Front Office Manager/Front of House Manager

Hey Happy People

I trust that you all are well.
Let me take a moment to introduce myself, My name is Ashley and im currently living in London.

I have over 7 years experience in the Hospitality industry in different roles , reception, shift leader, Night Manager, Duty Manager, Front Office Manager and Front of House Manager.I have worked for a leading chain of hotels which comprised of 4* Deluxe and 5* hotels.

I am currenlty looking for a job in resorts on varies parts of the island. I have applied but without any success for roles like, Guest Relations Officers, Asst front office Manager, Receptionist(just out of curiousity) and did not get a response.

I have went to the extent of calling up resorts in the Maldives and forwarding my resume to the Resident Managers and Gm.

I have been in contact with Mooch who has been helpful to me with a few recommendations.
I have been applying through sites like Maldives Jobs, Global Caterer, Personnel recuitment and still no success.

Is there anyone on this site that can help me find a job in the Maldives, I will endevour to find a job and will keep my chin up.

All your help and support will be much appreciated. Im looking forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks and best regards
Ashley Pillay

Hey Ash, good luck in your quest to secure a job on the islands, you are finding it difficult for a few reasons,you probably should firstly be over there (in Male') and try from there...The Maldives is very small and work is hard to get,as soon as their is an opening they try to give it to their own 1st which is understandable, and everyone knows everyone.
Unless a job is specific in asking for outsiders they are a very tight fickle community that don't really want to much outside assistance if they can help it. Its a pity as so much can be done there as the potential is massive but their arrogance proceeds them. I've been there on and off for the last 12 months and find the place and people very frustrating. I invested quite a substantial amount of money into a business their and had a fall out with my partners and i'm currently trying to get my investment back, everyone i have spoken to answers with "good luck getting your money back from "the bay of thieves" as soon as something goes wrong they all disappear, everything is super expensive there as well, rent, food, storage etc... my suggestion to you would be to try it for yourself but don't expect too much...maybe you should look elsewhere. anyways good luck in your venture...Al

Hey Al

Thanks for sharing with me.
Its understandable that people want to keep it within the Maldivian family when it comes to jobs.
What astonishes me is the thinking process behind this, expats bring a lot to the country Re: smart intelligent people, foreign  investors, Diversity, and by word of mouth attracts more visitors YoY.
People like Mooch and others really do the island proud but its just a handful that seem to live in the past and do not want others.
I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience when it came to your biz, I'm sure things will work out and you will be given more.
To my amazement , I called a specific resort yesterday for an experienced reception supervisor position, the Answer , I do not have the qualifications or experience , the person did not even take a look at my Résumé after me emailing , the person was the Asst HR and the icing on the cake , My question to the person : what's the difference between 4* and 5* service/resort/Hotel. Hmmmmmmm, very Grey.

This was a great share and I'm sure other will be able to help.

Chin up and remain positive.
Peace and Love
Ash

Hi! Much better to come here first as a tourist.. If you're already here you can apply personally coz most of the time they prefer to hire some people already here in Maldives coz its much easier for them... But you need to spend more money first. Hope you can get a job here soon! Good luck!

Hello Ash159
First of all, do you speak any other language than English? if not, it will be very difficult to get a job in the Maldives, specially for jobs like GRO.
If you don't speak at least one other language, why a resort will employ a foreigner when they can employ a Maldivian?

From my experience, I really don't see the point to come here first as a tourist (a spend a lot of money) as anyway, IF you find a job you will have to leave the country in order for the visa process to start, then come back when it's done.

Eventually, there is a difference between finding a job in the Maldives and starting a business over here! so don't let people scare you with some stories that have nothing to do with what you want to do ^_^
Securing a job is not that difficult, but you must have the right qualifications AND, from what I know, languages.

Best of luck.

Hiya LaMissJude

Thanks for your help. I have the work experience but not the language.
I have just started teaching English in my spare time to a German and French student , they have offered to teach me their languages in return . Hopefully in the next few months I will be able to speak and understand both as a start. I will continue with my positive approach and hopefully something's going to turn up.

If anyone on this forum is willing to help with a job at one of their resorts or know of any openings , please feel free to drop me a line :  [email protected]

Warm regards
Ash