New girl in Cebu City

Hi everybody! I'm Renee, an Australian girl from Melbourne, now living in Cebu City.

I am the daughter of a Filipina mother and Australian father and grew up in Oz. I have been to the Philippines twice before in my life: once on a family trip at 12-years-old, and last year on a getaway with my partner. I feel a strong connection to my mother's country and have returned here to get to know my family and my heritage.

I've been here three weeks - the majority of my time so far has been taken up with family visits (I have relatives in Southern Leyte and Manila), then I was in Cebu City scouting a place to call home.

I am hoping to be here 6 months and teach English (ESL or IELTS) while learning about Philippine culture, meeting people, getting to know family, learning Cebuano, and travelling around a bit. I am also going to try to get my Philippine passport, as my mother was a Philippine citizen at the time of my birth and I am entitled to dual citizenship.

I feel a little weird as I haven't met anybody in my exact situation yet... But nonetheless I am hoping to make a few friends in Cebu City (as well as other places!). So please feel free to say hi!

Nice to meet you all :)

" HI "

how r u, i am also an Expat from India came to Manila as Office Internal Transfer.

feel free to PM me anytime u pass by Makati !!!

Cheers

Welcome Renee, I am actually not there yet, but am coming in August and marring my beautiful filipina widow in September.

Blessing,

Ralph

Renee,

If you have not done so yet, you should be able to apply to secure your dual citizenship while still in Oz. I would check on that with your nearest Philippine Embassy / Consulate.

I have lived in Cebu for a very, very long time. I love it more than any other city in the country.

Paul

Hi Renee!

Hope all is well and you're enjoying Cebu... You'll meet lots of expats out here and actually quite a few auzzies... We have a decent group of expats out here that usually head out for drinks on the weekends if you are looking to meet some new people...

Ciao for now,

J

Don't want to "steal the thread", but I will also be in Cebu soon! I will be there from September onwards. I have just recently made reservations to rent a house on Mactan Island, Lapu-Lapu :)

Would be nice to meet some fellow expats :)
Regards,
Rune

Hey there!  Welcome to another ESL Teacher! :)

I"m Sean and I've been here for 4 years!

sean

Thanks Shaun! This week was my very experience teaching ESL (as in, my first time in a classroom EVER). Tell me, did you feel like walking in front of a jeepney after your first week as well? :blink:

Thanks everyone! By the way, J - I'm there! Name the time and place and I'll try to join you guys :)

ha ha ha.........I was working in a kids camp at first.......and yes.....that was crazy!!  I'm so happy to teach adults now! ;)  Let's meet up for coffee and we can talk shop!  Perhaps I can help in some way with lessons and such!  Are you teaching adults or kids?  I used to teach at MTM but teach at CIA now.   Yes...I'm a member of the C.I.A......ha ha ha

hello Renee , im Enzoo a True blue Cebuano but sadly im not in cebu right now as i am working here in Dubai . hope you already meet lots of friendly cebuanos out there

Welcome to the forum!

Are you still in Cebu? If so Im heading there on the 13th of FEB; Im trying to get acquainted with folks before I arrive to have an idea of where to live in Cebu.