Moving to colombia

I want to make sure I have this right.  If I decide to retire to beautiful Colombia, I will be fine if:
1.  I stay away from all the border areas
2.  don't live or drive to small villages that are not secure
3.  don't live in villages in the mountains because the FARC and others are still active.
4.  accept the fact that occasional bombings in resturants, etc., will occur.
5.  where foreigners are still looked at as rich, thus targets for kidnappings, robberies, etc.

I guess if I can be ok with this, Colombia is for me.

Like most people my age, I am looking for new adventures, experiencing new cultures and thoughts, and a quiet and peaceful life.

Hi Palmtree,

You are right with these although I'd suggest #4 is not a huge concern.

I can only give my own experience here.

I've lived in Bucaramanga, Santander for 18 months now and have traveled around a few of the "safer" parts of the country. We've had absolutely no problems of security at all. We do however take plenty of care and avoid risky places and situations.

You might find it hard to find a quiet and peaceful life in the cities here though!

My good man, if you want to live down here (Colombia) and really live it right you must take a passion to learning Spanish.

This suggestion is from my experience and observation of many foreigners (extranjeros)  that I see either getting ripped off or not paying attention to the way things just "are" here in Colombia.

This knowledge of Spanish and the ability to speak it is your golden key to everything much cheaper and moving more freely throughout Colombia without being scathed by greed here.

I also highly recommend you learn the pricing of things.  In other words you will want to avoid getting ripped for things as simple as food, rent, etc...  if its anything close to what you were paying in the USA it is a sham of sorts or "gringo pricing".

Not to sound like a party killer because I enjoy my life here but I see this happen and have intervened a few times to help people because I speak English and Spanish.

As far as finding that peaceful and quiet spot I have to disagree with rob_d.  I live in a beautiful, quite and peaceful neighborhood that is safe and a beautiful view in the hillside. I'm young and I like the party scene but the party here in certain barrios lasts till 6am and I like to sleep. 

If you have any questions friend feel free to ask away! Don't forget to recommend my post!

HI i am New Delhi, INDIA. I have been looking to stay in Colombia for a long time but never got a chance yet..now i have started learning spanish language online and i talk with my friends from colombia also and now want to learn spanish from colombia because i believe they have the neutral accent in the spanish speaking world. please suggest me which visa will be good for me in case if i decide to live in colombia even after the expiry of my student visa..wil i be able to extend my student visa or is there some way to extend my period of stay or may be would like to be a permanent resident of that country. soo i my concern on what visa i should come on and will it be possible to work with english language because i am still learning spanish ..i just know basic spanish...please guide me ...i am in a need of some good advises. please dont hesitate to add me om my skype: loveislife30