New law changing Occupational and Investor Permits

We have learned that the Mauritius government is about to change specific conditions on the Occupational Permit, mainly related to minimum salary for expattiates which is going to be reviewed to +Rs75,000. This is because the FDI figures for 2009 were not as good as expected and also because some people took advantage of the Rs 30,000 low limit to obtain residence permits.

The new proposal also include changes on residence permits for retirees.  These new regulations amendments will be made to the Investment Promotion Act  and have been proposed and approved in the Cabinet Ministers meeting on the 5th March, 2010.  There will, hereafter be the process of parliament vote and government gazette publication for any final changes to the law.   The final changes will be applicable to new permits and renewals.

For businessmen, the initial capital investment required will be raised to 100 000 dollars (about Rs 3 millions).  This will furthermore include a guarantee of a turnover annually of Rs 4 millions.

Those individuals who wish to work for themselves – ie investor status or one employee companies; these conditions have also changed. Over and above the annual revenue of Rs600,000, professionals will be required to bring in foreign exchange of investment of around  US$ 35 000 (about Rs 1 million ).

Retirees will be required to make a transfer of 40 000 dollars (about Rs 1,2 million) into a local account.

Excellent info!! any idea when it will be implemented as it will make things difficult for expats to move in.

Apparently the Board of Investment said to someone, they would publish full info on their website within 2 weeks time.

I want to request all future expat friends to finalize their contracts as soon as possible so that they are not affected by the new laws of relocation.

Things are getting pretty tough....huh? I am waiting for a final offer to come through from a Mauritian company....hope something good turns up :)
I guess the only way to move-in would be to get a high paying job....

Well it came out in the newspaper today.

In which newspaper did you read it ?

News On Sunday. It's not law yet. They will be voting on it this month.

Hi guys,

Hate to say this, but the law has already changed.  I just visited the BOI today and the details had changed since last Friday. *&#$

Take care,
S.

CanadianNomad - do you have the link where it was changed. I've been to several BOI sites and nothing has been changed. http://www.worknlive.mu/menuid1.aspx

thanks

No links updated yet I'm afraid, although I have brought that point up with them several times now.  My information comes directly from going into the BOI offices and talking with them directly.  I asked when will these changes be taking effect? They said they already are in effect.

How nice of them to make these changes on the day of my arrival.

Interesting article
http://www.lexpress.mu/story/10596-expa … sited.html

Professionals on the other hand, will need to find a job that proposes to pay them at least Rs 75,000 a month, as opposed to Rs 30,000. They also need to submit their CV as well as proof of their qualifications and professional experience to the BOI. This category was the most popular one among expatriates- 3300 people were granted occupational permits from October 2006 to July 2009. It's not clear if the figure was inflated because the “professionals” weren't required to submit proof of their qualifications and experience.

Today, I've been at BOI to submit application for occupational permit (for the first time). My salary is less than 75000 MUR and they accepted the application without mentioning anything regarding the new limit. I'll let you know in Monday if everything went well...

good to know mroncev, thanks !

let us know after you get your OP done it shd not take more then 3 working days

thanks

morcenve

Any updates

Any1 else aware of new laws implementation  regrading op?????

Everyone, sorry for the late reply, I've got my permit in Monday...

So guys what is the conclusion is this new law just a proposal and not implemented or it is yet to come in force does any1 has any idea ????? Seems whatsoever but as mroncev got his OP this Monday means for sure the new law is not yet applicable but if it's in the process then no wonder from next week they might nor accept the application ?????

Any reviews on this ????

And one important query it's a new law so will it effect existing expats who will be applying for a new job or even for renewal ????????

Plz advice ????

no more news about the new rules at the moment ... wait and see

(I heard someone saying that the new rules will be applicable very soon)

http://www.investmauritius.com/wnlwnlre … nes_OP.pdf

it says "DISCLAIMER: The actual Regulations are being revised. You may wish to contact the Advisory Centre of the Board of Investment on phone number 211 3800 for further information."

I received the below e-mail from the BOI last week:

Dear Sir

The ‘Investment Promotion Act' has been ammende as follows:

Eligibility criteria for registration

Investor

An initial investment of 100 000 US $ with an annual turn of MUR 4 Million.

The turn over applies in respect of each applicant in the company. (i.e MRU 8 Million for two applicants, MRU 12 Million for three applicants and so on)

Self-employed

An initial investment of 35 000 US $ with an annual turn of MUR 600, 000 annually.

Professional

The monthly basic salary should exceed MUR 75 000.

Application should be submitted in person at the counter of the Work and Live Department of the Board of Investment.

The changes will soon be updated on our website where you can download the guidelines and application forms.

www.investmauritius.com

Hello all,I am new to this blog and I so much find it very useful.I am thinking of coming to work and live in Mauritius as a self-employed person.

Presently,I make close to USD3,000 monthly from my self-employed job.I intend to register a small firm and maybe employ one person to work with me when I fully establish myself in Mauritius.

I have read lots about living in Mauritius from this blog and i thank everyone that has contributed in one way or the other.

The challenge i am having now is that there is no Mauritian embassy here in Nigeria.How do I start my plans?

Thank you as you respond to me question.

If one wants to live in Mauritius on an investors permit and have a local Mauritian as a partner what laws apply. Does the expat have to show the same turnover and investment being a shareholder in the company.

WORKING IN MAURITIUS (new regulations as per the changes circa March 5th 2010)

An occupation permit allows a non-national to work in Mauritius. It is both a work and a residence permit. A complete application is made through the Board of Investment to the Passport and Immigration Office. Applicants must register with the Board of Investment and registration is done at the same time that an application is submitted.

An investor, a professional or a self-employed person may be eligible under the following conditions:

Investor    The business activity should generate a turnover exceeding MRU 4 million annually with an initial investment of USD100,000 or its equivalent in freely convertible foreign currency. If there is more than one investor in the same company applying for an Occupation Permit, the turnover criteria should apply in respect of each applicant (i.e MRU 8 million for two applicants, MRU 12 million for three applicants, and so on)

Professional    Basic salary should exceed MRU 75,000 monthly

Self-employed    Income from the business activity should exceed MRU 600,000 annually with an initial investment of USD 35,000 or its equivalent in freely convertible foreign currency.

It takes three days to process and obtain an occupation permit which is issued for a maximum period of three years.

The dependents of an occupation permit holder may also apply for residence permits.
http://www.worknlive.mu/menuid1.aspx

The above post does not answer my question. What are the laws for expats having a Mauritian partner.

mike1234 wrote:

The above post does not answer my question. What are the laws for expats having a Mauritian partner.

Hi Mike,

I personnally cannot answer your question because I have a retired resident permit but why don't you contact the BOI (Board of Investment) directly with precise questions explaining them the exact situation.

You can address to this email : BOI

All the best
Arlette

mike1234 wrote:

FYI and FWIW: I was NOT responding to your question but expanding on the original post of this thread as the new conditions and rules became public on March 5th of this year and all those concerned were wondering when they will become applicable.
Otherwise I would be quoting your post as per this example.

My intention was not to offend any one. With this new law it would be difficult for someone with limited investment to start on his own. I just thought the law will be easier to move to Mauritius as a investor with a Mauritian partner.

mike1234 wrote:

My intention was not to offend any one. With this new law it would be difficult for someone with limited investment to start on his own. I just thought the law will be easier to move to Mauritius as a investor with a Mauritian partner.

None taken :)
As far as the bold part, I would say "on the contrary" It seems that some  people in the govt. thought that the previous conditions were too soft and decided to tighten the screw ( there have been a lot of articles written about the subject and I won't go further than that) on those permits.
However two things can work in your favour:
1. A new govt  after May 5th
2. A good business case in front of the BOI with your MRU partner - you will have to work with them
Good Luck and be aware that persistence is a virtue on the island;)

I only hope that the new law does not apply for renewal. It would be sad to see  expats leave this country if they are not able to renew their work contract or business license

Unfortunately Terence,
Those new regulations will apply to everybody new permits and renewals!

i heard it nt gona effect renewals????? r u sure

Ok Vishal,
I'll ask confirmation to my contact in BOI and get back to you with her answer
Arlette

thanks:) coz sm1 told me its not gona effect renewals on friday.. my office accountant

When I went to BOI they told me it would effect renewals also. Sad but true.  I hope FeeAcers contact proves me to be wrong.

Unfortunately, I got the same information from BOI. In fact, after 3 years, the applications are not "renewed" but are treated as new demands.

Got the same info as Catherinedp just now...

I also got an email confirmation from my contact at the BOI that it will be applicable to all: new applications and renewals.

If an expat earns 30000 his employer will not pay him 75000 for renewal thats for sure. At the same time if one wants to start a small time business, he will not be able to invest 3000000 . Have they confirmed  any expat leaving the country due to these drawbacks.

I came here under the status of retired person but I know for sure that I would not have come here to work for 30 000 Rs! There are many other countries or companies out there paying a lot more money for expats!!!

When you go to work overseas, ok you want to live in a nice country with nice beaches, etc... but you expatriate yourself also to have a nice earning and to save money, no????

This is only my 2 cents worth!!!

I am in the domain and already having problems with some of my clients. Would be nice if they could go and shout at the BOI directly and not at ME. I have a headache people since this morning!! And the week has only started!! Julien a VENT area for me please on the forum cause its gonna be a hard couple of weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!