Wanting to move to DR

Can anybody tell me what opportunities exist for Canadians who want to move to DR and work. Is that possible?

Welcome to the forum.  In short, yes their are opportunities!  But, who knows if they are for you.   It depends on your skills and experience, your language(s),  where you want to reside and how much  $ you need to earn or want to earn.

Jobs are almost impossible to get until you are actually here. And the gov't is cracking down on  foreigners working illegally.  It is pretty simple to become legal, costs between  US 800 and US 1500 depending how you do it. 

So, tell us more about you and maybe we can help. Also read the other forum threads.  Many of your questions will be covered there!

Welcome to the forum.

A word of advice,before doing anything about moving or working here you need to come and spend a few months here just looking around. Especially if you have not been here before or have only been here for a vacation at a resort.  It is totally different living here.

Bob K

Bob is so correct. The culture shock of living here is more then some people can handle. They spend a lot of time and money moving here, trying to adjust.  Then they spend a lot of time and money moving back!!!! 

It is not for everyone. The only way you will find out if it is for you is a trial run!  Come here for several months.  You need enough savings to get you thru 6 months here,  then you will have a great idea if this is for you!

So tell us more about you!

Planner, this is going to sound like a silly question, but do I have to be on Dominican soil the entire length of time when my residencia is being processed? Can I start the process and still be back in the U.S. or another country while my residencia is worked on? I would much rather get the residencia first while working in the U.S. and then move and get the job once it is processed, is this possible? Thanks.  How long before you must renew the residencia?

No you only have to be here to apply and again to pick up the cards as they will take your photo and fingerprint you then. 

The process from applying to getting your cards  will take a few months.

Bob K

Thanks Bob. Do you have a lawyer in your area which you could reccomend? Perhaps I can write to him to find out how much it will cost, and what documents I will need in order to start the process. Thanks again. Have a great trip.  If you do not. Wish to put his info out here in the public forum, you can PM me. Thanks.

I sent you a PM

Bob K

Thanks Bob. Got the message. I will send  her a email, much appreciated :-)

You are welcome.  Sometimes it may take her a day to so to answer new emails

Let me know if any problems and I will be happy to call her for you

Bob K

Bob you are awesome and of course correct!

Thank you from sunny Prague. 

Bob K

You are welcome from Dripping DR!!!

Feel free to post her name and contact information!

Does she specialize in residency acquisition and problems?

Bob K

Thanks Mike,  good question Bob.  Also Mike ask her to add herself to our database of service providers for the DR.

The lawyer I recommended does about 75% or more of her work in residency and related problems.

Bob K

fine bob you know everything. I am sorry I even joined this crap. We do not need you people in the DR

Hey guys, lets step back just a bit.  Bob not all lawyers need to specialize in fact so few actually do.  While you may have had great experiences with your lawyer this person may not be right for everyone and certainly is not the only game in town.

Ptopta,  we all need choices. Please feel free to keep your daughters contact information here.  Not everyone has the same needs or connects the same with everyone.

Wow I was just making a statement and not saying she was perfect for everyone. Just that this is what she mainly did.

If you owned a Volvo car and there was a mechanic that specialized in Volvo repairs would you not like to know that. If you used him or not does not matter, but nice to have information.

Did not mean to offend anyone.

Bob K

Hello guys!

Did we missed something here :/

Please feel free to report us any inappropriate messages on the forum.

You can also Contact us so that we may together find a solution.

Thanks

Karen
Expat.com Team.

No worries Karen, I handled things.  We will let you know if help is needed. Thanks hon.

I am a retired U S Army male tired of spinning my wheels in the mud here in the US. I would like to visit the DR and consider making it my home. Can you help me plan my start.

Alphonso51

Alphonso51 welcome to the forum. 

Probably the best way to get started on "searching" for a new home is to come down and visit for a month or two and explore the country. It is a big country, bigger than most folks thing, and offers lots of different areas to consider.  There are beach towns, tourist areas, cities, mountains, rural farm areas, desserts, and on and on.

Many of us that made the move are very happy here and  others not so much and many find it different that what they expected and can accept and move on.

So the bottom line is come spend a few months and see if it "fits" for you.  We have been here going on 8 years and have not looked back for a second.

Bob K

Welcome!!!! I agree with Bob! Have you been here before?  How many times and for how long? do you need to work?  What things are important in your life?

For some of us (me included) this is paradiase, for others, not so much.  One of the main considerations is if you can  compromise, accommodate and generally adapt! It makes it so much easier if you can............LOL

I've live on the north coast and in Santo Domingo, one extreme to the other.  I love both places......  Some love Punta Cana, others love it up in the mountains.......  it is all about personal preferences.

Tell us more!

i couldnt follow the tension from reading this i must have missed something.  i didnt get it

The iz monsta wrote:

i couldnt follow the tension from reading this i must have missed something.  i didnt get it

Everything is fine, nothing to discuss.  we handled it like adults on this forum.....