Is my plan for working in Malta feasible ?

Hi, All

I am planning to find up a job in Malta earning about 2000 euros as an IT consultant. I got fed up with the terrible winters we were having. I am a family man. The plan is the following ...

(1) Get a job while in the UK. Come out here. Settle my self in the job assuming that I get all the ID cards, SSecurity, etc. etc.

(2) Confirm my probabtion period - probably 3 months. Then in the 4th month - make a trip home - to check up on my family.

(3) Hoping to send atleast 1000 euros home. The rest should cover my rent
my electricity utils
is that ENOUGH - would I need airconditioning because of July
August ? I have been told that ELECTRICITY prices are high
I heard that Nov, Dec & Jan can be freezing inside your home.
So I am wondering whether I should double my amount/per month
for electricity

my food
my travel
social security+taxes
6000/12 = 500
Okay that comes to 1170 euros
So, that means I need a salary of
1000 + 1170 = 2170
plus another 100 euros just to cover my flights home
2300 should be my gross salary
Atleast so that I can save up 300 euros after expenses to pay for a return flight back home.

Is that realistc or am I stuffed ?

(4) Will I be lonely - I guess that I can only work out once I come there

(5) Will I miss my family - I guess if I can make those trips home over a long weekend then I am okay

(6) Generally would I get a total of atleast 25 days leave ?

The reason why I chose Malta (1) since I am an EU citizen (2) it is cheaper to travel back to the UK and probably more often than say Dubai (3) would be entitled for medical (4) Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar atleast would be sunny

I have some unresolved questions

(1) Would my studio be furnished ? Would it be safe ? Does one have noise issues in Malta considering it so crowded

(2) What are notice periods like ?

(3) Can your employer hold your salary ?

(4) What happens if you get a summary sacking ?

(5) Our rent contracts DRACONIAN ? like is it easy to change ?
Can you loose your deposit ? Reading thru posts here - it looks like RENTING can be a nightmare !

(6) How easy is to suddenly find that there is not much to see in this Island since it's so small ?

(7) How SAFE & EASY is it to make friends, cycle & play table tennis etc. etc.

If someone look thru my plan - and point out areas which need sorting I would be grateful

And oh!

Health Insurance
=================
Do I need MEDICAL INSURANCE

or can I use my UK European Health Card ??

i.e if I start working - since I would be paying Social Security would I be entitled to Maltese health care ?

Would I still have to make NI contributions here in the UK ?

It looks like you have never been to Malta, have not done much research about the place, worry about many issues and now expect strangers on an Internet forum to give you all the answers?
Sorry, but it takes more than a vague idea and a dislike for cold winters to make a successful move. Please reconsider and/or wait until you are ready!

What the heck happened to my response?
I answered 3 questions and gave some reference advice. So too did Ricky. Why is a German animator getting involved and so harshly??

Beppi, what the heck do you know about this? Ricky is the man. Did you delete our responses? If so why? A public response would be appreciated.

Hi redmik,

slow, slow!

hcpa copied and pasted his post , so there were two identical posts. Our responses were there but hcpa didn't respond anymore. Maybe he/she only writes in the middle if the night ?

So this should have been the thread to be removed and not the other one! Maybe our moderators can correct and add on our original answers to this thread.

We do encourage animators from one country forum to keep an eye on other forums if they are interested and have the time. Nothing wrong with that and his answer was ok considering the list of questions and double posting.

Cheers
Ricky

OK but I am sure you understand my concern?

I answered to this post placed on a general forum (at the time).
I will not post on a country-specific forum without having good knowledge about the country.
As you might have noticed, my answer only pertains to general topics (and I still think it is valid advice).

I apologise for my 'rant'; I had not noticed that there had been a 'double post' as I only saw this on the Malta Forum.
Perhaps the 'mods' can combine the 2 posts, without unnecessary comments and perhaps hcpa would be polite enough to respond.

This thread is closed : double post

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=278181

Closed