Dual (Triple) citizenship for myself (non-Vietnamese)

Ok, I'll start with a timeline:
- Born in the UK in 1965
- Moved to USA in 1968 with family (parents born in UK & Ireland)
- 'Derived' US citizenship at age 17 when both parent became US citizens
- Married in VN in 2005
- Wife arrived in USA in 2006
- Had our daughter in 2007
- Wife became 'naturalized' US citizen in October, 2009 (I understand the VN law to allow dual citizenship took effect in July 1, 2009)
- Divorced in 2012 (I have full custody of our daughter)
- Ex-wife has agreed to grant permission for me to relocate with our daughter to VN (planning to move next summer)
- My ex-wife has agreed (and submitted) her existing expired Vietnamese passport for renewal.

Questions:

1) After my ex-wife renews her passport, does that in effect mean that she then has 'retained' dual citizenship as allowed under the 2009 change to VN law?
  -- Overseas Vietnamese who have not yet lost Vietnamese nationality as prescribed by Vietnamese law before the effective date of this Law may retain their Vietnamese nationality and within 5 years after the effective date of this Law ...

2) Can we then apply for dual citizenship for my daughter as the 'natural born' child to a VN citizen? (Note: Her mom did NOT receive US citizenship until she was 2 years old)
  -- A child either of whose parents is a Vietnamese citizen at the time of his/her birth and the other is a foreign national has the Vietnamese nationality if so agreed in writing by his/her parents at the time of birth registration. -- Can we 'agree' in writing now, or must this have been done when she was born?
  -- Those who apply for Vietnamese nationality may be permitted for naturalization in Việt Nam without having to fully meet the conditions prescribed at Points c, d and e, Clause 1 of this Article if they fall into one of the following cases:
a/ Being spouses, natural parents or natural offspring of Vietnamese citizens;

3) Under the law (the way I read it), a person may be entitled to VN citizenship if they are the 'natural parent' of a VN citizen; therefore, if my daughter is granted dual citizenship with US & VN, would that then allow me to receive dual (in my case triple) citizenship with UK, US & VN?

I will be in VN for the month of October this year to start investigating what will be involved for me to live and do business there; I plan to return again in early 2014 to locate a house and look at schools for my daughter. We plan to move in the summer of 2014 (during school break) so she can start grade 1 in VN in the fall.

I will be working for my US employer doing the same design/engineering that I do now and also sourcing products to be manufactured for him in VN. However, we believe it is best for me to set up an LLC and let him 'contract' me, rather than me remaining an employee of his. (open to comments on this later, however my main focus now is to sort out the citizenship)

I will also be 'attempting' to begin learning to speak Vietnamese in earnest in October, so if you know of an intensive VN language program that I can attend every day for a month, let me know.

Thanks again in advance, as I always find great advice here ... also, I will be bringing more 'steak' for the 2nd Annual BBQ Fest (those who attended in 2012 know what I'm talking about) ... all on here are invited.

Good luck, I am the spouse of a VN citizen and the parent of 2 natural citizens and can't even get a permanent residence card much less full citizenship.

Saigon Visitor,

As long as your ex-wife's name is on your kids' birth certificates and you guys have, or can gain access to your ex-wife's official Vietnamese birth certificates, your children WILL be Vietnamese citizens.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!  Anything other than that is a ploy to get money from you.  All you need to do is be nice to your ex-wife, and the entire process will be a cakewalk, whenever you guy decide to pursue it.

As for you, things can get a little sticky.  Yes, technically, you can gain Vietnamese citizenship.  But, who is going to sponsor you???  Your kids are obviously not qualified (legal age).  You will need a Vietnamese legal and financial sponsor.  Well...  That leaves you with only your ex-wife and her family.  Man, I hope you didn't burn your bridges...  :D

Also, there is a residency requirement too, if I remember correctly.  Like in the case with US citizenship, you must live in Vietnam for an X number of years, before you are granted citizenship.  You might want to look into that really good, prior to taking the plunge.

Last but not least, as it stands right now, you must demonstrate a satisfactory level of Vietnamese proficiency and take a Vietnamese first name.  :lol:  Hey, don't give me s--t; I am just the messenger, I had nothing to do with these policies.  :D:rolleyes:  "Tam, cung khoe khong, cung?"  :unsure:thanks:

Like I have mentioned time and time again on here, get with the right people and you will overcome those obstacles with minimal efforts.  So, be nice to your ex-wife and make sure that this is what you want.

One more thing.  Forget about work now!  The US is the only first-world country that refuses to recognize multiple citizenships.  Man, that is the official line.  Of course, in practice, they keep a blind eye to those with multiple citizenships.  But, if you come over to Vietnam and start joining the People's Party or Army, dude, they will yank your US citizenship really fast.  Therefore, make sure that you are prepared for being Tam (8), for a foreseeable future.  :)

Best,
Howie

Thanks for the info. Main reason I want Emaly to have VN citizenship is to be able to attend VN schools. According to the 2009 law, it says I would be exempt from the residency (5 years) and language requirements due to being Emaly's father (still need to learn the language anyway just to live and do business there).

My ex and I are on very good terms; in fact one of her aunts is going to be my housekeeper / nanny and I am choosing a house close to all her relatives in GoVap so they can spend time with Emaly easily.

My desire for dual citizenship is to be able to open a business easier and eventually buy land to build a house. I read the law on taxation and believe that on a 'single member LLC' I would pay tax at the corp rate, which for a technology & software development company is 10% with a 4 year 'holiday' and an additional 9 years at 50% of the rate (5% tax).

In the US, all income from an LLC is treated as 'personal' income, but VN appears to treat it as corporate (I may be reading it incorrectly). If I am, then maybe I need to set up a true corporation ... then pay myself a smaller salary since VN personal income tax will cost me 35%.

Whatever the taxes end up, I have 'budgeted' for the 35% rate, so anything less will be a welcome bonus :)

Howie, I may be visiting Can Tho in October (a friend has a nephew there that is a mechanical engineer that I may hire) ... If I get down that way, I'd love to take you to dinner to pick your brain a bit on all things Vietnamese if you would be willing ... Thanks again.

John

Getting VN citizenship is not an easy task from what I have been reading.As with anything here, there are ways around everything, legally that is.

John,

I should be back to Vietnam by then.  Let me know a few days in advance, and I will hook you up.  I am currently in southern California.  If you happen to travel this way, drop me a line.  I will be here until mid-September.

You certainly sound like you have your bases covered, with your ex and her family.  That is a very good start.  Now, how far and fast will you achieve all of your goals depend on your level of trust in them and their abilities to network.

My suggestion to you, at this point, is the only thing that's clear in Vietnam is that everything is very murky.  Get some good people around you.  They can save you a lot of money and time. 

Best,
Howie

Thanks again Howie ... I appreciate the help. I look forward to meeting you. I'll send you a PM with all my contact info. If there is anything you need that I can help with let me know ... maybe a nice 'home automation / security system' for your home in Can Tho ;)

Thanks,

John

John,

That is very kind of you.  I am pretty sure I will need your help, once I get my little place put together.  I certainly don't want the thief that broke into my house and took my laptop to come back for second.  However, that is going to be awhile longer because I have been shuttling back and forth, Vietnam and the US, too much.

Home automation does sound good though...  Do you have anything in the realm of instant clean or instant food? 

Budman, don't tell me, "it's called the wife"!!!  :dumbom:

Howie

Feel sorry for the poor thief who risked his life for nothing. It is not like in the States where he can at least use the dammed junk as a door stopper.

Anatta,

For the first time, you are right:  my laptop was, indeed, a piece of junk.  Yet, the moron took it anyways.  The only thing of value was my contact file. 

Where have you been, man?  Got a job, yet?  Learned how do drive, yet?  Don't you miss Vietnam, me and the rest of the gang, now???

Miss Vietnam? Speak for yourself, dude.
I am actually in Saigon right now. Just for a few days though.
Jetlagged from a long flight from Washington DC.

still see that the old town has not gotten any better since I left.

Wild_1 wrote:

Anatta,

The only thing of value was my contact file.

Have you heard about backup? or Dropbox?

That WAS my backup, you fool!  :dumbom:

Anatta, why are you back in Vietnam so soon?  You missed me and Saigonmonkey, didn't you?

Wild_1 wrote:

John,

I should be back to Vietnam by then.  Let me know a few days in advance, and I will hook you up.  I am currently in southern California.  If you happen to travel this way, drop me a line.  I will be here until mid-September.

You certainly sound like you have your bases covered, with your ex and her family.  That is a very good start.  Now, how far and fast will you achieve all of your goals depend on your level of trust in them and their abilities to network.

My suggestion to you, at this point, is the only thing that's clear in Vietnam is that everything is very murky.  Get some good people around you.  They can save you a lot of money and time. 

Best,
Howie

You are so kind!

Thank you, Julie.  Sometimes, I wish that those Three Amigos are half as kind as I am...  http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif

Anatta, I am really getting a hang of these new-and-improved emoticons.  I even did all of this from my phone.  Good job, amigo!!!

Julien, wanna buy some cool emoticons???  http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif

Wild_1 wrote:

Thank you, Julie.  Sometimes, I wish that those Three Amigos are half as kind as I am...  http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif

Anatta, I am really getting a hang of these new-and-improved emoticons.  I even did all of this from my phone.  Good job, amigo!!!

Julien, wanna buy some cool emoticons???  http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif

What does this emoticon mean http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif

Hey Julie, what did you do to my cool emoticons???  Must return to the old ones...  :mad::dumbom:

Wild_1 wrote:

That WAS my backup, you fool!  :dumbom:

Anatta, why are you back in Vietnam so soon?  You missed me and Saigonmonkey, didn't you?

Dude. If you have only one copy, it is not called backup. It is called "I am f**cked, if I lose this".

Just left Vietnam. Had to tie up some loose ends, that was all.

Julie Bui wrote:

You are so kind!

Julie,
I like your sarcasm :top:. Keep working at it :lol:.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/guns/shooting-guns.gif Shut :up:, Anatta!!!

She is being straight.  No sarcasm!  :dumbom:

^See Julie. You are goooooooood.
Howie swallowed it hook, line, and sinker without even knowing it.

Hello guys -> Maybe we could come back to the initial topic now! :rolleyes:

Thank you,
Aurélie

[moderated: no free ad on the forum. Thanks.]

Mother,

It has been over 2 months.  Don't you have things to do?