Cost of utilities

Hello Expat-bloggers,

I am a new expat just moved to Bahrain last Sunday. Currently I am searching for a new flat for me and my wife and we found a fantastic apartment in Amwaj Island.

We only have one concern about the draft contract we received. We know that usually all rented apartment includes all utility bills.

In this case the landlord suggested to cover electricity+water up to 240BD within a year. Therefore I should pay for the cost in excess.
Is that amount enough (240BD/year)? Consider that we are a couple with no kids.

Thanks for your help.

Giovanni

All apartments do not come as inclusive and whoever told you this lied.

The limit should cover you just fine but be careful for the first month or two and ask to see copies of the bills. If you are well within your budget then you will be ok

Most contracts that are inclusive have a BD50 per month cap on water and electricity.

Excellent apartment in Amwaj usually means highly expensive with little or no kitchen or living space.

Thanks for your quick reply but I am not sure what you mean with last sentence.

Thanks again!

I too think BD240 per year should be adequate for couple living in an apartment. As Josnuggles mentioned, not all apartment rents include utility bills. Most have a cap, like what your landlord is proposing. And I think what the landlord proposes in reasonable.

Be very clear with your landlord about this. Ask if this is Electricity+Water AND Municipality rates (what is locally known as "Baladiya") or just Electricity+Water.

Bear in mind that the "Baladiya" in 7.5% to 10% of your rent depending on whether your apartment is classified as "furnished" or "unfurnished".

If the limit the landlord proposes includes the "Baladiya", your limit will get consumed fairly quickly.

Welcome to Bahrain! Wish you and your wife a pleasant stay and life here.

Hello there and welcome to the forum.

240BD should be enough to cover your bills for a year. If it goes more than that, it won't be a lot more.

Amwaj is a lovely place and there are a lot of nice apartments, shops, cafes, restaurants and bars. I know a lot of people in Amwaj who enjoy living there so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I basically meant you can live elsewhere for half the price.

My elec/water/tax is BD300 a month

Josnuggles wrote:

My elec/water/tax is BD300 a month

Did you mean to say BD300 a year?

I am hoping she meant a year.

Month. Including municipality tax which is BD100 so BD200 for elec and water

Are you serious?! BD200 per month for electricity and water?! This sounds far too much!

That was our bill. EWA have put a DD cap of BD350 on our account.  It's all the parties we have lol

Those are some really expensive parties :)

Yeah but she is the best party organiser.

That was our bill. EWA have put a DD cap of BD350 on our account.  It's all the parties we have lol

Wow that is quite expensive! :huh:

Those are some really expensive parties :)

Jo what appliances are you running for your parties? large music decks? :whistle: strobe lights :P  Fog machines :lol: then i can see why the bill is so high.. :proud

Hi Jazzy

Our place is pretty big so it's just the general upkeep of the place. A.C is probably most of it.

Hi Jazzy

Our place is pretty big so it's just the general upkeep of the place. A.C is probably most of it.

Hi Jo, I'm just pulling your leg... :P

I know :D

Well... Thanks to all of you for all your advices!

At the end, we found and negotiate an all inclusive lease contract!
So... There's no problem of electricity bills to host the next expat party! :D

There's no problem of electricity bills to host the next expat party! big_smile

Party on dude :cheers::D

Gioxx wrote:

Well... Thanks to all of you for all your advices!

At the end, we found and negotiate an all inclusive lease contract!
So... There's no problem of electricity bills to host the next expat party! :D

Can't wait.

Josnuggles wrote:

Hi Jazzy

Jo you know the mysterious Samsung box you have in the lower ground floor? I think it is there to manage the energy flow in your castle. ;)