Newbie communications question

Hello.

I'm heading out to Libya v. soon and while I plan to use skype in the long term to stay in touch with the folks back home, I wonder what are the best options when I arrive at first and probably won't have an internet connection up and running.

Any help and ideas would be really appreciated.

TIA

I guess you'll be needing an internet connection then...

Try the LTT WiMAX service, loads written about it here.

If you're in the city centre the USB dongle will be fine, otherwise go for the modem/router option.

thanks for that sandman - i've been reading the forum for several weeks now and wimax def looks like the right option

I'm really talking about the first short period before I can get that organised - I assume using UK mobiles on roam is hideously expensive - is a local sim a better option ?

TIAA

I use the WiMAX dongle out here in the Boonies. Since the week of downtime they had to 'upgrade' things, the signal is always strong. Not fast, but strong ;)
Best thing to do when you find a house is borrow a dongle and see if it works. A friend just up the dirt track from me went for the router option which cost alot more and isn't as good.

LibyanJag wrote:

I'm really talking about the first short period before I can get that organised - I assume using UK mobiles on roam is hideously expensive - is a local sim a better option ?

TIAA

My partner had to try both local networks (I think there are only two in Libya, or at least two available in Benghazi) before we could make contact with each other when he first arrived. On the one, he could text me but I couldn't respond but on the other we can call and text easily (not cheaply though) I think SIM cards are fairly cheap and easy to get hold of so try one and if that doesn't work, buy the other. He can also text me from his O2 SIM but I can't text back - it really is a case of trial and error.

thanks LS and BG

that libyana sim card sounds like just the job - probably combined with skype from the UK end of things.

now to find out where I can get Irn Bru . . .

LibyanJag wrote:

thanks for that sandman - i've been reading the forum for several weeks now and wimax def looks like the right option

TIAA

If your phone is compatible I woukd advise you install skype on your mobile phone.
Then if you go for Al Madar sim card, for 10 LYD extra, you can have an unlimited data connection... Then you skype, facebook, msn, get your emails....

Cheers

LibyanJag wrote:

thanks LS and BG

that libyana sim card sounds like just the job - probably combined with skype from the UK end of things.

now to find out where I can get Irn Bru . . .

Can't find it anywhere and have been looking, Souk Talat (sp) or Tuesday market would be the best bet, but I wouldn't hold your breath mate. Oh aye Mon the Jags :)

Expat Joe wrote:

If your phone is compatible I woukd advise you install skype on your mobile phone.
Then if you go for Al Madar sim card, for 10 LYD extra, you can have an unlimited data connection... Then you skype, facebook, msn, get your emails....

Cheers

I don't think 10LD gets you unlimited data with Al Madar.  It gets you 45 hours which expire at the end of the month. 

http://www.almadar.ly/Service/default.aspx?s_id=361

Libyana charges by the kb for data.

gabacho wrote:

I don't think 10LD gets you unlimited data with Al Madar.  It gets you 45 hours which expire at the end of the month. 

http://www.almadar.ly/Service/default.aspx?s_id=361

Libyana charges by the kb for data.

True....
It used to be 10LD per month without duration restriction.
Now they just added this 45hrs limit.

Too many Skype users probably :)

cheers to everyone ( esp Clansman ) - plenty of leads to follow up.

LibyanJag wrote:

cheers to everyone ( esp Clansman ) - plenty of leads to follow up.

No worries mate, will have to hook up when you arrive, will be able to help you out a bit, Sandman6 took me under his arm when I first arrived and it was invaluable.

yeah best getting an almadar /libyana sim card. I HAD MY FIRST CAN OF IRN BRU YESTERDAY!!IT WAS 1.25LYD FOR A CAN. It was at Saraj roundabout near the gems school in the small supermarket next to the small toy shop. yay!!

ann1000 wrote:

yeah best getting an almadar /libyana sim card. I HAD MY FIRST CAN OF IRN BRU YESTERDAY!!IT WAS 1.25LYD FOR A CAN. It was at Saraj roundabout near the gems school in the small supermarket next to the small toy shop. yay!!

Brilliant news, thanks for that, all us Scots will be happy now :D