Real Estate in Malta – An Online observation!

Real Estate in Malta – An Online observation!

Ever since I set out to look for an apartment in Malta four months ago – I have finally managed to get one and I thought it could be a good idea to write an exposé after exchanging emails with some of the estate agencies. Here we go…..

Doors Real Estate Services (Mr. Maurizio Cavallaro)

Out of all the estate agents I emailed – This man is a cut above the rest. Mr. Maurizio Cavallaro is relentless; he works as if his life depends on it. (We even had a Skype chat a few times and his telephone manners are something to be proud of) He will send you countless emails and he will never ever fail to reply. Too bad that we couldn't find an apartment with my specifications but if I had to do it all over again. I would use Mr. Maurizio Cavallaro in a heartbeat. I didn't want this review to read like a slam dunk for Doors Real Estate Services, but if something is that good. You have to highlight the merits.

Maltese Island Properties & Marcelle Mintoff

These two were recommended by my currently Landlady Lucy before she becomes my landlord (Don't worry I will tell you how fate intervened) Despite limited website listings – This ‘'little firm'', Sorry I am calling it little because I had never seen it mentioned anywhere until Lucy pointed it out. Hats off to Ms.  Marcelle Mintoff she will send you an email at 01:00 am if she has too from her Samsung Galaxy. She is relentless and she won't give up no matter how many ‘'NOs'' you're going to dish out. Would I use their service if I had to? - YES.

Remax Real Estate

I first emailed them 4 months ago about some of their apartments on the website. Don't get me wrong, they have one of the best website among all the agents. The pictures on the website are enticing and it won't take you a minute to email them. I inquired on about 5 properties – No surprise there, all the properties were unavailable. However, a lovely lady named Sue Carabott sent me an email to see if she can make a sale. After two emails, she realized I wasn't due to go to Malta sooner than she anticipated – Email communication was subsequently terminated. Nonetheless, after three and a half months she had the nerve to email me two days ago (Thursday this week) inquiring if I still need an apartment. She sent me pictures of a proposed apartment, 100 euros off my budget despite clear instruction. I gave up after that.

Dhalia Real Estate

This is a snapshot of the email I received from Mr. Darren Abela. I don't know what to make of it but it was clear enough to indicate that they don't deal with online trollers unless you're in Malta. Basically don't waste your time with them because once in Malta you can look for a private Landlord. 

‘' We don't usually take bookings unless yourself or a relative would come and see the property physically, the only reason being that we had some bad experiences in the past and we had decided not to do it anymore, unfortunately photos can be very deceiving. Also most of the owners would want to meet the actual tenant before committing themselves. I would really suggest that you book a hotel for 3 nights and I'll show you what we have available at the time and you can move in start away''

Simon Mamo Real Estate

Again properties listed on their website are never available but Jean Galea sent me an email inquiring if I was already in Malta. Once I said I wanted everything to be sorted out prior to my arrival hence the inquiry he/she seemed less interested. Emails dried up and nothing ever since.

ENGEL & VÖLKERS SARA GRECH

Sent them an email in the beginning of May – This was the reply below form Mr Henri Barden and he has never updated me ever since.

‘' In relation to the apartments that we have available to show you, please be aware that the rental market is very liquid and so we will have the best chance of finding the right property closer to the time of rental. I will provide an
Update of the properties that are available mid-May which will give us plenty of time to find the right property for you and your wife ‘'

Is the gentleman supposed to do a follow up or not? I believe in business if there is a potential client, the onus is on the service provider to chase you not the other way round. 

Later on – I received this email from Danika Formosa …..

'' I hope this email finds you well. I believe my colleague, Henry Barden, has been in contact with you. However he is no longer associated with the company and hence your details were forwarded to me. Can you kindly inform me if you are still looking for property, please? If you are, I will be happy to show you around''

CLEARLY I HAVE LITTLE PATIENCE FOR SUCH DRAMA.

Frank Salt Real Estate

I sent them an email (4 – 5 weeks ago) – They did send me an acknowledgement email (computer generated) saying someone would get in touch but I am still waiting. I don't know who is the manager or who operate this shadowy company but something has to change. Maybe they're too big to fall – But so was Northern Rock and HMV! 

FINALY – I GOT MY LOVELY APARTMENT

I got my lovely apartment through one of the members here (mantonas (Toni) – He is the cool Portuguese guy who supports Benfica – FYI I hate Benfica. LOL) by a private landlord named Lucy. Everything went smoothly and all details were agreed within a week with no deposit to pay. The apartment is within budget and I am happy like a fat kid with a kit Kat.

Conclusion –
If you're looking for a house/apartment to rent in Malta this forum is your best bet. There is so much useful information here. You might not get what you want right away but if you ask and quiz some of the seasoned experts on this forum you won't be disappointed. (FYI – These guys are seasoned and fragile, handle them with care, sometimes they might throw in a joke or two. But be patient with them – We don't pay them and we have no right to ask what is beyond their means. They won't find you a football team nor buy you a ticket to the moon. But what they will do – Is give you solid advice and sometimes offer to help you physically ( i.e. - toonarmy9752 & socialwhirl offered to go and check out the apartment I wanted to make sure it fits the bill) – Seriously most of us are strangers here but some actions are plausible at best. Redmik (Another seasoned member) has contacts for a new Real Estate agency opening up soon with supposedly ethical morals – As I said, if something is recommended by these guys best to give it a try. When I say quiz them, I don't mean hounding them, some of them might have pacemakers and we don't want to lose our valuable members yet.

NB: - This is an exposé after dealing with these agents online – Their services might be different if you walk into their physical offices. However if online services are diabolical (maybe that is a bit harsh) – Why would you go into their office? It's a no brainer!

We were looking for apartment in 2012. From the list of 30-40 agents I received the answer from the half and we met with approx 10 agents later.

They are right - there is a big difference between online ads and real property, you must go and see it before. And the market is liquid, really - good apartments are gone quickly.

We had similar experience: we've seen around 70 apartments in our area (Msida/Gzira) and finally we've bought an apartment directly, without any agents. I had just seen the sign on the balcony and met with the owner.

The Maltese do not pay for a fish in the sea.

That is all the understanding you need.

Also, be careful of internet libel laws.

Sadly Smeddie your findings are the same as many who are planning to come here - service isnt top of their priority list - cash is!!!!!

Hi, just one thing about buying property in Malta. I have been told that as the inheritance laws in Malta are different to the UK, then it is advisable to make a will,under Maltese Law, if relevant, outlining who you want the property to go to.

Can anyone support or refute this?

toonarmy9752 wrote:

Sadly Smeddie your findings are the same as many who are planning to come here - service isnt top of their priority list - cash is!!!!!

Still nice to know Toon... :)

I agree with Mick about being aware and careful ofinternet libel laws and I am not really sure any of the responses you noted are that bad, they probably get lots of enquiries from people who are "thinking" about moving to Malta but they never make the move so they are just being cautious, I also dont think that very many people would actually take the risk of signing up for a rental apartment or house until they have viewed it and so that is why they dont take people seriously until they are in the country and have seen what is on offer.

Just my opinion and I am glad you found an apartment and from what I have seen of mantonas' posts on here he seems like a genuine, helpful friendly person so it was nice of him to sort this out for you, also it was lovely of toon and socialwhirl to offer to view places on your behalf, its good to see people helping each other out on this sometimes scary journey of living in another country.

redmik wrote:

Hi, just one thing about buying property in Malta. I have been told that as the inheritance laws in Malta are different to the UK, then it is advisable to make a will,under Maltese Law, if relevant, outlining who you want the property to go to.

Can anyone support or refute this?

yes, can either be Maltese will or codicil to a UK one

redmik wrote:

I cant see where any of SMeddie stuff is libellous, its his opinion based on his experience.

What Is Defamation?

The publication or broadcast of any libellous or slanderous statement about an individual or business that can be proven to be false and published with the intention of harming that entity's reputation is considered to be defamation. Online defamation is the publication of such statements made on any Internet based media including blogs, forums, websites, and even social networking websites. While many Internet users believe that they are free to say and do as they like while on the Internet, this is untrue and the same defamation laws and regulations stand for online defamation as they do in any form of media.

tearnet wrote:
redmik wrote:

I cant see where any of SMeddie stuff is libellous, its his opinion based on his experience.

What Is Defamation?

The publication or broadcast of any libellous or slanderous statement about an individual or business that can be proven to be false and published with the intention of harming that entity's reputation is considered to be defamation. Online defamation is the publication of such statements made on any Internet based media including blogs, forums, websites, and even social networking websites. While many Internet users believe that they are free to say and do as they like while on the Internet, this is untrue and the same defamation laws and regulations stand for online defamation as they do in any form of media.

I didn't say it was, I was just suggesting caution for others; as we know these threads can expand rapidly.

Great review Meddie!

I have experienced similar issues when dealing with estate agents while in Portugal until I met Lucy and dealt with her directly. I happy you like the apartment and I am pretty sure you and Lucy will get on really well.

And btw, in regards to Benfica, you lucky you only told me this now or I would not had help you (joking) Eheheheh :D

I look forward to meet you and your wife on the 1st of July. Have a safe journey!

Cheerio,
Antonio

rainbow3 wrote:

Just my opinion and I am glad you found an apartment and from what I have seen of mantonas' posts on here he seems like a genuine, helpful friendly person so it was nice of him to sort this out for you, also it was lovely of toon and socialwhirl to offer to view places on your behalf, its good to see people helping each other out on this sometimes scary journey of living in another country.

Thanks for your kind comments rainbow3. It's always a nice feeling when we can help someone and it's a pleasure for me.

Hi all

We just moved over in April, had come in November to do final checks, but told by all agents could not view or sign for anything then as did not know what had available, same when rang a few numbers from windows and times. Had similar thing when first moved to Spain, rented somewhere for 6 months then moved to place we really liked.

So booked into hotel for 4 nights, went to see Darren from dhalia first day we arrived, next day saw several places all within our pricing range. Next day went back to see our chosen one still liked it and signed the next day. Also he asked if could reduce by €25pm and landlord agreed. Would not have found this without him as our landlord never advertises in window etc, also flat had only be empty for 2 weeks Although used agency to find place have private landlord, pay rent etc direct to him, unlike Uk where often all payments done via agent.

Hope this is helpful, was not stressful at all but maybe that's because have done this sort of thing before!!

You are welcome:)

I can completely understand that they wouldn't be that bothered with anyone until they were there on the island viewing properties. And it's true that properties move fast in certain seasons.

It is a bit weird that most agents' websites advertise properties that are no longer available, but that just seems to be the way it is. I do sort of agree that if online services don't seem that informative then why would you bother going to their office, but that's from the point of view of having lived for years in a country where online means a lot.

I think in Malta person-to-person counts for more, and I can see advantages to that. In such a small place it makes sense, and word of mouth is much more effective. I mean, the fact that what's online doesn't seem true or accurate isn't such a big deal, taken in context of how the island works, and the importance of relationships.

I have use Property-line in St Julian,s twice to buy two apartments.
Just up from Park Tower supermarket.
Andrew was wonderful and so helpful in organizing everything to last detail and getting the snag list of things done for me when wasn't in Malta.
Tried about five real estate agents.
So many emails phone calls and no correspondence back.

mantonas wrote:

Great review Meddie!

I have experienced similar issues when dealing with estate agents while in Portugal until I met Lucy and dealt with her directly. I happy you like the apartment and I am pretty sure you and Lucy will get on really well.

And btw, in regards to Benfica, you lucky you only told me this now or I would not had help you (joking) Eheheheh :D

I look forward to meet you and your wife on the 1st of July. Have a safe journey!

Cheerio,
Antonio

Toni -  Haahaa – I am sure we will talk Benfica when I am in Malta in two weeks.

Thanks Again!

Rocking Ken wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

Still nice to know Toon... :)

absolutely  - i wasnt taking anything away from the content

of course agents can do what they want and generally do - and am sure it is sound reasoning but to advertise properties that they know arent available is false advertising. a few days or weeks maybe but all year round for the last 5 years and then some.

When we were looking to move from our old house (dark and damp in winter) we contacted a local agent who sent us details of the house we were living in! Still on their books and being marketed 18 months later!!! No mention of the damp that was one of the reasons the previous tenant moved out.
Most agents we found were pretty unprofessional and only wanted to show you high rent properties and generally ignored any requests with regard to preferences.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

When we were looking to move from our old house (dark and damp in winter) we contacted a local agent who sent us details of the house we were living in! Still on their books and being marketed 18 months later!!! No mention of the damp that was one of the reasons the previous tenant moved out.
Most agents we found were pretty unprofessional and only wanted to show you high rent properties and generally ignored any requests with regard to preferences.

Terry

spot on terry

I just wanted to thank Smeddie and everyone else for contributing on this thread.  We've just started this process, so it's really great information.

bh73 wrote:

I just wanted to thank Smeddie and everyone else for contributing on this thread.  We've just started this process, so it's really great information.

It's also a good opportunity to 'showcase' toons' list of Hints and Tips for those wanting to rent in Malta.

Excellent list........pm toon for updates

Good Luck

MikeInPoulton wrote:
bh73 wrote:

It's also a good opportunity to 'showcase' toons' list of Hints and Tips for those wanting to rent in Malta.

Excellent list........pm toon for updates

Good Luck

cheers guys - its always available for updates privately

bh73 wrote:

Bh73 – No worries!

Just look around and ask these guys as often as possible. More helpful advice is on this forum and you won't go wrong.

Thanks
Smeddie