Dual citizenship to Croatia or Serbia? (I'm Australian)

*Posted in the Croatian forum too*

Ok, I hope I can get this to make sense.

Both my father and I are looking to get dual citizenship with Croatian or possibly Serbia with our Australian one.

-Both my father and I were born in Australia.
-Grandparents both born in Osijek, Croatia (Yugoslavia).
-Family lived in Yugoslavia for 150 years (1800-1950).

I recently went to the government department in Osijek Croatia and obtained both birth certificates for my grandparents. Once i was back in Australia I went spoke to the Croatian embassy and they notified that I couldnt get citizenship because the birth certificate says they were born in Yugoslavia, but not necessary Croatian. My family were Danubeswabians (ethnically Germans) but were born in Croatia and even voted in Croatia. Because of WW2, my family left Yugoslavia with no paperwork and became Australians soon after.

If my grandparents were born (and voted) in Croatian part of Yugoslavia, wouldnt that make them Croatian? If it doesnt make them Croatian, are they now classed as Serbian? I have only 1 remaining grandparent left (who doesnt hold a passport for any country) and Im trying to find a way to be able to spend more time in the Balkans without worrying about visas.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
AussieGuy83
Melbourne, Australia

Hi AussieGuy83,

Welcome to Expat-blog.

I wish you good luck with the informations you are seeking. Hope members of expat-blog would be able to help you out.

Thank you

Maximilien

I am also looking in to getting a dual citizenship of both Australia and Serbia.

My dad migrated to Australia after serving his time in the Yugoslav military. So you have made me nervous now because I think all my dads paperwork will state that he is from Yugoslavia although his area is now classified as Serbia.

I'm going to ring our Serbian consulate here in Australia and hope they can help me.

You should try ringing the Croatian consulate, its their job to help you!!

Hello,
I wish you the best of luck. I am an American woman living in Serbia with my Serb hubby. He got all the paper work done for me, which took quite a long time and the paper work was time consuming. Only slightly costly in comparison to the costs in the U.S. We had to send off my passport, eventually got it back with a long term visa kind of thing inside. The processes here are like what you hear about in Russia with the out dated laws going back to communistic times. Maybe you could just cross borders periodically to get the 90 day extension or maybe they don't do that anymore? I would check on that.. and I would contact the Serbian Embassy with the same info you posted. Depending on where you want to spend your time, what you want to spend your time doing and where you want to spend your Aussie bucks maybe they can help.

Also, things may change in Croatia as they are joining the EU at the end of the month. Check on that.
I can ask my mom in law later to see if you know anything that may help. she used to work in the City hall and is full of info.
Srecan put! & and Good luck.

hi ...

You can got serbian citizenship, if you have Serbian origin or if you have evidence that your Family lived in Yugoslavia, but part of EX YU whic today is Serbia.

Of course, if you married with Serbian woman and lives in Serbia, you can applay for Serbian citizenship.

But, you just want to see ex Yu, with Australin passport you dont need visas required for visits of up to 90 days.

Srecno!!!

I feel you man. Before my mum gave birth to me, she had gone to a lawyer and talked with him whether she should do it in Serbia or Australia and she was told she shouldn't even consider giving birth in Australia because I would get an Australia citizenship in no time since I'd be living there and I would hardly get a Serbian one so she did it in Serbia. It's really hard to get a Serbian citizenship no matter whether someone of your parents or grandparents are from Serbia. The problem with Yugoslavia is that the country doesn't exist any longer and nowadays Croatia or Serbia is not the country where they were born. It's really [Moderated]. You should hire a lawyer who's experienced with international law.

Good luck with it mate!