Relocating to Gib. in August

Hi,

I moved from the UK to the Netherlands in 2001 with my family, to work in the IT industry there. Since then my two sons have left home and now live in Amsterdam/The Hague.

Living costs have risen a lot over the years and with taxation at around 50% its getting impossible to survive financially.

I have a friend who has been in business in Gibraltar for the past 15 years and he suggested that I should find work in the On-line gaming industry over in Gib.

My wife and I came over for a couple of weeks in April to take a look around and do some networking (we are both Scout leaders and the local Scout leader was very welcoming), plus visiting several of the local recruitment agencies where they were all very positive about the prospects that I would find a good job there.

My wife has work in Gib with my friend and also does special needs teaching - a visit to the Dept. of Education indicated that supply work should also be available.

We have found renters for our house in the Netherlands from the beginning of August so even though I have not found work for myself we have decided to move over - I hope this will be easier once there rather than being somewhat remote in NL.

We are still deciding weather to rent just across the border or stay at one of my friends apartments in Gib.

I would be interested in comments from other Expats who have made the move already.

Mike.

Renting Gib or Spain

Gib is more expensive than Spain but there will be little traveling time or cost.

Spain, if you rent near Gib, La Linea, some areas are grim. The nicer areas tend to be further away from Gib which equates to travelling time, plus the necessity of having your own transport plus cost.

We moved in 2011 and have never looked back.

We looked at some of the Spanish towns that have a lot of Brits and whilst they were nice, they didn't exactly feel real. Where as Gibraltar does, its a melting pot of people and cultures, so there is always something to see and do. However if you speak Spanish there are some amazing places close by, that are slightly more remote. I would say live in Gib for six months and explore Spain, if it takes your fancy move over. I know a lot of people who have moved into Spain only to come back again.
My reason for living here, is my hatred of traffic jams, That border queue can go on for hours and hours, and one of the things we wanted to leave behind was hideous traffic! Lol.

As for finding work once you get here, the iGaming industry is huge here, depending on what area you want to work in, there are always jobs!
If you have registered with agencies already my top tip would be hound them! In person and on the phone! Also apply directly to the gaming companies, they all have a section on their sites that show what vacancies they have. There is also a big finance and legal sector that offer different roles within IT, so you could look there too!

Good luck :-)

Thanks for the suggestions, I am already hounding the job agencies as well as developing other business opportunities in Gib.

At the moment we have the choice between a 3 bedroom apartment in Devils Tower Road, on 8th floor with no air-co and out side space or balconies or to rent a Penthouse apartment in Alcaidesa with views of the coast, terraces and private jacuzzi with shared pool - it will be difficult to convince us not to take the one in Spain even with the border crossing each day.

The next question is about getting transport, at the moment we have a company car in the Netherlands, but it will have to go back when we leave - where would be the best place to purchase a something second hand (less than 10 years old) to run around in? Cars a quite pricey in the Netherlands compared to the UK and I know nothing about the market in Spain or cost of re-registering.

If you decide to live in Spain you will not be able to own a Gibraltar registered car.
Spanish cars are fairly expensive but the hastle of reregistering in Spain makes bringing one with you a pain.
Insurance on a Spanish car is much more expensive than a Gib one.

Alcaidesa is a little out of the way unless you have your own transport.

BritontheRock is correct, take a short term let in Gib whilst exploring all the possibilities.

Grumpy

Hi Mike

I moved to Gib 18 months ago and I spent a long time looking for employment.  I finally registered with several agenies and one of them, Recruit Gibraltar actually managed to find me a placement.  They seem to have jobs in the IT and on-line gaming side which would probably suit your search.

They have a small office just off Irish Town behind the Police Station.  Perhaps you should contact them and see what they have on their books.

Good luck and well done to your wife for getting a job already!

Jess

Hi Jess,

I am registered with sever agencies in Gib and I met up with Recruit Gibraltar on my visit a short while ago, we spent some time working on my CV and they were confident I should find a good job in on-line gaming, although it might take a month or two before something really good comes up!

Mike.