Maps

My wife and I are coming to Cuenca next year.  We are trying to learn as much as we can before we come.  Does anyone know where I can beg/borrow/steal a detailed street map of Cuenca.  I know there are many online, but I'm old fashioned and like to use paper maps.  I am a new forum member and look forward to chatting with you guys in the future.

I would look at using openstreetmap.org. You can export their maps in a large png and jpg format. If you need it even larger, export it as a vector pdf or svg, which you can then scale to any size.

Then take that file to a local print shop and have then print it for you at the desired size.

I have never done that, but have heard of people doing it.

I spent two days googling for map sites and never saw this one.  I downloaded an svg file and am trying to figure out how to use it since I've never used this format.  I'm going to check with a print shop to see if they can print it.  I'll let you know how it works out.

We are planning on spending 2 months in Cuenca next year.  We lived in Seattle for many years and the weather down there seems similar and is not an issue if that is so.

Thanks so much for your help.  I think this forum is going to be a great resource.

Howard Glassman

Hello,
There is some stores in Cuenca where you can buy a map. The best are in Monsalve office suplies. You can get one for free in the Tourism Office in downtown Cuenca.

Openstreetmap web page is very good, better and reliable than Google or Mapquest maps.

Thank you so much.  I will try to contact them via or phone and see if we can work something out.

I printed an svg file from openmaps and it is huge (150 Meg)  I tried to look at it via IE 9 but the image didn't have much detail in it.  I've started looking around for a utility that can handle svg files but nothing much yet.

So, in the meanwhile I used openmaps and drug the map around doing 20 screen prints and then printed them and pasted them together.  So now I can tell what parts of town I'm seeing on videos and reading about on the web. 

Hopefully I'll have the basics of town in my head when my wife and I come down there early next year to see what it's really like.

Thanks again for the help.