Online Shopping

I am so fed up with the mosquitoes so I decided to order a bee keepers hood. I already do the gardening in long sleeves, long trousers and gardening gloves, despite the hot weather. This just leaves my face and neck for the Dracula insects. This is what I ordered and it looked like the 1700 Ft included delivery:

http://www.meheszbolt-tamasi.hu/ruhazat … kalap-tull

No mention of any extra charges was made when I placed the order, although it looked like the price was excluding VAT, so I thought it might end up as 2160 Ft. I have now had an email saying that the price with COD is 2900 Ft. Is this normal with online ordering to add extra charges not displayed on the website?:(

fidobsa wrote:

... excluding VAT, so I thought it might end up as 2160 Ft. I have now had an email saying that the price with COD is 2900 Ft. Is this normal with online ordering to add extra charges not displayed on the website?:(

COD costs a fee as the Post Office has to collect the money and deliver it to the seller. It's the COD which is causing the price to rise.

What you could do is simply pay in advance using the "Yellow Cheques" at the PO and then you'll avoid the PO COD costs. 

I know you won't have checked the goods but this is a common way out here. Consumer laws are not very good in Europe so it's a bit of a gamble to get redress if you are disatisfied.

I'm not complaining about paying for something like COD but why can they not tell me the overall charge when I place the order? I have to make sure I can pay the driver who delivers it (GLS apparently) but how can I tell if I have enough cash when I commit to the purchase?

Shopping online I could usually see the different fees and the total depending on the payment and shipping options before committing to the purchase.
Cheapest is paying in advance and picking up in person.

A fair compromise I usually came to is "Pick-pack pont": much cheaper than home delivery, you don't have to be at home waiting, they have drop-off points everywhere, and you get to see your package before paying.

I looked at your link, it links to the incomprehensible price chart of Magyar Posta :-/

This would have been you picking it up at their location, no fees:
Személyes, bolti átvétel
This would have been paying in advance by bank transfer, lower fees:
Előre utalással fizetek

Thanks, szocske. I had not heard of this "pick-pack pont" but will investigate that in future. As I said though, I'm not complaining about the charges themselves but the not knowing what you are paying when you place an order.