Obtain a work permit prior to moving

Hello All,

There have been many posts of job offers and if a certain salary will suffice to cover living expenses, etc..  What I am inquiring on is if anyone has any advice of whom I can approach for employment offers.

I currently reside in Canada and am looking to move to Kenya and I want to be able to obtain a work permit prior to moving.

I am currently a travel agent, but would be looking for any opportunities in the tourism/hospitality field. 

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!~
Danielle

Hello Danielle.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

For more interaction, a new thread has been created from your message on the Kenya forum.

In meantime, you can post an advert in the Jobs in Kenya section. It could be useful.

Good luck in your research,
Aurélie

To start off, you could also check out Sarova Hotels, one of Kenya's largest chain of hotels and lodges. Here is a link:sarovahotels.com/careers.aspx

Thank you so much!!

To have a job offer prior to travelling to Kenya is officially the 'right way' to go about getting a work permit.  It has recently become more difficult to obtain one, partly (rumour has it) due to workers coming from China and India, to do lower paid jobs.  Work permits are supposed to be given out to foreigners where there is a skills shortage and where a suitably qualified Kenyan cannot be found to do the job.  Kenya has a high rate of unemployment, so there should be a genuine reason for an employer not to employ a 'local'.

I think that the travel industry would be a tough one to break into as an employee and perhaps broadening your horizons a little would be worth it.  I think that one of the reasons for this is that it is assumed that a foreigner will want a considerably higher salary than a 'local'.  Its worth a try though. 

It is also useful to engage the services of someone who 'knows their way around' Immigration.

For cost of living www.numbeo.com

[Moderated: please post in jobs section ]