Self-development in the Philippines

Greetings, everyone.

I wonder why the people in the Philippines don't show interest for seld-development.

I think that "self-development" is an indirect source to enhance the international competitive power in each country.

Although I have stayed in this country for three years,
I haven't heard people spending their time developping themselves in their private time.

In the other hand, Filipino culture places a high value on education to acquire a better future.

1. Why don't the people in this country value self-development
   in spite of high value of education?

2. As this country bring economic growth to fruition,
   do you think that this will be changed increasingly?

Please give me your opinion.

I think that it takes long year until self-development disseminate among people as long as they value the time with family for good or bad. If this society goes toward the nuclear family and people value self-fulfillment, the condition of self-development will be made. In this sense, I feel that they won't take a leap forward huge ecnomic growth in near future.

You have a point here. But I think there were few filipinos who does this and mostly do not.  Even if others try but they have limited resources.  Maybe a few tricks or training will help.

Hello Yousuke Tanaka.

I hope that the members will give you some precious and useful advices on this matter.

Thanks and Regards

Karen

Dear Mr.versan

Thank you very much for responding to my interest.

I really agree with you. They don't have enough resource for
self-development.

For example, Business books in National book store are expensive and difficult. Those can not be familiar among people.

Addtionally, A work is nothing more than a way to get money or to stabilize their lives for most people. So they don't mean to pay money for self-development after work or in day off.

But is this matter resource problem or recognition problem?
How about the people who belong to middle class or rich class who afford to do it with good resources? Do they develop themselves?(Actually I don't know it)
Please teach me.

Generalisations aside (we're all guilty of that, sometimes), one of the problems is the ubiquity of catholicism. God can be used by some as an excuse to forgoe taking responsibility for yourself, - it's easier just to leave it in gods hands.

Oh, that & the fact that for a person to concentrate on self development, they usually need time, space, quiet & money.

Priority in The Philippines for the poor has to go on providing food & shelter for your gargantuan family (that's catholicism's fault again). If you can get that sorted & reach the middle class then, maybe, maybe you could think about indulging yourself in some self development, but it's far more likely you will feel the need to priotise allocating any disposable income  to "keeping up with the Jones's".

It's a developing currently, so there is hope for the future but it will takes time (lots of it).

Yousuke Tanaka wrote:

Dear Mr.versan

Thank you very much for responding to my interest.

I really agree with you. They don't have enough resource for
self-development.

For example, Business books in National book store are expensive and difficult. Those can not be familiar among people.

Addtionally, A work is nothing more than a way to get money or to stabilize their lives for most people. So they don't mean to pay money for self-development after work or in day off.

But is this matter resource problem or recognition problem?
How about the people who belong to middle class or rich class who afford to do it with good resources? Do they develop themselves?(Actually I don't know it)
Please teach me.

Dear Mr. Tanaka,

I think what you say is true. Most Filipino people focus on work to stabilize or to get filthy rich. So people who is in middle class and rich one tends to get more richer as they have the advantage to have the resource.

I believe that they were not that familiar or interested for such.

Hello Tanaka-san,

I agree with you and versan-san. Because of limited resources, people will prioritize earning for their day-to-day needs instead of self improvement. Limited resources will be allocated to basic needs instead.
But of course there are also some people who will strive for self development despite the limited resources.