Tons of Questions Regarding Our Move to Kuwait

Hello Everyone,

I am so happy to have found this forum. My family and I will be moving to Kuwait in August, my husband and my 14 month old from Atlanta, GA. We are really excited, however, I have TONS of questions that I am hoping aren't annoying for you and that you can address for me. Please forgive me in advance for so many questions.

Okay, here are my questions:

1. My husband and I currently have iPhones. Can we use iPhones in Kuwait? If not, what is the best cell phone service that will allow us to talk to our family back in the US?

2. Is there a lot of crime in Kuwait? What are the best cities to live in Kuwait? My hubby will be working in Kuwait City.

3. What are the best supermarkets in Kuwait? Does Kuwait offer organic foods? I saw a YouTube video where a rat was in one of the grocery stores there and it freaked me out a little.

4. I was reading on a Kuwait blog that it is best to get a nanny from an agency because you can get arrested if a nanny is found in your home that is already sponsored. So, what are some great nanny agencies?

5. What fun things are there for children to do in Kuwait? Does Kuwait have play areas for children and/or bouncy places?

6. I enjoy working out, does Kuwait have nice workout facilities that host classes etc? If so, what are the names and part of town where these gyms are located?

7. What are the best malls in Kuwait? Does Kuwait have Mac stores where if I needed to purchase a Mac computer I could?

8. What type of banks do Kuwait have where I could transfer monies from that bank to our bank in the US?

9. Can I use my US debit cards in Kuwait?

10. I've read on several blogs that Dubai, Paris, Spain etc have cheap flights from Kuwait, do you know about how much these flights cost?

11. What exactly is the dress code for women and children in Kuwait? Can I wear shorts and sundresses? Can my 14 month old daughter where shorts etc?

12. If I were to purchase items online, how long would it take to arrive to Kuwait?

13. What types of things should I pack for Kuwait? Meaning, should I stock up on all of our medicines and lotions? (Toddler prescription medicine, tylenol, benadryl, etc.) Should I pack diapers, sippy cups, etc?

14. I know Kuwait has American restaurants. Does Kuwait have Target or Walmart?

15. Is it okay for women to go about alone? I am asking because while my husband is at work, I would like to take my daughter to certain places, etc.

16. I've heard horror stories about the driving in Kuwait. Is it that there is no car seat and/or seat belt law there? I really want my 14 month old in a car seat? Should I bring my own or can I purchase one from Kuwait?

17. Are there basic laws that I should no about? Meaning, I hear that you can't show public displays of affection with your mate. Are there anymore similar to this one?

18. Can I watch American television shows in Kuwait? Does Kuwait have high speed internet?

19. If there is anyone moving to Kuwait in August on this forum that has children please e-mail me as I would love to connect when we arrive. There is nothing like having a community of people that you can experience things like this together.

This is all for now. Again, my apologies for so many questions.

I hope to hear from you guys soon.

Whoa, that is a handful of questions. I will try to answer some I can help you with, but many of the questions have already been asked and answered in the forum.

1. Yes, as long as they are unlocked and use GSM network. As for the best one, you will have to check with the mobile provider (there are three: Wataniya, Viva and Zain). I am using Skype most of the time anyway.

2. There is one city to speak of really. :) I wouldn't say that crime is a problem here. There are parts of town that are nicer and less so, but even if you don't get a place near to the office, you can get everywhere in 30-40 minutes.

3. There are a couple of large supermarket chains that have an organic food section, that is probably your best bet.

4. This is something I would like to know as well. It is common to have a maid that you can sponsor, but I don't need a full time help, just someone to jump in from time to time.

5. Kuwait is quite family friendly I would say. There are some indoor playgrounds that you have to use during the summer season, but weather permitting there are a lot of open air spaces for children and families.

6. There are a *ton* of fitness clubs here, seems that there is a fetish for these things going on here as they are everywhere. :)

7. Avenues mall is the largest one, followed by 360 Mall and a couple of other ones. There is a Mac shop almost in each one of them, so no worries there.

8. No experience with local banks, but you will be able to do it with any of them, just check how much they will charge for it. NBK is the largest bank I believe, and I know that a lot of people use Western Union for international money transfer.

9. Yes.

10. It depends very much on the season etc... I have seen return flights to Vienna for example for as low as $300, but most of the time the average price is around $700-$800 for most European destinations. During the summer the prices skyrocket as locals are fleeing the country. :)

11. Keep your knees and shoulders covered and you will be fine. I don't think there is a special rule for children, but maybe someone will be able to tell us more.

12. Ouch. The post delivery is a kind of a problem in Kuwait, as generally the parcels are not delivered at all using the regular postal service. :) There are services like Aramex that people use when ordering from abroad, but I haven't beer ordering anything yet so can't comment on that yet.

13. I have heard that medicine can get expensive here but is readily available. However before you bring anything over make sure that it is allowed in Kuwait and that you have the proper paperwork to bring it in. No need to bring diapers and baby stuff with you, you can get it all here.

14. No, but there are similar places that you will find familiar.

15. Absolutely.

16. Yes, traffic is horrendous, and Kuwait is famous for holding the top spot for traffic casualties in the world. That being said, you will get used to it in a week or two (not tot he casualties, the traffic) and if you are careful and keep some common sense you will be fine. I was a bit worried initially, but I am completely comfortable now. It might be worth bringing the car over if you can get a decent price on that, but check what paperwork is involved to do so. Here is some very useful info if you are planning to do so:
http://desertgirlkuwait.blogspot.com/20 … uwait.html

17. Just use your common sense and get acquainted with the local customs, but apart from you mentioned, there are not many things that I would find important.

18. Yes, you can get a satellite TV with a ton of channels from www.osn.com. Internet is available but the speed and reliability is not up to par with what you are used to, and is a bit pricey as well. No big deal though.

19. My wife and a baby will hopefully join soon as well. Shout if you need help. Also keep in mind that you will have scorching weather here in August.

@Ribosom You are so awesome and kind to answer all of my questions. I appreciate you and I will definitely contact you when we arrive in Kuwait.

I will go back and look at some older threads as well. Thanks again.

It is no problem at all, we have all been through the same doubts as you do. :)

:one Ribosom

PS ur making me look bad :P

You have been skipping classes lately, so someone had to step in! :-P

hi to ribosom, legacy,kuwaitherewecome and the rest of ExpatBlog community. KuwaitHereWeCome questions and answers gathered were very helpful.Thank you for sharing your insights. Restaurants and malls are aplenty.I also read ArabTimesOnline,ExpatBlog and other related links for additional info&news on what's happening in the city.Hope to hear from all you soon.

@legacy - NP.

@phwriter11 - Thank you so much.

Do not worry, kuwait is save country, you will find within days all live easy- i phones with high speed can be joined with zain or viva company- avinues is the best mall in kuwait now days and you will find ikea for all your furnature need and most famous food and resurant in the world from fast food to chease factory to what ever you want- sultan center- carfour- jeean and lulo are bbiggest supermarket in kuwait- belive me in kuwait you will find evey thing in the word . Relax - only alchool ang pig meet forbidden and i belive these are sell  for us people wirk in army firce throug special supermarket belong to us force- best gem is champion in jabria area and others- there is a supermarket in each area in kuwait - pharmacy every were and there is alot of them 24 hours - sultan center supermarket 24 hours in salmiaa area- coffe shops like cost- starboks- other you will find them in each mall- best malls avenues- 360 mall-marian mall- souq sharq mall- alkout mall- -- best hotel sheratoon- maria crest- hayat regency- holiday inn- crown plaza- jumira beach - for you baby every thing availabe in kuwait. The weather is too hot from march to october and hotest weather at august but don worry all houses and aprtmant and mall are fully air condition - nice and cold weather from mid nov to march -- gooood luch and enjoy kuwait. Eng : m safar , email: [email protected]