Teaching in Dalat

Hi
If you are working (teaching) and living in Dalat, I would love to know what it is like, the advantages and disadvantages.
I was there a few years ago, and after quite a few years of travelling in Asia, it seems like a very pleasant place to live and work.
Any information and/or opinions are most welcome.
Thank you
Colin Alexander

Hello Colin Alexander,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Maybe you can tell us more about you? When are you coming to Da Lat?

Hope other members will share their experience with you very soon.

All the best,
Christine

Hi Christine
Thank you for your email.It was very welcome.
At present, I have no definite plans on coming to Dalat but when I was there a few years ago, I really liked the place.
I am an experienced English teacher and am wondering about living and working in Dalat.
Any further information is most welcome.
Best wishes
Colin Alexander

hello mr Colin!
i am glad to know that you love and want to live in Dalat.i'm not Dalat's resident but i go there sometime.that's great city to live,expecially for older.i live in Baoloc city,may you know

Hi,
I am living in Da Lat. I give you some informations:
- If you want to stay in Da Lat. You have best choice. It's nice view, quiet, peaceful and friendly. The weather is good for your health. For food, you can enjoy green vegetable and fresh food.
- For working, you can teach English in language center or if you want to make bussines you can open restaurant or souvenir shop.
For me, If you like quiet and unpolluted environment. Come to stay in Da Lat.
Hope you have good choice for your happy life.
Thanh Tu

Hi Thanh Tu

Good info you have there. For a foreigner to set up a small business would not be possible am I right to say that? How can we then go about setting up one?

There is a University in DaLat isn't it? Will they take in foreigner to teach there?

thanks in advance.
viper

Hi,
There are some University in Da Lat. I am not sure but they always have exams before they accept you teaching in University. I think you should go to Da Lat and contact them. There are a lot of chances for you
Thanh Tu

Hello Everyone.
Im interested in living and teaching English in Dalat.
I have a TEFL and 2 years teaching experience.
Currently on in HCMC.
Is accomm available there, like 1bdrm apartments?
I going to be there for tat week off in febuary.

Greg

Hey Greg,

In Dalat, there are a few English centres. However, in terms of jobs, it seems very limited with jobs. You could contract work and win, DaLat Academy, American Academy, and busy bee and get some ideas. Or private message me and I will gave you direct contacts.  I used to teach english before in Dalat, therefore, understand the system.

In terms of rentals, there are houses/apartment available. You could get anything from 250 USD to 450 USD (depending on quality of construction and location). Currently, I have one serviced apartment with 1 bedroom and den for 450 USD, completely furnished, with once a week cleaning. If you are interested in viewing pictures of the place- let  me know.

Hi Kiwigreg,
                   I am wondering if you got to Danang to teach? I have TEFL and a few months teaching in Thailand. I prefer Vietnamese. Any observations ....information would be welcome. Also from NZ.

keerti

Since you used the adjectival form,

keerti wrote:

I prefer Vietnamese.

I was wondering what you meant.  Vietnamese food, Vietnamese weather, Vietnamese music, or perhaps Vietnamese women?  Just kidding you.

I just visited Dalat and i like it...,i would like to work there and then open a small business. I,m currently in China teaching English, Spanish and German . I have TESOL and ELE for English and Spanish. Experience of 6 years in teaching. 15 years in Hotelmanagement, and another 12 in travel agencies, 5 in restaurant management. i,m 60 yo and In China would be difficult to renew the working visa...Dalat would be great, but i could start in Saigon or Nha Trang as well

EVERYONE, it seems, wants to live in DL these days. Just know the pay is significantly less here than most other places in Vietnam. As a bonus it's rainy and cold af from now through October.

I am very interested in teaching English in Dalat. I was stationed nearby in 1970. I remember it being a beautiful, sometimes magical city. I also remember the open market. Fascinating. I saw a wedding on the lake there. Stunning!! The locals were very friendly. I would love to give back by working there--either as an English teacher or share my 20 years of radio broadcasting...or something. Is there an address or a phone number to find out how to make this happen?

J. Jernigan
I am very interested in teaching English in Dalat. I was stationed nearby in 1970. I remember it being a beautiful, sometimes magical city. I also remember the open market. Fascinating. I saw a wedding on the lake there. Stunning!! The locals were very friendly. I would love to give back by working there--either as an English teacher or share my 20 years of radio broadcasting...or something. Is there an address or a phone number to find out how to make this happen?

J. Jernigan
- @luckylick51
Welcome to the Vietnam forum, J.

Currently you can only visit Dalat on a 30-day tourist eVisa.

I'd highly recommend doing that first before you attempt to commit yourself to something based on pre-1975 memories.

You can legally search for work on a tourist visa; you just can't be hired.

IF you want to teach legally in Vietnam and live in Vietnam for an extended period of time on the appropriate Visa, you'll first need to insure that you have the correct certification and documents required by the government, as well as an official sponsorship letter from your prospective employer.

There are countless threads in this forum which discuss the tools and requirements for getting hired as a teacher in Vietnam, but I recommend getting started with this post by forum member John Ross.

Cheers!

O.B.
I would love to give back by working there--either as an English teacher or share my 20 years of radio broadcasting...or something. Is there an address or a phone number to find out how to make this happen?

J. Jernigan
- @luckylick51

While the info that I posted (that OceanBeach has linked to) will be useful to someone looking for a paid teaching job, it sounds you're thinking of doing volunteer/charitable work, which is completely different.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience or knowledge of this area.

A web search may turn up some names of organizations and their contact info. You could then get in touch with them and they could explain to you the procedure for applying

Again, the best thing would be to go there and have a look around in person.
Do a search on Google, there are numerous webpages related to this.
t is worth remebering that volunteer teaching will not make one eligible for a work permit and a long term visa.