Looking to Move to Panama

Hi my name is Joey and after much research I am looking at Panama as my top destination to move permanently in the next 8-10 years.  The reason that I am waiting this long is so that I may be able to save some cash and become debt free by the time I am ready to leave.

I am currently a retired military veteran and am planning on living off my retirement income.  A buddy of mine who is getting ready to retire in the next few months is also looking to move down there with me.  He is in the Army and was stationed down there for many years and knows the area. 

I have been to Panama once and loved the heck out of it!  It was hard to put me back on the plane!  I know living and visiting is two different things but I have lived in Mexico before and I know the culture differences between another country and the States.  I plan on visiting Panama a few more times before I start to get serious and investing money and time to set myself up down there.  I am about 75% sure that I am going to move there but things could always happen.  But as of today, this is my plan and what I am working towards. 

In July my buddy who plans on moving there with me and I are planning on getting together and start a basic outline of what important general steps need to be taken and then as we move along start breaking each general step into specifics.

One will be the retirement visa and what needs to be done to obtain one.

Two would be owning real estate and what is the advantage between owning and renting.

These are some examples of general steps.  For those who have moved there and are living there, what are something's that you did to make your transition as smooth as possible and what obstacles were that you faced?  It's things like this that I am looking for. 

Any help would be appreciated!

1st thing when your next in Panama get a good lawyer. Start your pensionaldo Visa proceedings. It will help to have it prior to your relocation! If you are going to be primarily living on your pension you will need a certificate saying what your monetary amount will be. 2nd get your FBI check done. I'm not positive that you will need it but your birth certificate wouldn't hurt.

You need a lawyer to get a pensionado/retirement visa. It is easier to start the process in the US so you can get the documentation you need while you are there. But, many people are here for years without getting that visa. They have to get their passport stamped every 90 days though, or every 180 if they don't drive.

It is recommended that you live here for 6-12 months before you buy any real estate. You want to be sure its a good fit before you commit.

We have been here for 8 months and really love it, so we are thinking about buying. Renting is easy but we want a house of our own where any improvements are ours, not our landlords. We also believe that here in David, progress is happening and prices will be going up, so it's a good place for our money.

For me, a big thing was I sold or gave away everything and came down with one suitcase. What freedom and simplicity! I know this doesn't work for everyone, but I avoided all the trouble and expense of shipping things. I also worked hard on my Spanish, and though I wasn't good at least I could communicate a bit. I also visited, made friends, and had some really nice contacts here before I arrived, and made a point to connect with my neighbors as soon as possible.

Obstacles? Nothing major, mostly finding things and you go through that in any new location. I had to ask a lot of questions at first, and try to understand the answers. It was probably 2 months before I had a successful phone conversation where I could understand everything! So it may be frustrating sometimes but somehow it all works out, and we've found life here to be a real joy.

You might find living here inexpensive enough that you can pay off your debts a lot faster. It's costing us about 1/3 of what it did to live in Florida. Then you wouldn't have to wait!

Kris

CaliDevil71 wrote:

Hi my name is Joey and after much research I am looking at Panama as my top destination to move permanently in the next 8-10 years.  The reason that I am waiting this long is so that I may be able to save some cash and become debt free by the time I am ready to leave.

I am currently a retired military veteran and am planning on living off my retirement income.  A buddy of mine who is getting ready to retire in the next few months is also looking to move down there with me.  He is in the Army and was stationed down there for many years and knows the area. 

I have been to Panama once and loved the heck out of it!  It was hard to put me back on the plane!  I know living and visiting is two different things but I have lived in Mexico before and I know the culture differences between another country and the States.  I plan on visiting Panama a few more times before I start to get serious and investing money and time to set myself up down there.  I am about 75% sure that I am going to move there but things could always happen.  But as of today, this is my plan and what I am working towards. 

In July my buddy who plans on moving there with me and I are planning on getting together and start a basic outline of what important general steps need to be taken and then as we move along start breaking each general step into specifics.

Two would be owning real estate and what is the advantage between owning and renting.

These are some examples of general steps.  For those who have moved there and are living there, what are something's that you did to make your transition as smooth as possible and what obstacles were that you faced?  It's things like this that I am looking for. 

Glenn Baxley wrote:

1st thing when your next in Panama get a good lawyer. Start your pensionaldo Visa proceedings. It will help to have it prior to your relocation! If you are going to be primarily living on your pension you will need a certificate saying what your monetary amount will be. 2nd get your FBI check done. I'm not positive that you will need it but your birth certificate wouldn't hurt.

First I want to say thanks for the rapid response!

Are lawyers expensive down there?  Could I have that PP visa years before I actually move down there?

kristc99 wrote:

You need a lawyer to get a pensionado/retirement visa. It is easier to start the process in the US so you can get the documentation you need while you are there. But, many people are here for years without getting that visa. They have to get their passport stamped every 90 days though, or every 180 if they don't drive.

It is recommended that you live here for 6-12 months before you buy any real estate. You want to be sure its a good fit before you commit.

We have been here for 8 months and really love it, so we are thinking about buying. Renting is easy but we want a house of our own where any improvements are ours, not our landlords. We also believe that here in David, progress is happening and prices will be going up, so it's a good place for our money.

For me, a big thing was I sold or gave away everything and came down with one suitcase. What freedom and simplicity! I know this doesn't work for everyone, but I avoided all the trouble and expense of shipping things. I also worked hard on my Spanish, and though I wasn't good at least I could communicate a bit. I also visited, made friends, and had some really nice contacts here before I arrived, and made a point to connect with my neighbors as soon as possible.

Obstacles? Nothing major, mostly finding things and you go through that in any new location. I had to ask a lot of questions at first, and try to understand the answers. It was probably 2 months before I had a successful phone conversation where I could understand everything! So it may be frustrating sometimes but somehow it all works out, and we've found life here to be a real joy.

You might find living here inexpensive enough that you can pay off your debts a lot faster. It's costing us about 1/3 of what it did to live in Florida. Then you wouldn't have to wait!

Kris

CaliDevil71 wrote:

First thanks for the quick response.

I plan on moving down there the same way you did.  Suitcase in hand and that is it.  The only thing that I may want to ship is my motorcycle.  But other than that, I'm ready to come down.

When I came down in February I basically stayed in Panama City so it was pretty expensive.  But my plan now is to come down a few times a year even if it is only for 3 or 4 days.  I know it will be expensive but it will give me time to focus on certain areas of where I may want to go. 

What is the job market like for Americans and if you are on one of these retirement visas, is working prohibited?

I would like to move there ASAP but I have a lot of toys to pay for plus I want to see my nephews and niece grow up a little more.

Maybe you should contact my friend Ryan. He had a heck of a time getting a motorcycle legal that was from out of the country. I think he went through some lawyers who didn't do their job before he found a decent one. He also has some great videos from Panama (though he is back in the US now) http://www.youtube.com/user/halfthrottle

Speaking of lawyers, be sure you get some recommendations before you hire one. You hear bad stories all the time here.

I don't think you can work here unless you get a job that they can't fill from within the country. There is a real push to learn English, so maybe there are opportunities in teaching?

Kris

CaliDevil71 wrote:

I plan on moving down there the same way you did.  Suitcase in hand and that is it.  The only thing that I may want to ship is my motorcycle.  But other than that, I'm ready to come down.

When I came down in February I basically stayed in Panama City so it was pretty expensive.  But my plan now is to come down a few times a year even if it is only for 3 or 4 days.  I know it will be expensive but it will give me time to focus on certain areas of where I may want to go. 

What is the job market like for Americans and if you are on one of these retirement visas, is working prohibited?

I would like to move there ASAP but I have a lot of toys to pay for plus I want to see my nephews and niece grow up a little more.

Joey,
The fact that you loved your visit to Panama is a great first step but as you mentioned, loving a visit and loving living here are two different things.

First off,8-10 years from now is a long time away so everything is subject to change. For one thing, Panama is booming so prices are rising...

Besides the finances, a reality check of expectations is highly recommended. I love living here but my reference point is from El Valle-I love the incredible natural beauty and the wonderful expat community here. We are a respectful, friendly, and giving group. We perform lots of community work. Other advantages here are a slow pace of life, and a tolerant local community. Those are the pluses. Here, the main drawbacks are that there is not much nightlife and shopping is limited. (But consumerism is something I was happy to get away from) Also winds at night are strong here in the Spring.

I think that what is most needed is a refocusing into slowing down, and being patient, respectful and friendly with everyone. If you can do that, you will make great friends quickly and enjoy life here. You will discover that life isn't about having possessions or "getting somewhere" which is the reality in N. America. If you have to have your way now, be forceful, and expect Panama to be like home, you will not be happy. Learning at least basic Spanish is a must IMO also. I also really recommend getting involved in volunteer projects-after all, service is the highest station in life.

I can't answer your legal questions, but an initial consultation with a recommended lawyer should be able to answer those few questions. But you need to decide what climate/area you want by researching and visiting. Any expat area has web forums-yahoo groups is a big one. You can also get recommendations there. Then move here and rent for at least several months. I recommend you get references for anyone you hire here, but that is true everywhere in the world. You will want to find out what it costs to ship your motorcycle here plus and import duty. You may decide that it isn't worth it and it's better to sell it there and then buy here.

1st Pick another country...2nd 8-10 years from now???? You'll be lucky if [moderated] hasn't stolen your savings and reduced your pension to pay for all the illegal wars and aliens demands.

If you are serious about leaving the USSA, do it now and look at Chile, Uruguay or Ecuador. The COL here is growing by the day. It's almost as expensive as the USSA now and in some cases even more. Gas is 4.30 for 91 octane and 4.00 for diesel. Meat in the super markets is now about $6.25/lb  when just last month it was $3.00/lb. Veggies have skyrocketed through the roof. The only cheap stuff is beer and liquor.

Everything you try to do here is a nightmare. No more gringo bank accounts unless you want to give up your whole family history with SS nbrs and CC nbrs. Pretty much the banks, lawyers, RE agents are totally useless along with immigration....dumb and dummer!!!!

So good luck......

kristc99 wrote:

Maybe you should contact my friend Ryan. He had a heck of a time getting a motorcycle legal that was from out of the country. I think he went through some lawyers who didn't do their job before he found a decent one. He also has some great videos from Panama (though he is back in the US now) youtube.com/user/halfthrottle

Speaking of lawyers, be sure you get some recommendations before you hire one. You hear bad stories all the time here.

I don't think you can work here unless you get a job that they can't fill from within the country. There is a real push to learn English, so maybe there are opportunities in teaching?

Kris

CaliDevil71 wrote:

I have a few friends there, so I'll ask them if they know of any lawyers down there.  But I do appreciate your that advice.

I kind of figured finding a job wouldn't be that easy but when I was there in February I met a few people who worked down there.  But the real reason I asked that question was with the retirement visa, does that prevent you from working...

As for the motorcycle, if it is too much work, then it will become extra pocket cash because I don't need it that bad.  I am looking for a stress free life.. LOL.

jonoyakker wrote:

Joey,
The fact that you loved your visit to Panama is a great first step but as you mentioned, loving a visit and loving living here are two different things.

First off,8-10 years from now is a long time away so everything is subject to change. For one thing, Panama is booming so prices are rising...

Besides the finances, a reality check of expectations is highly recommended. I love living here but my reference point is from El Valle-I love the incredible natural beauty and the wonderful expat community here. We are a respectful, friendly, and giving group. We perform lots of community work. Other advantages here are a slow pace of life, and a tolerant local community. Those are the pluses. Here, the main drawbacks are that there is not much nightlife and shopping is limited. (But consumerism is something I was happy to get away from) Also winds at night are strong here in the Spring.

I think that what is most needed is a refocusing into slowing down, and being patient, respectful and friendly with everyone. If you can do that, you will make great friends quickly and enjoy life here. You will discover that life isn't about having possessions or "getting somewhere" which is the reality in N. America. If you have to have your way now, be forceful, and expect Panama to be like home, you will not be happy. Learning at least basic Spanish is a must IMO also. I also really recommend getting involved in volunteer projects-after all, service is the highest station in life.

I can't answer your legal questions, but an initial consultation with a recommended lawyer should be able to answer those few questions. But you need to decide what climate/area you want by researching and visiting. Any expat area has web forums-yahoo groups is a big one. You can also get recommendations there. Then move here and rent for at least several months. I recommend you get references for anyone you hire here, but that is true everywhere in the world. You will want to find out what it costs to ship your motorcycle here plus and import duty. You may decide that it isn't worth it and it's better to sell it there and then buy here.

I lived in Mexico for a while so I know what you mean about fitting in the community.  I am actually very open to the idea of living a slow paced life.  After the military and the rat race I am living in now, I can't wait to just be able to move like sloth and not do much of anything.

My plan is 8-10 years is because that is when I will be debt free.  If I can reach that milestone sooner than I a gone.  That is a worse case scenario. 

So you are saying that yahoo has some good forums?

invader609 wrote:

1st Pick another country...2nd 8-10 years from now???? You'll be lucky if monkeyboyobamamama hasn't stolen your savings and reduced your pension to pay for all the illegal wars and aliens demands.

If you are serious about leaving the USSA, do it now and look at Chile, Uruguay or Ecuador. The COL here is growing by the day. It's almost as expensive as the USSA now and in some cases even more. Gas is 4.30 for 91 octane and 4.00 for diesel. Meat in the super markets is now about $6.25/lb  when just last month it was $3.00/lb. Veggies have skyrocketed through the roof. The only cheap stuff is beer and liquor.

Everything you try to do here is a nightmare. No more gringo bank accounts unless you want to give up your whole family history with SS nbrs and CC nbrs. Pretty much the banks, lawyers, RE agents are totally useless along with immigration....dumb and dummer!!!!

So good luck......

I have looked at a few other countries.  Panama is just on the top of list.  I have looked at Mexico, Thailand, Ecuador and Uruguay.  I expect the COL to rise in no matter what country I decide to move too.  But 8-10 years is the worse case scenario for me.  I am trying to move sooner, but I don't want to wait no more than that long.  So if I can do it, then I am gone.

I totally understand what you are saying about our great Leader here.  But to tell you the truth, this country is going to the pots and I need a change.  A simpler way of life.  I really appreciate your response because it's showing a different point of view.  I like this so I can research those issues and educate myself on those problems that may arise.  I would really appreciate if you could continue to give me advice and tell me what else to look for.  All the good things is great, but it's good to have the other side of the coin as well.

Thanks a million!

Invader609, Don't know where you are shopping but I just filled my tank with diesel at $3.55/gallon-that's cheaper than the US. And I just bought pineapples for $.50 apiece, and a big bag of organic veggies from the farmer for $6.00. Food quality in Panama is way better than the gmo crap peddled in the States, btw.

I haven't been to either, but I'm told by people that have that Uraguay is very expensive, and that crime is a real problem in Equador.

I can live cheaper here (El Valle) than I can in the States. AND I could easily get by without a car here if I didn't have a business, which would save me more. But I don't recommend moving here if saving money is a big priority-no way. It's too much of a hassle to relocate overseas, and too much of an adjustment to make and to learn passing Spanish. You're not going to save a ton, that's for sure unless you want to live like a true peasant and buy only Panamanian products since many imported things are expensive.

As for Panamanian bank accounts, thanks to Uncle Sam it take lots of documentation and patience, but the average person doesn't need one.

jonoyakker wrote:

Invader609, Don't know where you are shopping but I just filled my tank with diesel at $3.55/gallon-that's cheaper than the US. And I just bought pineapples for $.50 apiece, and a big bag of organic veggies from the farmer for $6.00. Food quality in Panama is way better than the gmo crap peddled in the States, btw.

I haven't been to either, but I'm told by people that have that Uraguay is very expensive, and that crime is a real problem in Equador.

I can live cheaper here (El Valle) than I can in the States. AND I could easily get by without a car here if I didn't have a business, which would save me more. But I don't recommend moving here if saving money is a big priority-no way. It's too much of a hassle to relocate overseas, and too much of an adjustment to make and to learn passing Spanish. You're not going to save a ton, that's for sure unless you want to live like a true peasant and buy only Panamanian products since many imported things are expensive.

As for Panamanian bank accounts, thanks to Uncle Sam it take lots of documentation and patience, but the average person doesn't need one.

I am saving now.  From what I have read, I could live a pretty decent life for about $1100 a month.  I have a buddy who is moving down there with me as soon as his kids are out of school.  He was stationed down when he was in the Army.

How much would you consider for a single guy...what would be the expenses?  I am not trying to save money.  But I think I would be able to budget to have extra money.  I don't need much and I do plan on getting really involved in the Panama way of life.  I need something new.  That is why I am leaving the US.  Now you say you have your own business.  Is there any laws or is it easy for Americans to open something up?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but $1100/month affords only basic living now, but 8-10 years from now it will likely be extremely difficult to live anywhere.

It's not that hard to start a biz but again, how do you project conditions 8-10 years from now?

Maybe if you teamed up with a roomate. Who knows what will happen down the road. I am expecting chaos.

Absolutely correct sir!!!! When the SHTF in the X-good ol USSA...there will be a mass exodus....if they can escape. Then you'll see outrageous price increases for everything, including beer!!!

Me, we grow most everything we need including beef. We buy our pork, fish n chicken locally from organic growers only. Unfortunately, the criminal cartel here authorized the planting of GMO corn and rice. So be careful what you eat here. The USSA is dumping as much GMO products here and to the rest of the world as fast as they can. So the brands that you might see here all contain GMO ingredients. We try not to purchase USSA brands and buy EU brands or from countries that prohibit those poisons in food or used as feed. If memory serves me, I think Chile and Paraguay and maybe a few more in LA have banned all GMO stuff. Panama is bought and paid for like the USSA.

Anyway, got to go and feed the herd. KIT.

Jim

jonoyakker wrote:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but $1100/month affords only basic living now, but 8-10 years from now it will likely be extremely difficult to live anywhere.

It's not that hard to start a biz but again, how do you project conditions 8-10 years from now?

Maybe if you teamed up with a roomate. Who knows what will happen down the road. I am expecting chaos.

I hear what you are saying bro.  I guess it's a wait and see... but thanks for the info bro..

invader609 wrote:

Absolutely correct sir!!!! When the SHTF in the X-good ol USSA...there will be a mass exodus....if they can escape. Then you'll see outrageous price increases for everything, including beer!!!

Me, we grow most everything we need including beef. We buy our pork, fish n chicken locally from organic growers only. Unfortunately, the criminal cartel here authorized the planting of GMO corn and rice. So be careful what you eat here. The USSA is dumping as much GMO products here and to the rest of the world as fast as they can. So the brands that you might see here all contain GMO ingredients. We try not to purchase USSA brands and buy EU brands or from countries that prohibit those poisons in food or used as feed. If memory serves me, I think Chile and Paraguay and maybe a few more in LA have banned all GMO stuff. Panama is bought and paid for like the USSA.

Anyway, got to go and feed the herd. KIT.

Jim

Thanks for the info bro.  I will continue to research.  I'm hoping I can get on the right path.

I have visited Panama twice and loved it, but had a hard time dealing with the heat and humidity.  You said you lived in Florida which I do now and can't stand the humidity.  That's the major downside of moving to Panama or any ca or sa country.  I am considering a third trip to check out Bouquette, David and Volcan to see if that area works for me, but the info. I have is the cost to live in those areas has gone up considerably with all the expats moving there.

We also lived in FL before moving here, but thankfully we don't mind the humidity (we're in David). Boquete is cooler but there is still humidity. I think Volcan is less humid, and less expensive because it isn't overrun with expats. It's really beautiful up there too. It will be interesting to see how you feel about these areas when you visit.

Kris

palmtree22 wrote:

I have visited Panama twice and loved it, but had a hard time dealing with the heat and humidity.  You said you lived in Florida which I do now and can't stand the humidity.  That's the major downside of moving to Panama or any ca or sa country.  I am considering a third trip to check out Bouquette, David and Volcan to see if that area works for me, but the info. I have is the cost to live in those areas has gone up considerably with all the expats moving there.

Things change fast here, so it is impossible to plan 10 years down the road, if P is in your sights. Laws change.... culture modification, new roads, subway, canal enlargement, cleansing of the harbour, visa rule changes, construction everywhere....... I have lived here for almost a year and I have already seen so many changes!!!

Yes. You can get your PENSIONADO VISA and return when you like. No restrictions and you have the option of living here indefinitely. So, it makes sense to get it now and use it later. While you are at it your lawyer can also do the paperwork for a cedula.

A couple can live decently in Panama city on $500 per month, plus rent or mortgage. Housing costs vary considerably and really depends on your taste and location. My figure includes, basic groceries, utilities, gasoline, insurance (auto, health) etc. It does not include travel, airfare, imported steak etc. You can buy locally grown stuff in the MERCADO DE ABASTOS for peanuts e.g. a dozen mangoes for $1, large avocado for $0.55, pineapple $0.85, $1 could buy you a whole bunch of bananas, literally. This market is where the country folk bring their produce to PANAMA CITY to be sold to the supermarkets, restaurants etc. As a consumer you pay 25 cents to drive in and pull up to the various stalls,pickups and trucks loaded with produce from the interior. You can buy huge shrimps (langostinos) in the  MERCADO DE MARISCOS for $7 per pound and Red Snapper fish from 3-5 dollars per pound, depending on size and time of day. You can function at any of several levels here. Lots of choices!!!!!

Gasoline is the same or a bit cheaper than in the U.S. Diesel is definitely cheaper unlike in the U.S.

kristc99 wrote:

We also lived in FL before moving here, but thankfully we don't mind the humidity (we're in David). Boquete is cooler but there is still humidity. I think Volcan is less humid, and less expensive because it isn't overrun with expats. It's really beautiful up there too. It will be interesting to see how you feel about these areas when you visit.

Kris

palmtree22 wrote:

I am going to have to check Volcan out then....

nfoote wrote:

A couple can live decently in Panama city on $500 per month, plus rent or mortgage. Housing costs vary considerably and really depends on your taste and location. My figure includes, basic groceries, utilities, gasoline, insurance (auto, health) etc. It does not include travel, airfare, imported steak etc. You can buy locally grown stuff in the MERCADO DE ABASTOS for peanuts e.g. a dozen mangoes for $1, large avocado for $0.55, pineapple $0.85, $1 could buy you a whole bunch of bananas, literally. This market is where the country folk bring their produce to PANAMA CITY to be sold to the supermarkets, restaurants etc. As a consumer you pay 25 cents to drive in and pull up to the various stalls,pickups and trucks loaded with produce from the interior. You can buy huge shrimps (langostinos) in the  MERCADO DE MARISCOS for $7 per pound and Red Snapper fish from 3-5 dollars per pound, depending on size and time of day. You can function at any of several levels here. Lots of choices!!!!!

Gasoline is the same or a bit cheaper than in the U.S. Diesel is definitely cheaper unlike in the U.S.

Nfote... thanks for the info.  Yeah I know things can change.  Planning that far out things will be different.  But right now it's a plan and I know it will have to be modified.  The things you wrote are pretty good and with what I make from my retirement and disability I should do just fine.  Just need to my things in order.  8-10 is just a long figure.  I am actually trying to get there soon. 

Also... what is a credua????

Hi there, I was just reading the post and saw you comment. I live in Volcan half of the  year and the other in Weston and Naples Florida.
I love the weather in Volcan, even thou some days you can feel too much breeze or rain, but in average, is nice and cheap.
I am taking pictures to share about Volcan, and will start making daily writings to share too.
volcanchiriquipty.blogspot.com/

How much does an attorney charge for the pensionaldo Visa?
Thanks

About $2-3K should do it plus running back and forth to PTY about 3-4 times for fotos and other nonsense that could be done in other cities.

Enjoy the experience !!!

hello!!! My name is Jose, and new to this Expat.com, retired in 2012 in Florida. I am 60 years old, single. I had been looking and searching for places to moved and retired. I visited Panama in May this year, 2013, and stayed for a month. Visited Panama City, David and Boquete, liked it!!!! I have a question, can you go thru the Pensionado Visa request on your own or is mandatory using a lawyer?

If you speak Panamanian Spanish (it has many words that are local meaning) as rapidly as a Panamanian, have many weeks to waste sitting in Migracion, know where the various places are that you must go to get the various documents notarized, plus so much more, than yes you can do it yourself, if not then you would be best served to get an attorney that knows the process, has their "guy" that can expedite your documents through Migration and so much more. However, that being said be careful which attorney you hire. Ask here and on other forums for recommendations.

The law says you need a POA to be represented in immigration.
When you hire an attorney he will have to be register to present your case and follow up.

http://www.migracion.gob.pa/images/Noti … IONADO.pdf

thank you.