Inmigration

Greetings, Expats,

I came to Jacaltenango, Huehuetenango, Guatemala on 10 JN 2,009.  Why Jacaltenango, almost no crime in a population of
27K.

I was here 6 months when I returned to Palm Beach Gardens, FL
for a 2-week visit.

Upon re-entry to Guatemala, customs told me I can only stay
90 days.  Can I go to México for some hours and re enter guatemala for another 90?  I don`t want any problems with immigration here, where they can deny me entry.  For how long would I have to leave?

Thank You,

Jim in Jacaltenango

Jim, legally you either need to renew your visa in the capital (trip to migracion plus paperwork) at the cost of 120Q or you need to leave the country for 72 hours, not including trips to other members of the CA4.  The renewal option will be good for you only every other time, i.e., twice a year.

Most expats travel to Belize or Mexico for a short visit.  I've blogged about this extensively if you'd like to read my adventures.

Greetings Expats,

I received a reply as to how long I must stay in México before reentry into GUA-----------72 hours

Another option is to go to the capital, inmigration with all my paperwork and Q150

¿¿¿¿What paperwork????   all I have is my passport.

A trip from Jacaltenango to the capital is a 6 hour bus trip each way on Línea Dorada at Q130 each,  taxi service and hotel for 1 night.

I live 1 1/2 hours from the border with Chiapas, México at La Masilla.

Which is the better decision here?

TNX

Jim

Short answer:  go to Mexico.  Immigration really only wants you to spend two nights in Mexico before returning, so the 72 hours is not strictly enforced.

I've blogged extensively about the nightmare at immigration in the capital, here are a few stories http://guateliving.com/?s=visa