Ramadan is just few days away.

Happy Ramadan to All the Expat.comgers. Stay blessed & Happy :)

Yes. 2weeks to go.
Ramadan Kareem.

Midsummer's Day just ended...

Ramadan Kareem!!:D:D

Ramadan Kareeem...!!!

bleh.

ramadaan lets the lazy be lazier

Are you ready?

no.  its impossible to be ready for an entire country to shut down for a month

raheel ali wrote:

..., less food,...

?
All day cooking and all night eating.
Restaurants all day are busy preparing take-aways and extend their working times until Fajr.

Reduced working hours for me!

raheel ali wrote:

For ramadan, the physical activity is limited as well, i sleep like a polar bear (like for hours n hours.. day and night)

Many people must work long hours during Ramadan - for themselves and for their sleeping colleagues

raheel ali wrote:

... i do eat less in ramadan than in normal days.
Infact most people would....

Infact merchants estimate that food consumption during Ramadan usually increases by 50 per cent when compared with other months.

Which Witch wrote:
raheel ali wrote:

For ramadan, the physical activity is limited as well, i sleep like a polar bear (like for hours n hours.. day and night)

Many people must work long hours during Ramadan - for themselves and for their sleeping colleagues

raheel ali wrote:

... i do eat less in ramadan than in normal days.
Infact most people would....

Infact merchants estimate that food consumption during Ramadan usually increases by 50 per cent when compared with other months.

actually non muslims are not included in the 6 hour lazy fest.

I routinely only eat one meal a day. I wake up at 330, go to work at 430, and get home at 4

This is why saudi arabia will never function without a huge force of westerners/non muslims
the work ethic on non ramadan times is bad enough let alone include this holiday that is a farce anyways. 

shouldnt act one way once a year and change the rest of the year.

also...less food?
las ti checked, the last three year average consumption was up in the double digit percentages per family. arab news had it in the paper after each ramadan

if you say so.  ive been to one of the fast breaking things.  they eat the shit out of all the food.

there is a reason KSA has one of hte highest rates of obesity and diabetes in the world

raheel ali wrote:

No no no.... The point am making is "less" eating...

Consumption refers to people buying food...not necessarily eating ..

For example ... We arrange a hotel for our 300 staff members... Can u imagine how much food would be left out after all are done eating ... Or let's say overheating ..

I have seen tonnes of food left over ...

Likewise... Every restaurant will be busy with partied and food will be left over in huge quantities...

The stocks purchased by restaurants will last them for long... As these stocks are now on sale all over...

Lets not mix up eating with buying and storing and wasting food...

So you're saying people BUY and STORE large amounts of food during Ramadan but don't eat it?  Sorry, but this makes no sense.

It's an established fact that the average Saudi gains weight during Ramadan and I know from my Muslim colleagues complaints that it's true!

As for short working hours, WW and FLS are correct in that it is the non-Muslims who are holding down the fort for a month, working regular hours or even longer, trying to keep things going but without much help from those who were out partying all night.

then you are out of shape, lazy, and need to take better care of yourself.

Me and MANY others i know survive just fine, work 12 hours a day in the sun, and dont get time for lunch and only eat int he evening, yet we have no problem functioning on a daily basis. 

Fasting for daylight hours is not hard. if it is, then you need to take better care of yourself

near the end of the month, i can see some issues, like in the last few days, but with the amount of food consumed, there shouldnt be any issues

raheel ali wrote:

For some reason I enjoy throughout this month .... I rest, I sleep during day and awake all nite... Meet all my pals, etc etc ...

But that isn't what this is supposed to be about, is it?  Isn't it supposed to be a time for reflection?  Isn't the fasting supposed to be purifying your body and feeling hunger like the less fortunate and isn't this totally defeated by bingeing all night?

Of course you enjoy it, the way you're doing it.  But is THIS what it's supposed to be about???

We have to work harder because muslims feel they are not able to work under the same conditions as everyone else.

quite humorous actually.

THe purpose of ramadan is to reflect on yourself, be closer to god, help those less fortunate, and feel what they feel. 

getting off early because it is too much for you doesnt bring you any closer to those that do it every day

Alliecat wrote:
raheel ali wrote:

For some reason I enjoy throughout this month .... I rest, I sleep during day and awake all nite... Meet all my pals, etc etc ...

But that isn't what this is supposed to be about, is it?  Isn't it supposed to be a time for reflection?  Isn't the fasting supposed to be purifying your body and feeling hunger like the less fortunate and isn't this totally defeated by bingeing all night?

Of course you enjoy it, the way you're doing it.  But is THIS what it's supposed to be about???

This is about the local custom. Most Muslim countries don't offer any shrunk office timings; nor night long chance for meet-ups.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

This is about the local custom. Most Muslim countries don't offer any shrunk office timings; nor night long chance for meet-ups.

I know.  I found  it very disappointing to be the case in the land of the Prophet :(

I enjoyed reading FLS.

I'm waiting for my office to send the notification on the reduced timings during Ramadan. Oh, and also they will be locking the cafeteria and asking us not to bring food to the office.
Happy 12 months to everyone !!

we have our own break room, and we eat and drink in there.  muslims also decide to sleep in there.

i still eat and make loud yummy noises

I'll get more time to watch documentaries in the evening. Dare I say, Richard Dawkins !!

ghanshyampdave wrote:

I'll get more time to watch documentaries in the evening. Dare I say, Richard Dawkins !!

This is the time when the month-long Turkish dramas are popular!

Alliecat wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:

Is it on TV/Internet or in Theatres (outside KSA)??

ghanshyampdave wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:

Is it on TV/Internet or in Theatres (outside KSA)??

TV.  My colleagues love these :lol:  They are long-running dramatic series (what we call 'soap operas' in the States).

Alliecat wrote:

TV.  My colleagues love these :lol:  They are long-running dramatic series (what we call 'soap operas' in the States).

I'm watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos. Neil deGrasse Tyson will present the sequel. But it's not ready for 2013. :(

Each Ramadan we are fortunate to be invited into Saudi homes. I can assure you they have, and consume HUGE quantities of food at night. These people are very generous and gracious hosts during this time of gatherings and the consumption of an endless abundance of delicious food, as the night unfolds. At the end of each Ramadan I have noted  our friends have gained weight. I am sure this Ramadan will not be any different.

I know of a few hard working professionals that do night shift in hospitals throughout the year. Therefore they appear to fast all day, because they are asleep!

Does anyone get my point?

all us non muslims get the point, and hte muslims that game the system get it as well.