Very few expatriates in ZHAOQING

I am a bit disapponited that there are very few expatriates living or working in Zhaoqing. At a time when everyone in China is rushing headlong into modernization, when places like Beijing are crushing their lovely old houses to make way for the 2008 Olympics, when Shanghai and Shenzhen are more interested in making money than making art, here was Zhaoqing quietly fusing new with old, embracing new technology yet still remembering how to make inkstones. A livable 3rd tier city moves forward yet stands still.

Hi Shirley,

thanks for your post.

It is not really that surprising what you wrote though. I myself had never even heard of your city until i looked it up just now. Although it has almost 4 million ppl in metro area, the wiki article on it is relatively short so the reason is perhaps that foreigners simply dont know about it. Heck even Guangzhou (where I'll be moving to next month - I wasn't really aware of its existence until about 2 years ago when a friend of mine had gone to teach there. And thats a city of over 10 million !!

Another reason is that statistically there is mere ~590,000 registered foreigners in China only !!! which is a tiny fraction of the total population. I'm sure the unofficial number can be twice or even three times higher but even some 2, 000,000 is nothing in chinese population that is some 1.4 billion !!! Also most expatriates / foreigners go to cities like Beijing and Shanghai, or Shenzhen so that would be why.

Anyways I cant wait to move to Guangzhou next month though I'm a little scared as I cant speak the language at all !! So i hope to find friends from abroad haha. :)

Regards,

Ryuk

Ryuk21_xpatkid wrote:

Hi Shirley,

thanks for your post.

It is not really that surprising what you wrote though. I myself had never even heard of your city until i looked it up just now. Although it has almost 4 million ppl in metro area, the wiki article on it is relatively short so the reason is perhaps that foreigners simply dont know about it. Heck even Guangzhou (where I'll be moving to next month - I wasn't really aware of its existence until about 2 years ago when a friend of mine had gone to teach there. And thats a city of over 10 million !!

Another reason is that statistically there is mere ~590,000 registered foreigners in China only !!! which is a tiny fraction of the total population. I'm sure the unofficial number can be twice or even three times higher but even some 2, 000,000 is nothing in chinese population that is some 1.4 billion !!! Also most expatriates / foreigners go to cities like Beijing and Shanghai, or Shenzhen so that would be why.

Anyways I cant wait to move to Guangzhou next month though I'm a little scared as I cant speak the language at all !! So i hope to find friends from abroad haha. :)

Regards,

Ryuk

Hi Ryuk, thanks for sharing your ideas. Zhaoqing is a small city which is 2 hours away from Guangzhou. I have studied and lived in Guangzhou for more than 6 years. Honestly it is not an ideal livable city (the air, the traffic, the large population..) though there are much more job offers. May I ask you are moving there for a job or study? Maybe when you move to Guangzhou, someday you will visit nearby cities including Zhaoqing.=:) Anyway, welcome to Guangdong!

Shirley_Chen wrote:

Hi Ryuk, thanks for sharing your ideas. Zhaoqing is a small city which is 2 hours away from Guangzhou. I have studied and lived in Guangzhou for more than 6 years. Honestly it is not an ideal livable city (the air, the traffic, the large population..) though there are much more job offers. May I ask you are moving there for a job or study? Maybe when you move to Guangzhou, someday you will visit nearby cities including Zhaoqing.=:) Anyway, welcome to Guangdong!

Haha, (a small city you say?? 400,000 in most of europe is considered big! :)

Anyways I am heading to Guangzhou to work as a teacher. I will arriving in just a couple of weeks now :/

yes I also hope to visit nearby towns and cities. Glad the public transport is so cheap. How much is a bus ticket ? I hear its 2 or 4 RMB according to distance.

Ryuk21_xpatkid wrote:
Shirley_Chen wrote:

Haha, (a small city you say?? 400,000 in most of europe is considered big! :)

Anyways I am heading to Guangzhou to work as a teacher. I will arriving in just a couple of weeks now :/

yes I also hope to visit nearby towns and cities. Glad the public transport is so cheap. How much is a bus ticket ? I hear its 2 or 4 RMB according to distance.

The public bus is 2 RMB within Guangzhou. But if you'd like to visit nearby cities like Zhaoqing, the bus ticket is about 50 RMB. Foshan is quite close to Guangzhou, you can just take the subway with 7 RMB.