Benifits of moving to panama

I have visited Panama twice and had a great time.  I met many really nice people, but I was wondering what the benefits are as far as living there.  These are my concerns.
1.  the police force is small and underpaid.  Most crimes go unreported because victims don't feel reporting them will do any good, so you are pretty much on your own.  At 63 years old, that's a concern.
2. thanks to so many foreigners moving into the country, prioes are going up quick, so, where is the economical advantage?

To me, it sounds like living in Panama will cost you maybe a little less than the states, but along with that, you will need to be ready to pretty much defend yourseld should a problem occur.  Now I am a very fit senior and can take care of myself, but that won't always be the case.

I certainly don't mean to put down Panama.  These problems are the same througout both Central and South America, as well as the Carribean.  Moving to any of these areas is a risk, and most end up with no serious problems, but many do.

It seems to me that only the desperate move to these regions.  Others with better financial means, moves elsewhere.  It seems ironic that people with limited income move to these places that consider them rich, only ending up being taken advantage of, even they a poor by American standards.

Tampa, eh? We moved here from Sarasota. I know what you mean about the cost of California too. We just visited my daughter there and were shocked at how expensive everything is there.

Benefits? Oh my, this could get long :D We live in David and are so happy here. Even if the money was the same we would want to be here.

Our cost of living is about 1/3 of what it was in Florida. http://thepanamaadventure.com/information.html#journey  Of course it depends on where you live here. Panama City is very expensive. Rural areas can be very cheap. Here you'll find links to a couple blog posts I wrote about what we spend. (and if you scroll around the page you'll find links too all sorts of things about our life here)

I feel safer here than I did in the US. At first I was uneasy about the police and security everywhere, but in time you realize it's because they do not want any problems. If you park your car there will be a security guard in the parking lot to keep an eye on it. If you go to the cable company to pay your bill there is an armed guard at the door, and at the door of any other business that has cash on hand. If you have a problem the police will help you the same as they would in the US. Neighbors also look out for each other in a way I've never seen in the US. A truck came to our house one day earlier than expected and had to wait for us, and every neighbor came out to ask them what they were doing here! Of course, like anywhere, you want to have common sense -  good relationships with your neighbors, don't look like a rich gringo target, don't go to certain places alone at night. etc.

Health care is far better and much cheaper than in the US. I'm a nurse - 34 years, so I know of what I speak. Dental care is equally good and inexpensive.

Food is excellent. It's not full of chemicals, and produce is ripened in the field. We buy fish from the fishermen, and chicken that is locally produced.

The country is gorgeous. There are beaches, mountains, and everything between. You can find a warm or cooler climate as you prefer, but you never have to worry about anything freezing.

Infrastructure is good - the roads are good, internet in widely available and free in many public places. There is cell phone coverage everywhere.

The country is peaceful and prosperous. Growth is everywhere - new roads, new buildings. It is so different from the depressed US we have knows for far too many years.

We're close enough to the US to get back to see family when we want without traveling half way around the world.

No hurricanes! You would appreciate that. No tornadoes, no anything. The biggest problems here are flooding in some areas when it rains too much, and an occasional earthquake. I have heard that the plates slide over each other instead of butt up against each other, so earthquakes are mild without serious destruction.

But, the biggest thing for us is the people. These are kind, gentle, happy, loving people, outgoing and friendly. Their priorities are different - family, friends, enjoying life. You are more free to do what you want, and they don't sweat the small stuff. You feel respected and valued here.

What don't we have? Mail service is pain. You need to use a mail service which is a bit expensive, and it can still take 1-3 weeks to get something.
Language - you really need to speak at least some Spanish or it will be hard to get by, and you will be missing out on the people and the chance to be part of the culture.

Oh, and last, they really respect old people here. My husband's mother was with us for a while and I saw how others looked at her and treated her. It's quite different, and I'll be happy to grow old here.

As you can tell, we are really happy here! It isn't so for everyone though, so you have do your own homework and decide what you need to be happy.