Aussie moving to Bucharest - new member!

Hi All,

My partner & I are moving to Bucharest in two weeks from Jan Juc(on the Great Ocean Road)in Victoria after an intense 4 weeks of job interviews, emails and ploughing through technicalities.
We are very excited to moving but incredibly nervous - neither of us has been to Europe before!
We are in our mid to late forties and love adventures. We have six kids between us with five of them grown-up and living independently and the youngest is 16. He will not be coming with us but staying with his mum. Leaving him behind is the hardest decision we have to live with.
He is very excited though at coming over during school holidays etc!
I am not quite sure what I am going to do with myself over theer as I don't have a job at this stage...maybe a life of leisure!!!

Welcome aboard Expat.com and the forum Algernonaugustus

Relocating to another country outside our comfort zone is always a daunting thought. Many people go though this as some situations may be different than others. Some of us end of moving to a different country for work, to be with our partner who resides there, deciding to retire there..what ever the reason.

Never the less the thought of moving raises alot of questions in our mind. One way that can surely help, is by researching on the net as much information as possible.

I have seen such questions asked many time in the past, and this site is a good place to start. :)

You can click on this Link to Bucharest. It may have alot of questions already answered by others.

This Information on Bucharest may help too.

On the other hand, if there's questions you want to ask, post it up on the Bucharest forum and someone will come back with answers. ;)

Good luck with your move.. :)

Jaz :cool:

God bless you... his ways are mysterious...

Hi Algernonaugustus,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Your thread was moved to the Bucharest forum for better visibility.

Best wishes, :)

David.

Thanks David!  I am new to all of this...obviously that is where I should have put it in the first place!!!:)

Thanks Jaz :)

Hey
Bucharest is fairly easy to live in. Most people between 16 to 40 speak enough English to hold a conversation, my British friend who was born in Romania couldn't believe how much English he was hearing when we went to the old town together.
Taxis are easy to get and aren't expensive. So much so I barely use the public transport ... Unless its raining or snowing.
Movies are in the original language with Romanian subtitles.
Malls are nice.
The only real problem here is getting something official done.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Oh and I was gutted with the rugby results last at the weekend.
Linda

Thank you Linda, it sounds like getting our long stay visas done in Bucharest may be a long process then!

We are bringing very little with us so we will need to do quite a bit of shopping... can you recommend some good shops/shopping areas for clothes, groceries, small household items?

Hi Algernonaugustus,

I have two kids, a girl and a boy who are 9 and 11 years old. I'm a repat, we've been moving quite a few times, but now we're in Bucharest for at least 1 year and a half, so if you need playmates for your kids just let me know, I can as well help with some other issues you might have. Let me know when you arrive, I'll give you my phone number, feel free to call whenever you need help, I know how it is to move to a completely new place and not know anyone :)

Hi,
If you need some Romanian classes just to get you a bit accustomed feel free to contact me at
073011 71 72
Www.romanianteacher.ro

Ioana

Hi  Algernonaugustus

I am a Brit an arrived here last November, the professional language is recognised as English so u will have no worries, maybe a good idea to write an address down for a taxi driver though. Depends what your searching for but I would recommend that you join both Internations and Meet up groups, both are networking organisations for ex pats, the former being very business orientated, the latter does it all, whether socially sport or travelling,and of course you get to meet loads of people from all walks of life.
Unlike the other writer I prefer the Metro system assuming its near where u want to go, as that avoids the heavy traffic and sitting smoke filled taxis, (they also rarely have air cooling). The Metro is extremely efficient especially in rush hour which is a busy time like any city.
Bucharest is fascinating place, the Old Town is very lively at any time but especially at night, but the Herestrau Lake area is popular also in the evenings and daytime.
Get in touch if you wish when you arrive, or just come along to the groups I suggested.

Geof

Hi Geof,
I will certainly be in touch once we arrive. It will be nice to have a point of contact with other people who have similar experiences to us!