Making the move but want some business ideas, please.

My family and I are in the planning stages of our move to Belize. We would like to invest in starting a new business when we arrive to generate income for ourselves as well as employing some locals.  My question is....from your point of view, what new business would you like to see in your area?   The location I prefer is the Placencia area or a coastal village further north.  Any and all advice is welcome.  I'm open minded about opportunities.   Thanks for your time!!

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Seriously thinking of and researching the possibilities of growing Mushrooms on a commercial scale as the imported ones are very expensive if and when available and tinned ones are not suited to all needs.

The canned mushrooms in Belize taste like a wet gym sock. Only a DIY-republican- minimalist would grow fungi there on a commercial basis. Nevertheless here is a bit of info..
http://westernbelizehappenings.blogspot … elize.html
It's far easier to live in northern Belize and smuggle them in from Chetumal especially by boat. Someone at the market brought me some regularly smuggled under the car seat. But they were double the price of the real world.
A lot of people come to Belize thinking "gee they don't have x here, if i sell x i'd make a lot of money".. people like that usually get burned, bad.
Having said that, there is not a single snowmobile repair mechanic in the whole country. Someone with those skills could corner the snowmobile repair market for the entire country.
The problem for many businesses in Belize is that it has the buying power of only a small city of 30,000 or so in the U.S. or Canada, and there's not much disposable income for anything beyond the basics eg alcohol and women, hence the popularity of "CoolSpots"(read brothel).
However, some ex pats do real estate and property mgmt, some hotels/resorts. These serve mainly other gringos(AC and Placencia). The Chinese do the groceries and hardware and the Mennonites feed everybody. The few Belizean businesses run by Belizeans for Belizeans are small eateries and girlie bars.
With any business venture (permits, import duties etc) be aware that if you think that Belize is a country of laws and not an asylum run by its inmates making up rules as they go along - think again.

I am not looking at huge commercial production of 10 to 20 pounds a week would be doable and the amount should be marketable after home use, the remainder I am sure would  be saleable to local resteraunts and hotels.
Seems a small wooden house on land we already own, Staying with Mushrooms that need a subtropical climate, not the North American/European Beloved button mushrooms as they would need cooling by a/c to fruit. properly. Looking to make enough for my needs and a bit to spare for sale.
I do not have the deep pockets to try to produce the  hundreds of Kilos that would spawn needs for the marketing office, the  labour intense picking/packageing facility,, and the full transportation system to deliver throughout the country.