Cost of living...

Is it possible to live in the Puerto Plata area of DOM-REP, for a family of 5 (dominican wife who is definitely frugal) with an income of $32000.00 A year.roughly $2600 a month?

Yes if you are very careful with your money, use local products, don't go out lots, look for housing very carefully, etc. But yes it is doable.

Bob K

Thanks Bob , we plan on being very local as my wife is dominican,we already have a car that is paid for (5 years old)we don't party much and a fun day for us would be at a park or the beach as a family.

You should do just fine.

Bob K

I agree. I lived in Puerto Plata for 7 years and that is very doable.  One question - do you plan to use public or private schools for the kids???? Assuming they are school age.

Well , only one is school aged, 1st grade to be exact, 2 year old and a 10 month old. I will obtain another $11000.00 a year in 6 plus years, i just wanna make sure it's doable.

Private school.

I think it will be.

You do not need to worry

Thanks ....Serbon.  I Hope that it is enough to sustain  on.

Here is some price
This is averige price in area Puerto Plata-Sosua-Cabarete
Because here is touristic zone apartments and houses for rent are mostly furnished.( Puerto Plata offer unfurnished accommodation)
Price depend of course is short or long term.Long term is more of 3-4 month.For stay more than 1 year you can negotiate.
Long term apartments in private house are cheaper 70-100$ than gated comunity(manager,staff,security gards etc)
1 bdrm------500$-600$ all inclusive( some without one of them) (gas,cable,elect,internet,grey whater,eventually maid)
2 bdrm------550$-700$
Houses unfurnished 2-3 bdrm in good neighborhood you can rent between 400-500$ plus extras.( Has possibility for less but in that case you will be exposed-lack of infrastructure,noise,lack of security.Yours Dominican wife cannot protect you from thievs.
Monthly
Gas--10$,Electricity 30-50$ ( Without AC),
Internet 30-50$ depend of speed,garbage disposal 10-15$,cleaning lady 5-7$  per cleaning.
When you rent accommodation you have to look closely:
-Is there electricity back up(generator,inverter with batteries)
-Is there whater pump or Tinaco(whater tank on house roof)
-Is there mosquito net for windows
-Do you have enough ceilling fans
-Do you have any protection such as-metal bars,alarm,high wall   around property etc.( Normal precaution, leter on less headache.
I never had problems here for 6 years but always you have to have on mind that you could be potential target-rich gringo)
Food
My wife does all of the cooking at home.We pay for grocery monthly 300$ for two of us.European kitchen.If you prepare more localy meals will be significantly less.
Buget Restaurants ( German,Italian)
Meal--8-12$,Soft drink 1.2-1.5$,Local beer 2.2$(store 1$),
Bottle of wine(Chile,Argentina)-25$ (store 8-9$)
Local restaurant Tipico Dominicano(Chicken,beef,pork with different types of rice) 4-4.5$ (Good)
Pizza-----7-11$ large one.
Good luck and bienvenidos

Serbon good post and welcome to the forum

Bob K

Welcome to the forum Serbon, very good detailed post.

As he indicated you have  choices!  In Puerto Plata you will find less expensive accommodation then in the Sosua area.  Puerto Plata is a much bigger town and has lots of options!

I think you will be just fine on the income you have.

I would like to thank everyone, especially Serbon for the detailed Cost of living assessment for the Puerto Plata area.As far as the crime, i'm not worried because the crime rate in this country is 50 times worse. You just have to be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Its the same here, you always need to be aware!

Key points are be aware and don't be stupid

Bob K

Another point I will raise - remember that everyone else knows what you are doing.  As expats it seems that everyone everywhere knows exactly what is going on in our lives.  They know where we go, what we do and who we go with.

You are judged here by what you do and who you do it with!

Good point Planner. I have had people come up to me and comment on something we did or went and I hardly know them.

First time at the gas station filling up after my accident the attendant asked me how my leg was.  He had not seen me in 10 weeks but he knew what had happened....It is a very small world here.  Always watch what you say to or about others.

Bob K

Thanks planner and you too bob k , I appreciate the advice that you guys gave me. I'm definitely going to be mindful of my surroundings and for the most part, spend time with the wife and kids and also the inlaws from time to time. I'll try to find a good neighborhood with electricity and running water to rent before I buy something.

I was just down in puerto plata last week, with the wife and kids, my wife knows her country very well. She said the same thing to me Bob. Watch what you say and don't talk about anyone.

Great advice to live by :)

Bob K

its very doable on 32,000 per year.  most dominicans are way below that income.. granted its not much but its doable.. is doable a real word?? jajajaja

as far as not talking to people its the same in USA as here. if you have nothing good to say be quiet.  We do not talk to many people on the street unless we know them..

That is not the same as here. One of the things I LOVE about this country is the friendliness.  I just came back from a walk in the neighborhood and I spoke to at least 15 different people, some I know and many I do not know.  Smiles and hellos are normal here!  Longer conversations are always possible and often welcome.

ok that is you.. I am married to a dominican and i follow the families advice. We do not live in the tourist areas or where  foreign people live. Maybe you do. in fact many people do not go down our street unless they are known. in fact most times its blocked off with vehicles at night

Yes Dominicans are very freindly but you can't be naive either.
even dominicans do not trust all dominicans. even some famiy members to, so while yes they are fiendly I still stand by my original statement. if you have nothing good to say keep quite, same as in usa. If you want to talk to strangers that is fine. I am not talking about not saying hello but to have conversations with them well i would be careful... our family has been here generations and i listen..

I agree,  you cannot be naive here! That gets you nothing but trouble.  I prefer the middle class Dominican areas to the tourist areas as well.

But for me, I am outgoing and friendly and I guess that is what I attract in return.

I LOVE living here.

yes nothing wrong with being out going and friendly. I also love it here and love the people as well.

Same for me, I find folks here a lot more friendly than back in the states.  But like everywhere be careful as to who you let into your "circle"

Bob K

Hello again.... first of all my circle is very small here in the USA. I plan on spending more time with my wife an kids and to also get to know my inlaws better. I don't plan on buying a house for at least another 5 years. I appreciate all the advice from all, ( Planner, Bob K , Serbon). I have already made up my mind that i'm ready to move to the DOM-REP. My wife and kids just seem to be happier there than here in the USA. BTW.... I retired last June 2012 and the only reason that I did'nt move down there last year was that my mother had taken ill. I will move there next year in june if not sooner and once again thank you to all who gave me the real advice that I needed.

thanks for the update!!!!! We are here to help when we can.

Update for cost of living in Santo Domingo - I just rented myself a house, middle class neighborhood, 24/7 electricity,  3 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, lots of closets, office,  outdoor covered patio,  really nice kitchen (opening for a cooking man to share with) and "servants" quarters,  covered parking and a YARD all for the  sum of US $545 per month!!!!!

I move the end of July and will keep you updated on the progress.  Maybe I will start a thread outlining the process of looking, negotiating, apply,  paying for, utilities, moving and settling in here!!!!

Accepting volunteers for move day..........LOL

Sounds pretty good. What about security?

Bob K

Hey Bob,  the house has fabulous security - everything gated, barred and good solid locks,  in a very good neighborhood. AND I have a dog!  Across the street is a 4 story apartment with 24 hour security, previous owners have agreement with them to watch the house, I will do the same. PLUS my friends parents live 2 houses down and they have already been watching out for me and I don't live there yet.......lol

Sounds like your are set.  Good luck with the move and the new digs.

Bob K

Thanks Bob. I am sure it will go fine -said NO ONE ever in this country..........of course something will go wrong, not be what was expected...... etc.....lol

See you have lived her long enough to understand the workings of the world here.

Bob K

Oh yes I have.  And I am a realist, I do not wear rose colored glasses, I take things for what they actually are........

New Thread started!

Congratulations Planner , and thanks for sharing your experience with us.