Moving to Izmir - which area?

Hi, Im an expat from England, I have been living in Turkey for one year, but I'm planning to move from my current city Eskisehir to Izmir. My workplace is in Konak, but house prices there seem expensive.

Can you advise me of some good areas to live, not so far from Konak. Ive been looking at maybe Bornova or Buca?

Any advice would be grateful,

Thanks, Jen :)

Hi Jen. I live in Istanbul but i am from İzmir. I lived there 22 years. I reccommend you Hatay, F.Altay(Üçkuyular) , Guzelyalı. You can ask me everything about İzmir..

Thanks,Efe

jen we live in Cesmealti but have family in both Buca and Bornova

The new Metro system is mostly done so both Bornova and Buca are good choices for the less expensive type of rental.

I prefer Bornova though as it is easier to get to sea side and has more in terms of mahjor AVMs , shopping etc.

Thanks for your advice! :)

Jenbob wrote:

Hi, Im an expat from England, I have been living in Turkey for one year, but I'm planning to move from my current city Eskisehir to Izmir. My workplace is in Konak, but house prices there seem expensive.

Can you advise me of some good areas to live, not so far from Konak. Ive been looking at maybe Bornova or Buca?

Any advice would be grateful,

Thanks, Jen :)

for konak, houses in and around the area of Ucyol would be very suitable. ucyol is a square that has a subway stop at its center. it takes around 15 minutes to reach konak with subway, waiting time, travel time included. area is tightly packed buildings, but the top levels generally have wide view of the bay, and also quite acceptable rent. i had been living in one for 5 years for 475 tl rent monthly.

the area is a bit middle middle-class, but the attitude and tolerance of people are quite high. however if you move further towards the sea from the vicinity of subway, the neighborhoods become less well-to do. you have to stick to main street, or at most 1 street towards the sea from the main square. the main shops street of the area is called 'betonyol', and it starts from ucyol - it has all kinds of small and big shops - you can find anything. ranging from plumbers to jewelers to dairy shops to a 24 hour open grocery store.

hatay, someone recommended, starts a little bit after ucyol. it is a middle class district, but the rent and house prices would be more expensive there. but it is more suitable for a foreigner.  since subway also goes there, it is a very good place. there is no lacking of shops, services and amenities there - it is a major district.

fahrettin altay is even further, a similar district to hatay, but subway has still some time to reach there yet.

as it stands, your optimal option is hatay.

Hi unity100,

Thank you for the sharing of information :)

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi Jen,

I would suggest Balcova, Teleferik area where private houses are nestled in the forest which gives you a very nice view of Izmir bay - but this area is very quite- 15-20 min to Konak by car. I would not suggest Alsancak area since the rent fees are high and no area for parking.

Best wishes,

Serra

@ Serra > Just to inform you that this thread is a bit old (2013), however thank you for your contribution :)

Have a nice day

Priscilla

Hii could you give me your profile in telegram to be in touch with you about izmir???
Id appreciate it

Hi , my Dad lives in Iran and he's planning on moving to Izmir , he is an artist and carpenter , he is looking for a land or garden house to live and do business , which area is suitable for that purpose? And I would appreciate any advice or information

Hi I live in iran and i want go to Izmir .I need to information about rent apartment in the best area in Izmir

karsiyaka is the best

really? are the apartments good?

of course specially mavisehir in karsiyaka

u live in izmir?

no in istanbul but i know izmir well

Hi im irani i want know that
Izmir is good for Iranians to live?

Hi,

My husband and I are looking to move to Izmir next year and start a family.

We currently spend half our time in Istanbul where we work, and half in Kent.

Since we will still need to commute to Istanbul 2 days / week, it would be good to be near airport or the new road. But being English, my main priority is lots of space and a garden...

Any areas in Izmir you would recommend?

@EfeSutcu 
Hi
I want to move izmir have a kid. Which is the family area of izmir as well near to all neccessary things. Thanks in advance 
@honey67 İzmir is good for iranians for living. If you come from Shiraz it's even better :)
People are calm, respectful, level-headed and lax, but settling down to a place certainly depends on your income 

Cheers
@smgb21 Lots of space and garden 
then Güzelbahçe is your cup of tea :)

Cheers

@Monaaa

Hi Monaaa

I am visiting Izmir and saw your note.  Hope you and your family are all doing well in Izmir.  I plan to retire to Izmir and want to ask you some questions, such as best area to live in Izmir.  Please write to me*****

Best to you and your family

Alan
Moderated by Djameel last year
Reason : Please share contact details via private message, thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct