it makes me mad to just THINK of all the injustices that they seem to NEVER have time for regarding the lives and well-being of their OWN PEOPLE, but seem to always have time to point the finger elsewhere about "injustices and wrong-doing." And I VERY, VERY, VERY MUCH include the U.S. in that!!!1! Because the U.S. spends more time and money FINGER-POINTING and "resolving" other countries "problems" while it NEVER seems to have the time or money for ITS OWN.

Just thought I would re-open this discussion with this article. Anybody else tired of hearing about him? Anyone else think he has gone too far at this point? Anyone else wondering why Brazil insists on granting asylum to international fugitives? Anyone else think the US should start giving asylum to Brazilian fugitives who commit horrific crimes in Brazil, and Brazil demand back into their custody?

http://www.ibtimes.com/president-dilma- … tleblowers

usmc_mv wrote:

Now he needs to face the music.

And the Bush Administration, the original perps.

usmc_mv wrote:

Just thought I would re-open this discussion with this article. Anybody else tired of hearing about him? Anyone else think he has gone too far at this point? Anyone else wondering why Brazil insists on granting asylum to international fugitives? Anyone else think the US should start giving asylum to Brazilian fugitives who commit horrific crimes in Brazil, and Brazil demand back into their custody?

Yes, Yes, Yes, no

If the USA starts harboring fugitives from Brazil, then we are doing the same thing which we claim is wrong, a very grade school approach.  The USA usually has a more  "hit them with your wallet" approach.  If Snowden winds up in Brazil, I am all for boycotting the world cup and the Olympics scheduled for Brazil.  Those would be the consequences referred to in the last line of the above article.

mugtech wrote:
usmc_mv wrote:

Now he needs to face the music.

And the Bush Administration, the original perps.

You need to get over your grudge over the Bush administration. He has been gone for 5 years. Get over it! Obama knew what was going on, so if he is your savior and saint then he should have stopped it. It is exhausting listening to people blame Bush for Obamas mistakes - he is out of office! Move on!

POXA!

mugtech wrote:
usmc_mv wrote:

Yes, Yes, Yes, no

If the USA starts harboring fugitives from Brazil, then we are doing the same thing which we claim is wrong, a very grade school approach.  The USA usually has a more  "hit them with your wallet" approach.  If Snowden winds up in Brazil, I am all for boycotting the world cup and the Olympics scheduled for Brazil.  Those would be the consequences referred to in the last line of the above article.

Clearly the US would never do that, because we do not want the scum from Brazil in the US. We have enough homegrown scum as it is. It was a figure of speech, obviously! I think the only country we would not deport to due to a criminal act against the state is Russia - and that is because they do the same to us, as perfectly demonstrated in the case of Snowden. That isn't a grade school approach that is called the game of espionage, something the entire world needs to get a grip on. It happens to every nation on the earth. It is a fact of life.

usmc_mv wrote:

you need to get over your grudge over the Bush administration.  Obama knew what was going on, so if he is your savior and saint then he should have stopped it.

My savior and saint?  I am a Christian.  Do you actually think that anything that happened 5 years ago has nothing to do with today?  Is it ok when discussing immigration reform to mention any policy more than 5 years old?  It is most usual to trace evil items back to their origins.

Well, with that twisted approach we can probably blame Bill Clinton for 9/11 due to the distractions (impeachment proceedings) at the time when he could have delivered a significant blow to Al Qaeda by killing OBL (instead of getting a blow from Monica) when he had the chance - or at least educating the American people about the existence of said group and perpetrator.

Do you think the only president in the United States to authorize water boarding was a Republican/Conservative? Because if you do, you need to do some more research.

The bottom line is you can blame who ever you want based on who you stand with politically and I can tell which side of the aisle you stand on and you can tell which side of the aisle I stand on. It doesn't change the fact that it is still a problem and very little is being done to fix it. We dwell too much on the past instead of steering our future in the right direction.

I hear what you are saying, I am more of a libertarian than involved in the liberal-conservative war.  It does not help to dwell on the past, but then again, those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.  It is true that solutions are required, not finger pointing.  The current government is failing miserably, but saying that changes nothing.

Fellow expats,
Worry less please! ...  :D

It has been announced that ....

And the Nobel Peace Prize Goes to… Edward Snowden!
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nobel-pea … 00752.html:top:

John C. wrote:

Traitor nominated by Norwegian Socialists, big deal
USA politics proves that anyone can be nominated for anything, but what are the end results?

Guys,

I realize this is a public forum but seriously. I have been in 3 wars 1 of which Brazil provided troops. I would ask for a little respect considering the 47 friends I knew only 33 live today. I really would like this topic closed.

mugtech wrote:
John C. wrote:

Traitor nominated by Norwegian Socialists, big deal
USA politics proves that anyone can be nominated for anything, but what are the end results?

Thank you for explaining your position.
At my end, I consider a traitor, somebody who reveals top-secret information to enemy (or enemies) for cash.
Yes, you are correct, Norwegian socialists suggested Snowden to the panel of the Noble Foundation but only the panel decided.  (On anther note, Snowden has also been nominated a Director in the Board of Freedom Of Press organization a week or so ago).
Snowden has also been invited to speak to Germany's parliament, something which does not happen often to all the people.
Brazil's President cancelled her visit to USA as a result.
Even with Obama, there are now revised policies on national surveillance issues in place which have been negotiated with the Internet industry giants.
To me, these are extraordinary facts, and I consider Showden a whistle-blower who considered useful for the world to know what goes on.  He did not do it for his wallet to fatten.

We all knew that espionage exists (from industrial to politics to war) without Snowden's revelations.

My post was in no way meant to antagonize any of you or to engage in endless talk.
I just saw the topic and thought I'd let you know right away for better or worse.

One can be a traitor without receiving any money.

usmc_mv wrote:

Guys,

I realize this is a public forum but seriously. I have been in 3 wars 1 of which Brazil provided troops. I would ask for a little respect considering the 47 friends I knew only 33 live today. I really would like this topic closed.

Yes, this is a public forum.
We do not discuss politics here.
Just like you Matt defend your compatriots, many of my school mates (1959 - 1973) are dead in the fight against communism in Romania, many have been in jail because of their subversive activities to help the world get rid of the artificial society we have been forced to live in, and many Romanians died.  Millions of them.
If we had not fought, the world today would have been socialist now.

I have no more to say, and if the thread is closed or not, news about Snowden will continue evolving.  Life goes on. Happy week-end.

mugtech wrote:

One can be a traitor without receiving any money.

Yes, I agree with you.
In Romania they were called 'informants'.
They will keep an eye on you and if they see you bought a car, they will inform Police.
From then on, you will be under watch, and after six months you get a visit from Police to "invite" you to their headquarters where interrogations begin.
You had to prove your income which was illegal on all fronts.
Jail, immigration (mostly to USA) for those who could, and many forms of escapism happened as a result of this indoctrination socialist-turning-communism.

In the meantime, the informants were getting coupons to buy groceries at the state shops designed for socialist party members ...
I am glad I am alive and I wonder why when most of my friends are gone.  :unsure

What is the connection between your war experiences and the post reference Snowden?

Funny how since he spilled the beans on a government he's called a "TRAITOR", yet if he denounced a multinational corporation or anybody else for wrongdoings he'd be classified as a "WHISTLE BLOWER" and be protected by US laws up the wazzuuuuuuu. Guess it's just crock.

wjwoodward wrote:

Funny how since he spilled the beans on a government he's called a "TRAITOR", yet if he denounced a multinational corporation or anybody else for wrongdoings he'd be classified as a "WHISTLE BLOWER" and be protected by US laws up the wazzuuuuuuu. Guess it's just crock.

He did both, he is a whistle blower and a traitor.  The whistle blowing part does not negate the fact that he gave classified info to other countries.  Its not that complex.

wjwoodward wrote:

OK, I'll finally jump in.  I do consider Snowden a traitor.  But for me, I differentiate his actions.  I think it was totally proper for him to expose the U.S. spy activities on U.S. citizens (and no way do I believe the Obama Administration was the first).  That's a clear violation of the U.S. Constitution and most Americans (regardless of political persuasion) probably would have supported Snowden if he had stopped there.  But he crossed the line when he exposed U.S. spying on other nations AND provided detailed information about the NSA intelligence program (with no regard for the effect of his actions on legitimate U.S. spy activity or operations).  The bottom line is that he exposed classified information to foreign nations and for that he is a TRAITOR.

Snowden claims he did it to protect liberty and freedom, but yet he goes to Hong Kong and Russia for asylum.  Do you really think he didn't have to share info in exchange?  If Snowden truly believed his actions were correct or justified, he would return to the U.S. and face his charges like a man.

By the way, do you really think that Brazil hasn't spied on the U.S. or other nations considered allies? 
And, as for your original question, NO Brazil should not have offered asylum to Snowden.

I personally would never consider Snowden or anyone else who did what he did a traitor and I know this offends the American sense of pride and country. However every human being has two separate and distinct loyalties, a loyalty to his/her country and a loyalty to mankind in general. I don't think that anyone can come up with a convincing arguement against the fact that one's loyalty to mankind is (and must be) in all instances superior to one's loyalty to any country.... sorry about that, you'll not find a believer in me!

Snowden followed his conscience and obeyed his loyalty to mankind. He did so out of principles and didn't do it for money. In my books he's a hero and not a traitor. Spying on one's enemies is one thing and I think we all accept that a certain amount of it is absolutely necessary. Spying on one's allies or citizens or companies of allied countries is something else entirely. It is DEAD WRONG, no matter who is doing it, the USA, Canada, Brazil, France or the UK.

You point out that the US spying on US citizens is wrong because it violates the US Constitution, I would ask you then to explain if you can, how spying on citizens of any other country could be any less wrong? It is absolutely the same thing, it is a violation of basic human rights to privacy in my personal opinion.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Closed