Do the poor street signs make it hard to navigate around Malta

I've visited Malta many times but one problem I've always had is that I never really knew how to get around the area by myself. Its partly because I have a bad sense of direction and also because I've never tried to go places by myself when I was younger so I was never forced to learn the roads. However, another reason is because I've noticed that the street signs were very poorly displayed. In the city where I live, every time two streets intersect one another there are always signs that show the name of the two streets. However, I noticed that in Malta, the street name is only printed at the beginning of the street so if you are on a road but not at the beginning of it, you wouldn't know the name of the road you are on.  It seems that even the people who live in Malta don't know the names of many streets they use either. For example, my father spent the first twenty years of his life in Gozo and visits it often so he knows how to get around the island. However, when I asked him what the name of a road is, most of the time he doesn't know, even though it is a main road that he has used many times before. In my city, it is almost impossible for somebody to use a major road or highway often and not know the name of it. 
    I realized that if you don't know the name of the street you are on, it makes maps or asking for directions very difficult. Let's pretend you look at a map and it tells you to travel north on Road A, turn right on Road B, and then turn left on Road C and go straight until you reach you destination. What good is the map if you have no street sign to tell you where Road A,B, or C is located. You may also ask someone for directions and they may know the way but how do they explain it to you if they don't know the street names. What would they say. "Go straight on the windy road and turn right on the hilly road. Then when you see the ugly house make a left on the next street until you get to your destination." On the plus side, I noticed that there are many signs all over Malta that indicate the directions of many nearby towns so it seems that you can easily locate the town that you want to get to but once you get there you will have a hard time finding the specific street. Have these street signs bothered anybody else and if so is there a trick to finding your way around Malta?

No its never bothered me - but then I have a very good directional sense and have never used a satnav either, sadly the missus doesnt. Just a map and an acute sense of shapes and road directions. Thats not to say it cant be puzzling but you can generally recognise something, In the early days I always asked for recognizable objects/buildings etc.

but you soon learn the way round.

I'm using a GPS navigation system and therefore have no problems with locations and street names - and never got lost :)

When I was first on Malta in 1978, I was told that many people did not go out of their respective Parishes and I could believe that!
Also I have never remembered the street names of where I lived for nearly 25 years in the UK, so it's no surprise to me that people do not remember street names. They know where they are and how to get somewhere without needing to know. Also, let's face it, men just don't/can't or want to ask for directions at the best of times!! :)

I use a combination of sense of direction, maps, sat nav and unlike many men, I ask. Direction of satellite dishes also gives a general sense of what direction south is.

the street signs dont make it hard to navigate around Malta, The Drivers and Roads do :)

Just Kidding, the street signs are ok, and as said above a good map will help, there is an A - Z Map book you can get that is brilliant.

Julian

I drive by the sun in the daytime - at night I rely on the father and holy ghost, plus the spirits.

georgeingozo wrote:

I drive by the sun in the daytime - at night I rely on the father and holy ghost, plus the spirits.

:cheers:

Actually I think it is a bit confusing somtimes when you look up a street and on google it shows the maltese name and then in the street there is only a sign with an english name. Especially my wife has difficulties with that.

Other than that in our new car we got a GPS and there is the same problem and moreover the GPS obviously has such an old Software (wonderous when you buy a new car) that i have already driven into one-way street 3 times!! and sometimes it takes you to places where there is no street to go through (near Pavi i had this problem when it took me through the horse stables and there is no exit)

Better use a map in the beginning, after some time you know the places anyways.

GPS+Commonsense

I have a little Satnav
It sits there in my car
A Satnav is a driver's friend
It tells you where you are
I have a little Satnav
I've had it all my life
It's better than the normal ones
My Satnav is my wife

It gives me full instructions
Especially how to drive
"It's thirty miles an hour", it says
"You're doing thirty five"
It tells me when to stop and start 
And when to use the brake
And tells me that it's never ever
Safe to overtake
It tells me when a light is red
And when it goes to green
It seems to know instinctively 
Just when to intervene 
It lists the vehicles just in front
And all those to the rear 
And taking this into account 
It specifies my gear. 

I'm sure no other driver
Has so helpful a device 
For when we leave and lock the car
It still gives its advice 
It fills me up with counselling 
Each journey's pretty fraught
So why don't I exchange it 
And get a quieter sort? 
Ah well, you see, it cleans the house, 
Makes sure I'm properly fed,
It washes all my shirts and things 
And - keeps me warm in bed!
Despite all these advantages
And my tendency to scoff,
I do wish that once in a while 
I could turn the bugger off.

Anon

I must be the only one that uses a bus and walks to where I want to be, if all else fails, find the nearest bus stop and head back to Valetta ....

Chardor wrote:

I must be the only one that uses a bus and walks to where I want to be, if all else fails, find the nearest bus stop and head back to Valetta ....

No, you're not.

:)

I recently found out that the name of those street signs are called odonym. It seems that a navigation device  might be helpful and I might consider getting one. I agree that once you know a place well, you don't need a odonym. If the odonyms were taken  down where I live,  I would still be able to get  to my home and my work since I've lived there all my life. However, odonyms are not made for the people that know the area. They're made for the people that are new to the area and want to use them as reference for a map.  I understand why the natives in Malta would not have any problem with the odonyms since they've lived in Malta all of their lives and would know the area well. I just find it strange that the people who moved to Malta don't have a problem with them especially the ones that don't use a navigation device.  For example, recently a man asked me how to get to a hospital and I told him to go straight, turn right on Lakeville Road, and keep walking until you see the hospital. If I didn't know the name of Lakeville Road then I don't know how I would have given him directions.
I suppose that we have a different way of looking at directions. While I and many people in New York try to pay attention to street names and give directions that uses them as reference, the people in Malta pay more attention to buildings and landmarks but there are two problems with using that method. First of all, when you use a software to get directions like Google or Mapquest, they give you directions using street names, not landmarks so if you can't find the odonyms then you won't be able to follow their directions. The second problem with using landmarks to guide you is that there isn't always a landmark near your destination. For example, what if you were giving directions and you wanted somebody to turn left on a road. If there happened to be a McDonalds before the road then you could tell the person to turn left after they see the McDonalds.  However, what if there was nothing before the road but houses or fields? I am not trying to say that it is impossible to learn how to navigate around Malta. I'm sure we could all learn if we lived there long enough. I'm just saying that it might be slightly easier if they put up more odonyms. Would anybody agree with that statement?

in answer - i recognise road layout on maps - and i do so very well at it.

A lot of this depends upon an individual's preferred learning style, be they visual, audio or kinaesthetic learners (to put in to basic terms/groups).

No 'one size' will ever fit all.

Me? I'm brilliant at reading maps, have a very keen sense of direction and only have to go a place once, to be able to remember the location and route. (I have driven Lynn mad over the years, being able to do this.) :)

Find your way around on a bike (motor or pedalled).

http://www.visordown.com/product-news/h … 22900.html

My husband has learned to navigate around Malta, without a map, as there are few major roads that go from north to south and east to west. It's when we get into a village that the SATNAV, me, using the A-Z is needed. Signs at cross roads are invaluable in finding one's way and of course church domes, towers and roundabouts, which we use to find direction signs. And of course driving very slowly.