How are black americans treated in Cairo Egypt?

can u  contact me at *** my name is shirley an i got to ask you a few questions thanks

Moderated by kenjee 2 months ago
Reason : We encourage sharing of contact infos through private message system ( Click on avatar of member to access profile, from there click on the 'Send message' button on top banner profile)
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi there!

I've been here a year now, and never had a single problem. The only thing I've had to be careful of was people trying to take advantage of you because to many of them, we seem rich. No racial issues, no real prejudice. I've worked in many places, and I'm finding Egypt to be quite good. Still negotiating a few things, but overall, I really like Cairo.

i would like to get work as a assistant teacher teaching english i dont have a degree an i thought of paying for the tefl course in alexandria so i can do that i am black american 53 female n i like egypt but u need a job and not just your savings. i just wonder being black speaking english will get me hired. thanks

Being black won't be a problem here in Egypt. Not having a degree may make finding a job harder, though.  Still, if you like it in Egypt, Cairo is very good. The TEFL course will open some doors for you.

The young lady was on staff at  the hotel.

I have spent 3 years schooling here in Egypt, though my school not based in Cairo but I must confess to you that Egypt is a home away from home. I am a Nigerian schooling here. you can mail me on osasticatedosas[at] incase there's anything you wish to know about this country

I'm black American and have never felt out of place here. People everywhere can have some element of racism to them but I think most people here couldn't care less what your color is. Honestly you can't tell I'm not an Arab of some kind until I speak, but even when I do people are just curious if anything. I wear hijab and I won't lie -- that makes a difference on the treatment you get. Maybe without it, I would have more stories to tell :)

I advice you not to come at all if you are single.  But if you are married you will be ok! As for Afro hairdressers, there are non and the few that are there will be a Male hair stylist.  I suggest you would be better off going to Dubai instead!

Egypt is a good place to live and people need to stop being victims.  Be positive and you'll  attract positivity.

Questions and answers about Cairo

Ask your question
Maadi Neighborhood in Cairo
By nomadjoe
Native English speaker looking for job in Cairo.
By CitoyenPort
Deutsche Sprache Lernen
By Muaaz
Salma Emad950
Hello .. I'm new here 😊
By Salma Emad950

Expatriate health insurance in Cairo

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Cairo

Moving to Cairo

Find tips from professionals about moving to Cairo

Travel insurance in Cairo

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Cairo