Potential move to doha

I have an offer of employment in Doha, a very good package.  my problem is that my wife is not on board because of what she read at the u.s. dept of state website regarding security risks, dicey police actions, and employer control over work visa and rights to leave the country.  she's also concerned about how westerners, especially women are treated
i'd appreciate your comments you impart good and bad would be appreciated.

Thanks, bill

Hello Bill.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

thanks aurelie.  any comments on my psot?

Hello weschipske.

I've never been to Qatar. I can't help you, sorry.
But I hope other members will share some informations with you. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi weschipske,

I have only been here in Doha for a couple months, so cant contribute too much from my experience.

About airport checks and whatnot, I have a Spanish passport and had no trouble whatsoever at customs. They asked me to look at the camera, took a photo and stamped my passport, and that was all there was to it.

As for western women here, it all really depends on the places you frequent. I often eat in cheap restaurants run by south asians, and the crowd there is usually male. Once, a group of young girls came in and the whole venue turned to look at them like if they had never seen a woman before! It was pretty sad really. That being said, I also went to a more decent restaurant (ended up paying almost 300 Qatar Riyals for 4 people, which isn't all that much for UK standards, but is quite a bit here in Qatar). People there were very different, more westernised to say the least. A group of beautiful girls were seated next to us without a worry in the world, they werent covered or anything.

All in all, you both should be perfectly fine as long as your wife doesnt stroll around in a mini skirt or a pair of very short shorts. I realise thats not an issue in the US (or UK even), but its just the way it is here.

As for rights to leave, I cant say yet as I havent done it. Hope all this helps :)

1. To be honest, there are security risks in this part of the world, with current threats and new ones emerging periodically, you have to accept that if you come here. But, the US Embassy will give you tips about 'how to be safe' (really its mostly common sense) as well as contacts for what to do in case of an emergency situation. In general I would say that westerners are reasonably safe here in Qatar.

2. Don't know what police actions you are talking about - can you give more information?

3. Your employer will control YOUR visa, but not your wife's. So, to leave the country you require permission from your employer as they will have to approve your travel in order for you to get an exit visa to leave the country. Your wife however will be here on a family visa sponsored by yourself - as such she is free to leave Qatar anytime she likes, without an exit visa, although you will probably get a text to say that she is going, and if you have children, it is best to have a letter from you to say that she can take them from the country. She needs a re-entry visa to come back.

4. How women are treated - that depends on many things, including how well your wife copes with any potential attention. It is like anywhere, different people treat you in different ways - some will be very friendly and happy to speak to you - others will appear as aloof, but in fact are dealing with you in a respectful islamic manner (won't touch, speak, look at you). Others, mostly young men (late teens/early 20s) and/or workers from Asian/subcontinent/Africa who are single and have been here awhile will leer and may speak to tell you how beautiful you are or ask if you are married or for your phone number. Male workers in government departments or companies etc are (in my experience) always helpful and in fact it is often to your advantage here to play the 'helpless/dumb woman' as it opens doors to the most efficient way to get things done (my husband hates that it takes me 1hr to get something done that takes him half a day! A friend recently got her 6000QR traffic fine reduced to 1500QR by doing this). You will also come across those men that will consider you to be 'beneath' them, but in all honesty that is often because you are an expat, not because you are a woman, they treat men in that way too.

If she has any specific questions then feel free to send me a message.

hello Bill....although i live in jakarta....with potential move to doha....i dont think your wife would have any problem in there....i would say once you guys settled...you will all love it...

The place is really secure. Hardly any crime. Keep your nose clean and you'll never get involved with the police. Women often get considerable unwanted harassment from both single and married Arabs in bars. The Sponsorship system with exit permits and non-objection certificates is unavoidable. The application of the employment laws is dependant on the benevolence or otherwise of your employer - and I work for one of the worst - I work 6 days a week, get no leave in the first year, and have been forced to work national holidays or else - and I'm white collar. READ THE EMPLOYMENT LAW to understand what are your rights and make sure your contract is very clearly written. As for Doha itself I have yet to meet anyone who actually wants to be here.