Fell in love first time to DR

My wife and I are interested in retiring in 10 to 15 years somewhere south of us where we can live more cheaply.  We have family in Miami and have been going down to the keys every year since we met I. College.  We just went to tropical resort in peurta plata for first time last week.  It was awesome. We had the best time and it looks like we are going back for family trip in may.  Wife's brother graduating from law school and we want to take family trip which is fine bc I actually get along well with my wife's family.  I like the fact that DR is only 90 minutes flight from Miami.  I hope I don't find a lot of negative stuff on this board about living down there bc right now my wife and I are pretty siked about the DR.  The resort was incredible. It had this awesome VIP beach that had these raised outside beds where you could pull the side shears around for total privacy.  All the locals we met were very nice.  I brought a bunch of ones for tipping.  1 dollar seemed to make them happy so I just kept the dollars coming and I got catered to big time.  Peace mike courson

Mike,
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you were at LifeStyles Tropical.  We go there for mini escapes all the time. My wife and I have lived here full time for 7 years having come from Colorado.  We have never looked back for a second and have no plans to leave the DR.

Did you get off the resort any?  Did you explore some?

Your next trip down you should look at Cabarete (about 20 min east of the Puerto Plata airport). Here you will meet a great mix of tourists, local Dominicans and Expats living in the area. Lots of great restaurants, bars, shops, clubs and a beautiful beach.

Let us know if you have any specific questions about the DR

Bob K

I second the welcome!!!  I am an old timer now with 10 years living here,  my friends thought I was nuts.  I have no regrets about my decision to move here.

Bob is right you need to get off the resort to see what real life is like!  For me real life is truly amazing. 

Go read our other threads,  come back and visit often and soon you will have a better idea if our paradise is also your paradise.

Actually we didn't want to do anything for the first few days so we stayed at the resort.  I got a little too much sun so by the fourth day I was afraid of going out all day long in the sun.  When we go back in Kay ill get off the resort the first few days.  Did you guys find a business you could do in dr?

There are many types of businesses you can open here,  it all depends on your background, skills,  ability to speak Spanish and your bank account.

I do a variety of consulting work and stay quite busy.  I am not sure what everyone else does!  They can all add their 2 cents or 2 pesos.....LOL

We came to retire but failed at that and worked in real estate for 6 years and now do that very part time.

Bob K

my wife and i are chiropractors.  i was thinking since like to see patients i ll just keep seeing patients and maybe look into an internet business.  would i be allowed to see patients in dr?

Not legally but many do.  You would  need your cedula and probably a lic of some sort

Bob K

I think you can practice here, but Bob is right you need a cedula / residencia and you need to either incorporate or register yourself as a sole practitioner by registering your cedula as your RNC for business purposes.

thanks, it looks like my wifes family is on board for coming back to tropical resort in may for her brothers law school grad trip.  our friend is coming with us who is a member of the resort.  she said she can get us the 8 minute helicopter ride from the airport and a private villa w a pool and she said a cook comes in every morning and does provate breakfast.  this tim im going to plan on what i can see outside the resort.

Do note that the resort you are staying at Life Styles only allows their on site vendor to book excursions. If you really want to do some exploring of the area you might hire a cab for a day or two and get out and about.

Bob K

But don't hire the taxi at the resort!  They are too expensive,  take a quick taxi ride into the city,  then look for a local taxi, negotiate the rate up front!