Hi everybody ,

We are a French/Thai couple with a newborn and will arrive
in Cairo probably around September .
As I will work at the Airport, I am looking for your advise
on the living area to select .
MAADI looks goods specialy for my wife, but a long to reach
the Airport during peak hours ? Heliopolis looks goods as well
and Al Rehab looks good area for kid .

Do you have any advise for us, we are looking for info on traffic, good hospital, shooping centers, leisure places ect
around this 3 areas, and any other useful tips .

Thanks to everybody

Qwertyu

Hello
and welcome to Egypt

the most appropriate area for you is Heliopolis especially Sheraton

it is the nearest place to the airport

Best of luck

Welcome! 

The commute between Maadi and the airport is often difficult and you would spend a lot of time on the road each day.  Heliopolis is a good area to live and would be better for your commute to and from work.  Since I don't have any children here in Egypt I don't know the difficulty of getting your child to and from school if you live in Heliopolis but if you look at the websites for the schools you are considering then you can get their email address and send them a note to ask about that.

New Cairo is the nearest,maybe 30 minutes of driving, and it is modern indeed! A new metro train line is building, and soon it ties the area with all important points in Cairo

Hi qwertyu,

I moved to Cairo last July. My husband is Egyptian and I am Spanish, but we lived in London for 16 years before relocating to Egypt. We have 1 young daughter.

Here is a bit of my experience so far: we spent the first 3 months in the area called Sheraton, which is very close to Cairo airport. I have to say I found this area very claustrophobic, although it is meant to be a nice residential location. Streets not very clean, noisy all the time.

In early October we moved to Al Rehab and have found things are a lot closer to the standards I am used to. There is a very nice club with sporting facilities, 2 small shopping malls, food court, even decent public transport! Al Rehab is not far from the airport, maybe 10-15 minutes drive without traffic, but of course you have to take into account the rush hour...

If you like shopping then Maadi is probably the place for you, (they have big Carrefour and quite nice mall) and is popular with expats, but is much further from the airport. Not sure how long it would take you to get to work but is probably double distance compared to Al Rehab.

Hope you find this useful.

Good luck!

The airport is 1 hour distance from Maadi, at least, depending which area of Maadi!

Dear All ,

Thanks to all of you for your answers, but the plan has changed
and we will not come to Egypt, we will stay in Asia .

Again thanks to all of you and good luck .
Qwertyu

:one
So, now, we are waiting for another expat that s going to work at Cairo Airport, for continuing conversation about distances, driving to and from different Cairo areas... and the airport!
:(
Nobody around?

Any idea when that Metro stop in New Cairo will be completed? Months or years?
Im moving to Cairo in Aug 2010, and am planning on Living in New Cairo.

:up: oooooo, finally somebody!
God knows how long it lasts building the line! But if it is as Egyptians use to say, INSHEELAH BUCRA, it will be finished another time!
Why New Cairo?  I find it a strange area, very far from town!

fo air port is much better to live in helioplis
Maadi is a nice area but it will be far away from ur work

qwertyu wrote:

Hi everybody ,

Do you have any advise for us, we are looking for info on traffic, good hospital, shooping centers, leisure places ect

Thanks to everybody

Qwertyu

Hi Qwertyu
I'm French and my wife is also from Thailand. We'll be moving to Cairo soon. Let's keep in touch and don't hesitate to email me.
Cheers

Sunnira wrote:
qwertyu wrote:

Hi everybody ,

Thanks to everybody

Qwertyu

Hi Qwertyu
I'm French and my wife is also from Thailand. We'll be moving to Cairo soon. Let's keep in touch and don't hesitate to email me.
Cheers

When you write something in a topic it is useful for you to read all posts, try to revise the topic and you ll see that family changed their plans, they ll stay in Asia.
The topic continues cause another person , from Bogota is coming in August!
We are waiting for him! And for you of course! :one